High speed HVAC blower problem.

Low Budget

I have no high speed. The resistor coil looks like new. I can make the blower run on high speed if I jump the orange to purple at blower relay connector. Fine I thought. The relay must be bad. So I put a new one on, and the high speed still doesn't work. I tried previously to jump the orange and brown/white wires at the switch, and that didn't work, so the switch at least was not the only problem if at all. The wires check out ok between the switch and the blower resistors. What am I missing here. There is a control problem somewhere, because I can make the blower run on high, as stated earlier, by jumping past the relay. The switch must be on high for this test to work, so there's a second check for the switch. It should be good. Is there a componant I am leaving out? Anything tied through the A/C? I have good cold air, now I'd like to feel it with a bit more velocity! I have schematics, and I just don't see anything else tied in here. Maybe I need to check the black (ground) leg going to the relay connector. I'll trace that back to ground tomorrow. I guess that could give me trouble. If anybody can jump in meanwhile, that'd be great!

Thanks,
Jeff

Jump the thick red wire to the purple.

If it doesn't turn on follow the red wire to a connector over near the power antenna wiring and location on the fenderwell area.

Find a connector down there it goes into.

Prolly cooked a bit so wiggle it around until you get high speed operation.

Also make sure the blower motor and relay connector black wires go to a good ground point. :)

I had this problem with the connector which is near the power antenna wiring.Where the thick red wire goes into the connector it looked burned inside the connector.Not everyone agrees with this,but I cut the red wire on each side of the connector and just spliced it back together and taped it up REAL GOOD and tucked it back down inside the fender area where it was.It's been working fine since '97.

I have done the same repair as 2QWIK4U...

...to dozens of G-Bodies, and a few other GM cars as well. Time and weather are not kind to that style of connector carrying that much current. :cool:

I agree with the time and weather assessment completely. I just saw mine and it was cruddy and green inside. This was in fact my problem too. Thanks guys. I would have had a much harder time figuring this out without you. I didn't bypass the connector this time, but if it gets me again I will.

I have a spare blower relay now. :D

We all do. ;)

Use it to turn on a fan or alky. stuff. Lotsa good uses for an automotive high current relay. :)