HELP! Dead GN!

ChrisF

Was driving the car the other night and it was running just fine, for a mile or two and just cut out as if someone turned the key off. Will not restart. Cranks, sounds funny - almost as if it's trying to light the cans in the wrong order. Backfired once.

Checked the cam sensor - it appears visually fine, is tight and hasn't moved. During cranking, it turns as excpected - so I don't think it moved. I started here as I was thinking I lost the timing chain.

Coils are good and the module is maybe 3 seasons old. Crank sensor appears okay but its quite dirty with oil, etc...

I'm leaning here - any input would be great.

I am going to replace the crank sensor based on how it looks, any tips on installing and properly adjusting it?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I do believe there is spark of some sort based on the backfire. Fuel pressure is there, I wil check it again tomorrow during cranking. Thanks!

I am going to replace the crank sensor based on how it looks, any tips on installing and properly adjusting it?

You didn't mention if you had any codes. i would check the chip, is it seated properly, do you have a spare emissions chip, or any chip for that matter, swap them out see what happens. I had a very similar issue and my chip went bad for what ever reason I have yet to find out.

cam sensor failure = limp home, will not restart ces light

Crank sensor failure = dead in the water, ces light

Just make sure there is equal clearance between the ring and valley in the sensor.

Still busticated.....

:mad:

Cam sensor appears fine. New Crank sensor installed. Fuel pressure has been verified. A valve cover has been pulled and all 6 rockers are moving. Car will crank but not start.

Interestingly enough, it will crank but "sounds" odd, as if things are occurring at the wrong time. Additionally, during cranking WITH the ECM plugged in, the vac/boost gauge spikes to 5 or 10 psi at a regular interval, as if a cylinder is firing with the intake valve open. With the ECM unplugged, this doesn't happen. I am thinking a timing chain slipped a few teeth....

Any opinions?

Check the bolt in the end of your crank. Sounds like it has worked loose and is letting your harmonic balancer move in and out. Same thing happened to me, same symptoms.

Might be a dumb question, but have you checked for a blown fuse? Reason I ask is that I was driving at highway speed recently & the GN suddenly just shut off & I rolled silently to the side of the road......It would crank, but sure wouldn't start...It turned out to be a blown Fuel Inj. 15amp fuse... The problem was the bare end of my disconnected oil temp wire was grounding out on the block....

The Darkside

Not dumb at all and thanks for the input. Things sound "out of time" ....see my earlier remark about the vac/boost gauge too...

Of course then there was thie time when I learned just how inaccurate the digital fuel gauge is on a Turbo Buick...... I just thought I had 4 gallons of gas in the tank....:mad:

Here's another thought....I know you said the ign. module is only 3 seasons old, but it Might be worth seperating it from the coil pack & making sure it hasn't turned to goo inside. I've had that happen too....lol... one of the metal tabs had sunk into the goo & was grounding out on the metal plate under the goo...

I need to borrow a known good coil and module form a buddy - his car is apart right now anyways. Need to track him down...

Sounds like a cam timing problem. Still on the stock chain/cam gear? Do a compression test.

cam sensor failure = limp home, will not restart ces light

Crank sensor failure = dead in the water, ces light

Just make sure there is equal clearance between the ring and valley in the sensor.

Close but if you sling the magnet off of the crank sensor (say from contact with the interrupter ring) you will come to a screeching and instant halt with no CES light.

Ask me how I know this.