how much boost to run???

chumanga

im gettin ready to sell my car when its running right... and i went from bone stock to doing quite a few mods(see sig) and dont know what would be a good starting point.. but with my mods and running 93 octane how much boost should i run at the most w/o any knock. and what should be a good number for being pretty quick on the street, not cranked up like at the track?

thanks Lance

WOW u serious? i dont think i can even limit boost that low with my deltagate.... what mods do u have? any other #'s i tried a search and i saw one of 18psi but i dont know if that was race fuel or what?

had a little bit more luck with my search this last time, but not really what im looking for, most of the threads i found were for stock cars... well mines not stock :biggrin: and if its not a stock car its with race fuel or alky. anyone with a similar combo as mine know what is good to run on the street? im getting knock at 10psi now... only took it out once and adjusted the fp one time since ive got my new chip. but im pretty sure i shouldnt be getting knock at 10, so im looking for a number to shoot for... so that i dont tune it at like 12 with another problem that im getting the knock from when i could be running like 18 or sumthing :cool:

thanks

chumanga said:
had a little bit more luck with my search this last time, but not really what im looking for, most of the threads i found were for stock cars... well mines not stock :biggrin: and if its not a stock car its with race fuel or alky. anyone with a similar combo as mine know what is good to run on the street? im getting knock at 10psi now... only took it out once and adjusted the fp one time since ive got my new chip. but im pretty sure i shouldnt be getting knock at 10, so im looking for a number to shoot for... so that i dont tune it at like 12 with another problem that im getting the knock from when i could be running like 18 or sumthing :cool:

thanks

You are correct you "should be able" to run more than 10 PSI on alky.
Find the source of the knock first and fix that before you proceed.

Edit .......
LONG day. You are NOT running alky ......... My applogies for the confusion. :rolleyes:

i made a few runs today on a strip of road near my home and managed to make multiple passes with no knock at 10psi(delta gate min.) now the reason for this thread was just to get an idea of what not to try and push it past with my combo. because i know running 15psi on a stock car is different than running 15 psi with my combo. whats a good stopping point in your opinion for a street driven car?

thanks

chumanga said:
i made a few runs today on a strip of road near my home and managed to make multiple passes with no knock at 10psi(delta gate min.) now the reason for this thread was just to get an idea of what not to try and push it past with my combo. because i know running 15psi on a stock car is different than running 15 psi with my combo. whats a good stopping point in your opinion for a street driven car?

thanks
It's hard for us to give you an accurate answer for this question. This can vary from day to day depending on air temp and humidity. Also, in your sig you say you have a stock turbo bored for a bigger compressor wheel. That's no longer a stock turbo. We need to know what compressor wheel is in there. How big is it? A bigger turbo will flow more air with less heat =less knock = more power. The amount of timing in your chip is going to affect how much boost you can run as well. I would say that you should shoot for 14-15 lbs in this cooler weather. Maybe more. Just start around 12 and keep upping it a pound at a time until you see some knock.

k thanks, it flows the same as a ta49, chip is from eric at turbotweak and he took out 17-18 degrees of timing

I have a 85 GN mostly stock. Adj. fp regulator, hot wire+ Walbaro fp, adj. wastegate. All the fun gauges....of course. Just tuned on it a little bit tonight. I was able to get boost between 13-15 lbs. no knock, running on 93 oct. Fuel pres. @ 43lbs line off. Tuning with T-link. Tomorrow I might try uping the fuel and the boost 1 lb. at a time. Went to put CAM2 in it, gone for the season!!!!!! Damn!!!!! Starting to run pretty good, hope this helps. Dave