Help: What causes GN bumper fillers to fade?

2badgn

My Gn has 48,000 miles and it has always been garaged yet the front and rear fillers are fading. I have seen this same problem on very low mileage GNs and GNXs. What causes this? My paint is original.

Does it have anything to do with the lacquer single stage paint?

If I buy OEM GM fillers for the front, will they also evetnually fade?

Thanks
Frank

It all has to do with the type of paint that was used. In the 80's they didn't use paints that had UV protection. Even limited exposure to sunlight (UV rays) will cause them to fade...and then eventually crack. Most of the good quality paints available now have the UV protectant in them. Also if you buy new GM ones and have them painted...be sure to have them mix the flex additive into the paint or it will crack and flake off!:eek: HTH ---Keith

It all has to do with the type of paint that was used. In the 80's they didn't use paints that had UV protection. Even limited exposure to sunlight (UV rays) will cause them to fade...and then eventually crack. Most of the good quality paints available now have the UV protectant in them. Also if you buy new GM ones and have them painted...be sure to have them mix the flex additive into the paint or it will crack and flake off!:eek: HTH ---Keith

Is it possible to repaint the original ones?

When painting fillers, should they be clear coated if the rest of the car is Single stage?

I don't think its UV's as much as oxidation and breakdown of the plastic. Even on low mile, garage kept cars, the Fillers will turn to dust.

on my 24K mile GN, the fillers discolored and about 2 years later started falling apart... while it sat in a garage away from any sunlight.

If the fillers discolor, don't bother repainting them. This is the first step of them crumbling into dust.

Paint them with flex agent in the paint or they will crack.

kirban 2 cents worth

I agree with most of the above...its a fact of life that fades fillers on these cars when they sit even in a heated enviroment.....we have a 700 mile GN they get cloudy after a few days....kinda like pollen attacks cars when they sit outside. My guess is some sort of reaction with the air.

Don't matter if they are original GM, or ABS or fiberglass from what I have seen.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I know mine had that whiteish hue to them, yet they still felt resilient when I pushed on them. However, when the body shop tried to remove them for paint, POOF! they disintegrated. I went with the glass ones Full Throttle sells and was very happy with them.

My fillers are doing the same thing, getting hazy, now they are developing some cracks, time for new ones!

I'm also having the same problem with 42k miles on my car. It started happening a few years ago at first in a small area. A little wax would always take care of it for a couple of weeks. But now, its the entire area on all four pieces and even if I buff it out the haze re-appears almost the next day.

Looks like I will be contacting GBodyParts again soon. Always something to fix and replace on these cars. After just ordering a new headliner and belt tensioner assembly its becoming a lot more difficult to save for the fun stuff like a new dual ball bearing GT6262 turbo and upgraded intercooler!