help with matching amp with speakers

bearnone

joe bear
need some help i have kenwood 6'9s 500 watts peak 90rms 4ohm what amp would i match with that.thanks:confused:

need some help i have kenwood 6'9s 500 watts peak 90rms 4ohm what amp would i match with that.thanks:confused:

you cant have too much power...meaning that you are better off with an amp with more than enough power so it wont distort before your desired music level is reached.....100 watt rms per channel would be good.maybe get a four channel so if you want to add a sub later the amp can grow with your system goals...

one neat trick to quickly tell an amps rms output.....check the amps fuses...example; is the amp has a 30a fuse,multiply by 12 volts (30x12=360 watts) 360 watts.....is not exact,but you can cut through all the bs now a days that manufactures put on amps....

thanks you. i just learned alot i thought if the speakers were 500 watts each i could run a 1000 watt amp. you save my speakers thanks again.:

thanks you. i just learned alot i thought if the speakers were 500 watts each i could run a 1000 watt amp. you save my speakers thanks again.:

"500w max" means on a surge of power it can handle up to 500w. The RMS rating is what it can handle at a constant rate. The max is basically what the speaker can handle at the particular songs highest sound point, or db rating. The amp you use is what produces this specific amount of power at that particular time in the song. Think of it as watching an equalizer board - every note hits a different level, in the red, yellow, or green (assuming you're using a color-coded EQ, of course).
As far as what amp you choose is just like with anything else - you will get what you pay for. Now, Kenwood isnt necessarily the cream of the crop, but it is good for the everyday music listener. I would pair something of equal value to it. Try looking at the Kenwood amps. The best bang for your buck however will probably be TMA. They are made by JL Audio, which is a company known for its amps and subs. They are very good, just dont use all the same highest-quality parts as the JLs do. Also, you said 6x9s right? Rear speakers are used for rear fill. A lot of the audiophile or competition guys dont even use rears for imaging purposes. I personally have a pair of Infinity reference components in the front (came with the car) and a pair of Blaupunkts i got for $12 brand new at a pawn shop in the back, simply because the SQ back there can be less since again, it is primarily filling empty space. If you are open to ideas, look into maybe trading those 6x9s for money to upgrade your fronts? Or if you already have really good fronts, trade the 6x9s to upgrade to a better amp for them. Just my $.02