Hot Air Intakes

6PacktoGo

Moderator / Curmudgeon
What I've learned so far:

First, there are two ports that cannot be made equal to the other four without welding them on the outside. The same is actually true of the 86/87 intakes. The ports have a nasty twist and are necked down right behind the injector boss.

Second, checking individual ports on a flow bench WILL NOT tell you about air distribution. You can make each port flow EXACTLY the same, but that DOES NOT guarantee that each port will get the same amount of air when the engine runs.

Third, plenum design and shape is why there are air distribution problems.

Fourth, the stock plenum is divided and restricted, that's why there does not seem to be a problem with the stock plenum.

Fifth, some modified plenums have SERIOUS problems and may have SEVERE air distribution problems due to their design.

Sixth, the way to test for equal airflow is beyond the capability of most flow benches and operators. No, I'm NOT going to divulge how to do it, because I'm not telling everyone how to do what cost me a great deal of time and money to figure out, I do this for a living. Ask Jason Cramer about it, the plenum plate he makes is designed to solve the air distribution problem in the 86/87 intake, and the hot air intake is harder to work with.

I've seen a serious flaw in the design of the Turbo Motion open plenum intake, and what happened to Lee leads me to believe that flaw causes a major problem, because Lee's problem proves my theory on what that plenum flaw will do.

I think I can solve the plenum design problem, when I do, I'll say I did, and if I can't I'll say I can't. In fact, I'm pretty sure I already have solved it. Do not expect me to post pictures showing everyone how to duplicate what I do since it has cost me plenty of time and money.

Not everyone needs or wants the fully modified open plenum intake, and I'm not going to try to sell them. I'm developing an intake because I want one for myself, and I have a couple of friends interested. Few if any will want to pay what I'll have to charge for these intakes anyway, because I'm not going to fool with making them for intercooler setups. It takes about 40 hours to make one of these intakes work to the point I have them now.

Much like Lee Thompson's custom hot air headers, it is practically impossible to charge what it is worth or to make money on them. If you throw out the cost of materials, wear and tear on equipment, and R&D time, just the labor is actually worth $2K. If I sold them at $800 each, most would say they were way over priced and I would actually lose money on every single one. Selling them at $800 would work out to $20 an hour for labor and $0 for shop use and R&D time which would have to be amortized into the cost of each intake for profitability. Try getting anything done for $20 an hour and you'll see what I mean. The only reason for me to even TRY to sell these is to recoup what I've spent doing this for myself, so doing them real cheap isn't even worth thinking about.

Answers??

Guess this pretty much answers some folks questions doesn't it??

6pak to go wrote:

I think I can solve the plenum design problem, when I do, I'll say I did, and if I can't I'll say I can't. In fact, I'm pretty sure I already have solved it. Do not expect me to post pictures showing everyone how to duplicate what I do since it has cost me plenty of time and money.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

no offence but that come off as kinda rude, and i personally dont buy anything from someone with that kinda attitude whether its cheap, expensive, works ungodly well or whatever. no flame im glad your makin progress and all, im just saying that statement came over as rude to me.

Maybe Alan is a just a little blunt but i dont think rude. I think hes just saying that its gonna be steep and he knows people are gonna moan about the price. Nothing wrong with that if its as good as he says. Like the old saying "Speed costs money".

it's kinda like the adult version of saying "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers" :rolleyes:

no,i'd say it's more like: "i'm a professional and i'm not gonna get in over my head selling parts at a loss to try to make buddies on an internet board".

ask jay,dave and mease how well that works...:rolleyes:

then why even let us know that you came up with a way to open the plenum to give better airflow...I personally could care less that YOU know how to help some of us out, and are not going to do it? Seems to me that if you wanted your findings to be so sacred, and not lend a hand, that you should just keep your idea's and findings to yourself...your entire post w/ the exception of what's WRONG w/ our intakes is pointless...:rolleyes:

my $.02 :rolleyes:

O...and I'm not being rude...just blunt... ;)

However it "came off" to you depends upon your view point. Several people asked me about doing this and said they'd be willing to pay. Then, when I got into it, and told them I wasn't going to do it for $400 (I never said I was), they got mad and said it wasn't worth it. I've got a hundred hours in this at least already, and before I said anything other than, "I think I can do it, I know what the problem is, but the cost will be in the $800 zone", people drop off like water off a ducks back, and whine about outrageous prices.

It is real easy for plenty of people to say they want something and are willing to pay for it, but it is real common for those deals to fall through. Go do a search, and see how many "group purchases" have fallen through because the "buyers" backed out. It's REAL common in case you don't know.

I also never said I wouldn't make the intakes, I said I would not do them cheap, and I knew most didn't need them and wouldn't want to pay for it.

As far as my attitude goes, anyone who knows me and has dealt with me will tell you, I'm straight forward, blunt, and I don't mince words. I tell it like I see it, and I don't candy coat anything. If you can't handle the truth, don't ask the question. Several people have been posting questions and I posted some answers, and told people where the project stood and where I stood. It's that simple. I have no idea where certain people around here get the idea that people should develop solutions at a substantial cost and GIVE it away. I can tell you as a business man that 100 hours of work is not free, even if you throw out the labor. It costs money to keep the lights and heat on, and the materials aren't free either. If you figure the average shop labor rate is $55 per hour, so far I've got over $5500 in this little exercise, not counting electricity, Argon, aluminum plate, aluminum wleding rod, and wear and tear on equipment and tooling. So I'm at $5500 so far, and need another 40 hours at least of R&D time. And it will take between 30 and 40 hours to produce a finished intake. If I sold them at $800 each, that would pay me $20 to $26 per hour, WITHOUT shop and material expenses, and never recouping the $5500+ already spent. And just as I figured, when I said most people don't want or need to spend the money, at least one says I should just give the information away.

I've gotten 12 emails and 5 phone calls since I started this thread. Every one of them has been in solid support of my position on it. And all of them are well respected members of the community, and more than one of them is a vendor, and popular ones at that. I'm not doing this for free, or even cheap, I've been in businees in one form or another, part or full time, for 20 years, and I'm not going out of business like the last two guys who were building intakes. And I won't be taking money BEFORE I deliver parts like they were either. I have standing orders for 3 intakes besides mine and another I'm doing as a favor. If that's all I ever build, so be it.

Dude, how much time you have in a project means nothing if you designed it because you wanted it for your own reasons.. you can't charge for hundreds of hours that you spent on a intake for your self... how much time would it take to make one, given that you already made your own intake, and you can easily do it again with the knowledge gained from designing yours? surely not 40 hours..

secondly, you basicly sounded like "I made a uber intake, but im not going to tell you how, because i wasted time on it, even though i wanted it for myself"

what do you want? people to line up and pay $2000 for a intake?

what YOU spent on a intake for YOUR car should NOT be reflected in what a customer should pay.. you charge straight up labor and materials, I would figure $600 would be a fair price to charge for modifying an intake.

Turbo motion's kit may have had flaws, but the track times were definitely impressive no less, and top top it all, with the intercooler, piping, and intake work for $1300, that was a good price.. If you want to charge $2000 for labor alone because it took you 40 hours to figure out how to make it in the first place, don't expect anyone to buy it. .. why dont you charge them for the cost of your tools as well?

And another thing, why do people always have to go "well i spent time on it so im not going to show YOU how to do it.. i'm greedy.. i wanted a project for myself, others were interested so ill charge THEM for my project.."

information is what keeps the community alive, not rude arrogance.

ok i'm done ranting.. :mad:

Good business sense??

Jay wrote:
And another thing, why do people always have to go "well i spent time on it so im not going to show YOU how to do it.. i'm greedy.. i wanted a project for myself, others were interested so ill charge THEM for my project.."

I guess Bill Gates worked under this premise too. A shame it didn't "work out"!!

Back under my GN!:D :D :D

Bill gates designed windows to make money, this case, he designed an intake for his own car, and other people hjust happened to be intrested as well.. different principals, and bill gates is still a evil bastard!

Originally posted by JayLashua
bill gates is still a evil bastard!
he's an evil bast'id with lots of money and hot women. I wanna be like Bill Gates, minus the evil part :D

Jay, I was asked by some other people to see what I could do, and since I have a hot air car, I figured I'd give it a shot. Then I told them how much time it took just to make the intake, and how much it would cost to do it and make some semblance of a profit. They cried and whined and said they'd do it themselves. I actually did them a favor by telling them what they were up against.

Unless you've done professional porting and polishing, TIG welding, machine work (ie Bridgeport milling etc.), and serious custom fabrication, YOU have no idea what it takes in time, effort, and materials to make what amounts to a sheetmetal intake inside a stock casting. So unless YOU want to do it, don't tell ME how much I should charge. First off you aren't paying my expenses for shop operation, you haven't bought the equipment, and you are not trying to run a business and make a living doing high end custom work. You have no earthly idea what it costs to actually operate a speed and machine shop, do you? If you think that it is possible to charge less than $60 per hour of labor and survive, at least on a regular basis, I KNOW you have no idea what you are even talking about.

As far as what I've done for the community, tell me how many cars YOU have fixed for FREE, over the Internet and over the phone. Tell me how many new products YOU have developed or are developing for turbo Buicks. You want to talk about rude and arrogant, where do YOU get off telling me what my time is worth? You show me what debt I OWE to this community. I've paid my dues big boy, ask around.

Oh, and I KNOW why Turbo Motion and GNT Performance/S&S went out of business, it's called a screwed up lifestyle and crappy business practices. There are those of us who put 60 hours a week into business and don't take deposits on parts they don't have and can't produce, and then there are those who get caught and get put out of business. Guess which one I am, and guess which one THEY are. I've been in business part or full time for 20 years, and my business is GROWING, not closing. Ever see anyone accusing me of taking money and not sending parts? Thought so.

Your opinion of me and $5 will get me a #6 combo meal at Wendys, you do the math as to what your opinion is worth. :rolleyes:

Right.. **** who wants to jus tbreak even any more..sigh.... say it does take you 40 hours, $2400 in labor right there.. why would anybody pay that kind of money for intake work? you sound like bill gates in the movie "pirates of silicon valley" "well now that it's obvious you need our basic, blah blah, why dont i charge you double, and you will pay it because you have nowhere else to go"

you're trying to say, that by charging, $600, $800, hell maybe even a GRAND on a intake job you'd loose so much money it wouldnt even be worth it?

and GN/T T/M certainly made enough money, though what they chose to do with it is their own problems.. oh wait, dave was in business for roughly 10 years before he just "got caught" and went ouf of business.. hmm.. he was making fat rolls of cash and building 10 second cars... but then again, taking on too much business can have a bad side effect.. and you can be SURE you wont get an overload of customers at $2400 :D

If I designed someone a web page, I charge them $50 an hour.. reasonable, but the computer, the software, the hardware , the monitor, the desk, the comfy chair i sit my ass in all day, i don't charge the people for tha.t. nor do i charge the people for the 7 years i spent learning all the **** i know..

I can see putting 20 to 30 hours into a website, one with a severe amount of custom scripting and graphic work, but 40 hours into a intake? you spend 5 8 hour work days working on JUST an intake? if you honestly do that good of a job with it, and it legitimately consumes that much time, hey whatever, i guess it's fair, but you've basicly made the point that its your duty to charge the customers for everything possible .. labor IS profit... $2000 on a intake wont help cover maintanence on your machinery, or put food in your familys stomach? or pay the electric bill?

Jay, no reason to try to reason with an unreasonable person.Out of every 100 people you meet on here you will find about 3 or 4 that think there **** dont stink. Or in this case simply dont want to be bothered.Most of the people on here are a big help. there is a person that lives here in newport news that has a lot of nowledge on these intakes, if you have questions concerning contact REDSHOTAIR

nah dont hammer me..:)

I spent alot of time playing around inside one and yes I spent many many hours in there but if I were going to make more than one which I dont plan to then it wouldnt take 1/3 the time and I would of made templates for all the plates and cut several sets at a time

but I'm not looking to build any intakes at this time so dont look at me..:D

I can believe the hours to get it all figured out but you cant say it will take that long on all of them..If you do the same job more than once your time will cut down drastically over the experimental phase.

and no I didint do it on a flow bench I used my motor to test it till I got all cylinders burning equally

flow bench will get you nowhere with the intake design unless you build 6 restrictors so you can get the manifold to pressurize and then the restrictors would have to be away from the runners to not cause turbulance

then on top of that you have no way to simulate intake pulses from valves opening and closing so only way I found possible to do it was to test it on my running motor

I dont dought you or your products but to charge for what you learned expermenting on your own stuff will be hard to do since not all but most of the hotair crowd are lower income then the faster guys on here and plain wont be able to afford it.

heck if shopping carefully you can covert to 86-87 stuff for around $1500

good luck guys I'm outta this ..;)

what if we did a group session on the intake build up...would the price be cheaper? I must say the thread is intriguing. Alan, wanna make a goup buy out of this? LOL Help Me Help You *Jerry McGuire*

I had my share working at a machine shop as summer help. I never did the BIG stuf, just the minor milling, boring, porting, crap. I never really did huge fabricating like "making a sheet metal intake out of the stock manifold" is that possible? I guess it is. I still have ties to them, and they let me use their tools still...In some way, I know what 6packtogo is saying about the time, effort, and other bullsh*t that goes around. discoveries should be commended and shared, in this case...for a price...that's cool :rolleyes:. The idea everyone got was the "nyah nyah...look what I found...I'm not gonna show you" idea. I dont know if that was the whole idea....but that was the vibe I was catching. some of us dont give a rat's ass about it...some of us do...me? I'm neutral...I'll watch on the sideline and see what happens..then I'll join the band wagon when it's safe :p.

Hmm....Alan, maybe you can give me some ideas as to what else I can do to my intake since it's cracked open? http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63467 :D For Free of course :p

Come on guys, turn this thread into something positive. **chant**group buy...group buy...cheaper price...cheaper price**chant**

Everyone, go back and read the original post, and read it again, "I am not going to try to sell them" also" I think I can solve the design problem,when I do I'll say I did,and if I cant', I'll say I can't" , 6packtogo has stated valid points on the flaws of the design, which is enough advice to most, not to try and cut up a hot air intake and just hope for results. Maybe you will ( better track times) and maybe you won't ( a pile of scrap aluminum) and now you have to by anouther intake. If his design is proven to work, great, if it just totally awesome, then even better, and if it is, because he kept his design ideas for whatever reason, it's his business and also "free enterprise" if he decides to make any for anyone else at what price that is agreeable to buyer and seller. That's the way it is anywhere, once again the design can prove itself, and any custom work car, bike, plane, boat, whatever costs,especially machine work. Once again he does bring up valid points, and that in itself is information. There are a lot of exotic cars out there I would like to buy, in reality they should be cheaper, the cost of materials, labor ,etc. is similar to say a vette or viper, but they cost between $200,000 to over $1,000,000 , whether research and development, rarity, whatever, supply and demand.

First off, several people missed some very obvious points.

I said that building the intakes was a basically non profit enterprise at best. With the amount of hand work in both the porting and polishing, and the fabrication, plus the need to double check a lot on the flow bench (you don't want to get one that doesn't work, do you?). You have to understand, $20 per hour is a reasonable rate, TO PAY A PERSON. But as a shop, you cannot charge $20 an hour for this kind of work. This could ONLY be done as a "part time do it when you can" type project. Average shop labor for anything is $55 an hour, why should I expect to charge less for a major project. Does your grocer charge you 50% less if you buy twice the groceries. Does your gas station charge you 50% less if you buy twice the gas? Shall I go on?

Realize first that a good set of ported and polished heads far exceeds $800 complete, I think Champion gets well over $1K for their ported iron heads. Look at a set, and tell me how much welding and fabrication you see. NONE. And they do thiers CNC, set the machine up, and go do something else. That simply does not work with welding and hand fabrication.

Realize that I have a 5000 sq. ft. shop, with nearly $100K in equipment, and $1K a month in basic overhead, like taxes, utilities, waste disposal, and just upkeep and repairs. It just does not run for free. You think if I charge $20 per hour to do an intake that I TAKE HOME $20 an hour? More like minimum wage plus a couple bucks, at best.

Let me describe for you what goes into fabricating one of these.

First, set it up in a Bridgeport, to cut it open the right way. The Bridgeport (mine is really an Enco) is a 3 phase machine, 3 HP. So I have to turn on a 5HP 3 phase converter, it uses a lot of electricity. Set up takes about 30 minutes, and it takes at least an hour to an hour and a half to cut the intake out.

Next, I weld the two ports to allow room to equalize them, weld the narrow section at the inlet to widen it, and then weld plates in the two fake ports inside. A TIG welder requires electricity, water (cooling tower), Argon, Tungsten electrodes, and filler rod. This welding takes over an hour.

Next, back to the mill, where we make the roof of the plenum, out of 5052 aluminum plate. Then we widen the narrow section of the inlet. Takes an hour or so, plus setup time.

Next, back to the welder, to put in the plenum roof. About a half hour or so.

Back to the mill, to do the heavy part of blending the plenum roof.
Half an hour.

Then, off to the porting bench. Now we port and polish the actual ports, and finish blending the plenum roof. This takes 4-6 hours.

Now, we move to the flow bench, has a 10 HP motor that drives a 6-71 blower, takes plenty of electricity, and is deafening, I can't hear the phone, or any customer who may walk in. We take a prefabbed basic plenum and attach it to the intake, and check the runners for flow. We allow +/- 5-7 cfm variance between all 6 runners. This takes well over two hours, closer to three.

Back at the porting bench, we bring any low ports up to meet the better ports, and all reach the flow level we expect. Takes an hour or so to get there.

Back to the flow bench to verify everything is correct so far. Another hour and a half minumum. Sometimes two and a half since here we go back and forth between the flow bench and the porting bench.

Now, after all that, we have to build the two side walls, the front wall, and the floor of the plenum.

First, back to the mill to cut out the basic pieces and rough them in. Takes an hour or so.

Over to the welder now. First, we make the front wall, I'll just tell you it is not a single flat piece, nor is it curved like the T-M version. We weld it together, and weld it in. The two side walls are fairly simple, we weld them in too. Then we shape and weld together the plenum floor, with the flow correcting "appendages".
We're here about three and a half hours, because the pieces have to fit just right, and it is very difficult to weld in a tight area on a piece of aluminum that will charr your flesh if you touch it.

Back to the porting bench to smooth and blend the front and side walls where they are welded in, and to finish the plenum floor so it can be welded in. An hour and a half at least.

Finally, back to the welder, we weld the plenum floor in. Takes over an hour, you can't rush any of this, warp it and it's junk.

Now we head over to a solvent tank to check for leaks, and back to the welder to repair them if required. Another hour.

And now, the flow bench again, to verify under pressure that there are no leaks. Then, we set up a test fixture to measure air flow and pressure at all six ports, to make sure we don't send out a problem. Setting up and measuring all of this takes three to four hours, due to the need to set up devices to measure with at all six ports, and to take and verify the readings at least twice.

Then we have to fabricate and weld on the lower cover so that hot oil stays off of the bottom of the plenum, and that those areas exposed by cutting the intake open are sealed off again as they should be. Two hours

All of that assumes that every step goes perfectly, or at least 90% error free. That's near 30 hours on an intake that goes very well, and I left out cleaning and stripping the intake, verifying that the intake itself is sound and solid, and needs no repairs to begin with. Nor does it count setting the intake up in a Storm Vulcan 85B and truing the flanges to assure that it bolts flat and perfect to the heads and block.

Now I have a family (a wife, two kids, and two dogs), they like to eat, sleep in a house, and wear clothes, and I have a couple of cars that I'd like to enjoy just like you enjoy yours. I'm near 40, and I'd like to be secure in knowing that if I get old enough I can't work but I don't die, I'll have retirement savings so I don't like in a one room apartment and eat Alpo.

I can go ANYWHERE around here and make near $20 an hour, and as much as $24 an hour, working for someone else, with no overhead. Do you REALLY think it's reasonable to expect me to charge you $20 an hour BEFORE all of my overhead and expenses, leaving me with a couple of dollars over MINIMUM WAGE, so that YOU can enjoy YOUR car and YOUR hobby, while my car sits because I can't afford to by parts for it? While I STRUGGLE to pay my bills, while I have nothing to save for retirement? Dream on.

The truth is, 1 out of 1000 hot air owners could even make use of the intake done right, and I know that. If you don't have a $5K engine to put it on, go to that other company and get a regular port job done for $300. I figure if I don't charge $800+ to do an intake, I'm taking money out of my pocket. And I don't feel I owe it to anyone to give them my test data, or the methods I use to get it, including how to measure the air flow, and how to make the plenum work. The vast majority of you don't NEED this intake, and I don't expect you to want it or buy it. I had initially hoped I could come up with a simple easy fix, and do these for $600 and make a reasonable profit, but it just ain't gonna happen. To get production costs down, I'd have to automate a bunch of fabrication and farm it out to someone with CNC machinery. Somehow, I don't see there being a market to support that. There just ain't a couple hundred plus people out there wanting a $600 intake for a hot air Buick.

For those of you trying to save a buck and do it yourself, I told you how thin the ice you were playing on was, and what the problem was. If you think you can do it, have at it, I'm sure there is someone out there better than I am, several out there already think they're smarter than I am. But do not expect me to give away knowledge gained at great effort and expense so you can get the same results I do for free, or take it to someone else and have them do it, so they can make money selling cheap copies.

I never wanted to make a killing, I never tried to make a killing, I'm trying to make a living, and to afford to play with my toys, just like the rest of you.

And Jay, with all due respect, I'm sure you do every bit as good a web page as I do an engine, transmission, or rearend, but somehow the overhead you described in your business just doesn't seem to compare to mine.