How many MPH does 5K RPM =

Sisaro

Just wanted to know i have an 84 Hot Air and i managed to tac it up to over 5k RPM's while playing with another Turbo6.

well.. depends... if you were in 3rd(1:1 ratio) take engine rpm divided by gear ratio.. multiply by the tire heighth.. then divide by 336... 5000/3.42x___/336. hope this helps

We would need to know:

Rear end gear ratio
Tire diameter
Type of transmission
(If 2004R were you in 3rd or OD?)
Torque converter slippage (or converter locked up?)

Let's assume some things....

Stock rear gears.....3.42
Tire diameter...........26"
2004R in 3rd gear..1 to 1
Converter locked...no slippage

That would equate to 113 mph.

See http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/mph_range.php

Originally posted by Sisaro
Just wanted to know i have an 84 Hot Air and i managed to tac it up to over 5k RPM's while playing with another Turbo6.

Depends on trans ratio, rear ratio, tire size, and converter slip %.

5000rpm in 4th (I believe ~.7:1) 3.42 gears and a 26" tall tire puts you around 155mph at 7% slip

3rd with no slip (TCC locked) is as Chris said, ~113mph

i was in OD
with stock Gearing in lockup
and Stock Tire Diameter

LOL i didnt realize my Hot air could Run against an 87 GN on topend :)

Interesting. If we use 25" for the stock tire diameter (guess) then you were doing 162 mph according to the chart. :D

I was playing with an 87 GN on the way back from phoenix

I wish i would have had a 3 inch downpipe, headers and an intercooler because i kept overboosting and had to keep modulating the throttle to keep it between 15 and 18 psi. If i had those i would not of had problems running 20 psi....

thats scary with a stock dry rotted suspension :D

Or, like the rest of us, your factory tach is off by a 1000 RPM's.

Car and driver, in their original road test of an '86 GN said 5000 RPM = 109 mph in Drive.

Pulling a real 5K in OD in a hot air, or even a intercooled car, is a tough trick that would take at least a mile and 1/2 and at least 40 seconds of full throttle from a 60 mph roll... unless it was out on the 1 mile down hill on hwy 89 out west of Wickenburg. You could probably do it there.

Yes im in the AF.

and i was driving back to Tucson from Phoenix i had around 137(give or take10 miles) miles of road to travel.... we made it back in 45min

and it was from a 75 roll