Header Panel crack repair

WildGS

I can't find any solid advice. Have a crack to repair...what would be best route to go here? It's right above the drivers side headlight.

crack.jpg

Thinking about notching the crack and feathering it out and then using 3M EZ Sand Rigid Parts Repair 05885. Any thoughts at all?

Sounds reasonable. Consider also drilling a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from propagating.

The 3m repair adhesive will come off. The only way is to is grind a "v" out about an inch per side and yes drill a hole at the end of the crack and fiberglass. You have to do the back side also. It has to have a good amount of time exposed to the air before you can use any filler for pinholes ect. That's where many go wrong and it will shrink . I useual lay let stand a week or so after I form close to final fit.

Guess I'll get to work and see what happens, LOL. As you can see I don't have much to lose, the car is pretty ugly at the moment.

The process wasnt too bad but you do have to do it in small doses. It seemed like every time it dried , there was a void ,sort of like an air pocket was there. Then I learned to put less on each time and build it up. I practiced filling in the ornament and repairing the cracks on one that came from pull a part before I tried my actual GN one. The repair was flawless. I have had that part on a storage rack exposed to the weather for years, so far no ill effects. It will get the vibration tests once it's installed on the car.

Picked up vetted adhesive and some fiberglass mat. Worst that can happen is it's still broken when I am done.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thinking about using some for the back side of the header to add some strength.

Can this be fixed with JB weld? It's a two part epoxy. My one stud broke off so I'm using JB weld to fix that but there is a crack as well that needs to be fixed, I guess I'll see how it works.

The Vette Panel adhesive has worked great so far, not sure I would trust JB weld for something like this.

I'd grind it out drill the end and fill it with West Epoxy with colloidal silica mixed in.