Headgaskets.....a different question though

blklt1z28

So I popped one this past track visit. The car is a stock long block with low mileage and is still in good shape. I have no problem turning the wick back up on it and running it hard. However, having said that, I like the idea of a stock style gasket that acts as a fuse when something bad happens. I'd much rather do head gaskets than a motor...at least for now.

I read a lot about the Fel-Pro's and the Victor Reiz being good stock replacements, but I've also heard that recent fel-pro's are not as good as they once were. Are there some GM ones left out there? I have some new ARP bolts that are going in as well in case anyone is wondering.

So the question is, if you were to pick a head gasket OTHER than the RJC kit, Cometic, or any other steel shim style gasket that has to put up with abuse, but still give in and fail when things get a little hairy.....what would you choose?

Mind you, I was running 30~31 psi with my 6262 when it went, and it only went bc I turned up the timing and had a brain fart because I forgot to watch the KR as it soared to 14*. By the time I let out, it was way to late.

So I popped one this past track visit. The car is a stock long block with low mileage and is still in good shape. I have no problem turning the wick back up on it and running it hard. However, having said that, I like the idea of a stock style gasket that acts as a fuse when something bad happens. I'd much rather do head gaskets than a motor...at least for now.

I read a lot about the Fel-Pro's and the Victor Reiz being good stock replacements, but I've also heard that recent fel-pro's are not as good as they once were. Are there some GM ones left out there? I have some new ARP bolts that are going in as well in case anyone is wondering.

So the question is, if you were to pick a head gasket OTHER than the RJC kit, Cometic, or any other steel shim style gasket that has to put up with abuse, but still give in and fail when things get a little hairy.....what would you choose?

Mind you, I was running 30~31 psi with my 6262 when it went, and it only went bc I turned up the timing and had a brain fart because I forgot to watch the KR as it soared to 14*. By the time I let out, it was way to late.
I use head studs with Victor reinz and run similar boost without issues. KR will hurt any gasket or engine. The Victors are fine if you don't detonate

A composite gasket with 8 bolts IMO wont hold up when the head lifts under high hp applications. The fuse theory is irrelevant under those conditions.

Last edited:
james is correct.this is where you have to make a choice,once you install the steel gaskets you are moving the damage down into the cylinder/piston area.the comp gaskets will give way before this happens.make sure the heads are milled before you put them back on.

That "fuse" thing bugs the crap out of me. head gaskets aren't a fuse, they are a necessary evil.

If one needs a "fuse" in the form of a weak link, then a stock wastegate actuator set at 12PSI is just the ticket.

You can O-Ring the head, I used to run this for years without issue. But like mentioned above, everything needs to be ZERO knock and it really depends on the owner and his goals/tuning abilities.

A composite gasket with 8 bolts IMO wont hold up when the head lifts under high hp applications. The fuse theory is irrelevant under those conditions.
I ran 30+lbs for years on an un-opened engine with factory gaskets without issue. I have a 252" 9.5-1 engine now with over 20k hard street miles tuned at 28psi with the stock eight bolt heads. Zero issues with the Autozone bought Victor Reinz gaskets. When running these boost pressures, I ALWAYS monitor my fuel and alky pressures to help avoid knock. Maybe I just have good luck.

I ran 30+lbs for years on an un-opened engine with factory gaskets without issue. I have a 252" 9.5-1 engine now with over 20k hard street miles tuned at 28psi with the stock eight bolt heads. Zero issues with the Autozone bought Victor Reinz gaskets. When running these boost pressures, I ALWAYS monitor my fuel and alky pressures to help avoid knock. Maybe I just have good luck.

How much hp u making?

That "fuse" thing bugs the crap out of me. head gaskets aren't a fuse, they are a necessary evil.

If one needs a "fuse" in the form of a weak link, then a stock wastegate actuator set at 12PSI is just the ticket.

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time I KIND OF disagree with it. On one hand, a good set of gaskets with studs would all but eliminate any future HG problems with my current combo. Only issue is the pistons and bottom end now take the beating and break. I'm not ok with that, I like the idea of something failing before hard parts inside the motor get damaged. Just in case something goes wrong or in my particular case, you forget to watch your gauge while making a pass. I know you already know this, I'm just stating my case is all.

I plan on running my stock motor to its limit, so I prefer to have something like a head gasket let loose before something more serious does. If this was a built bottom end there would be no question, studs and cometics/RJC kit, but I am not there....... yet.

The car was running fine at 30lbs of boost with 28/26 timing, only when I went up to 31lbs and 30/28 while forgetting to watch my gauge did all of this happen. If I had paid more attention this thread wouldnt be here. Not sure how much power it was making, but it was enough to go 11.1 @ 121. Im sorry but I dont think Im at the limit of good bolts and stock style gaskets, time will tell.

If your not ready to have the damage move down into the piston area,put the graphite gaskets on.sometimes it's not just the tune but,fatigue,wiring,or just a weak pump that causes a lean out.when you get the motor sealed tight with studs and steel gaskets,cylinder pressure will eventually crack the piston.

Not exactly sure what hp I'm making. The hp numbers don't mean too much to me anyway. Strictly a street car and all I know it runs extremely well and is very reliable. I would say its a mild combo. 252", champion irons, 210/215, 6266, and run speed density. I do not baby this car. I have many, many 28psi blasts with this engine and the victors are holding up. And believe it or not, I never retorqued the heads after a heat cycle. I constantly monitor my engine, especially fuel pressure to help avoid detonation. And I run fairly low timing in 3rd gear to keep kr away[/quote]