HD lower control arms from scratch

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
I've gathered the components to fabricate my own lower control arms. More coming soon.

Before I post any pics, let me explain the research I went through which led me to choose the components I did.

I visited some racing chassis sites that listed 4 link kits. The minimum OD for tubing I found to be 1 1/4".
Using chromoly 1 1/4" OD with a .120" wall thickness as my spec for tubing, I picked out high tension rod ends that fit the tubing. The rod ends I ended up with are QA1 Endura high tension alloy steel.
The thread size is 7/8" and the hole through the rod end is also 7/8". I had an option of going with a hole that matched the new planned bolt size, but I decided to make the locator bushings stepped to fit into each side of the rod end ball. Not just but up to the rod end ball.
I found that the bolt size should be a minimum of 1/2". I decided to go with a 7/16" bolt size. Building in extra capacity is never a foolish thing.

Before I post any pics, let me explain the research I went through which led me to choose the components I did.

I visited some racing chassis sites that listed 4 link kits. The minimum OD for tubing I found to be 1 1/4".
Using chromoly 1 1/4" OD with a .120" wall thickness as my spec for tubing, I picked out high tension rod ends that fit the tubing. The rod ends I ended up with are QA1 Endura high tension alloy steel.
The thread size is 7/8" and the hole through the rod end is also 7/8". I had an option of going with a hole that matched the new planned bolt size, but I decided to make the locator bushings stepped to fit into each side of the rod end ball. Not just but up to the rod end ball.
I found that the bolt size should be a minimum of 1/2". I decided to go with a 7/16" bolt size. Building in extra capacity is never a foolish thing.

ready and waiting sir yes sir! Can't wait Don, thanks for contributing so much.

Correction! The bolt size I went with is 9/16". Not 7/16".

Each control arm has a right hand and left hand threaded rod end.

Attachments

• IMGP1580rs.jpg
    IMGP1580rs.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 869
Here's my hand for size comparison.

Attachments

• IMGP1581rs.jpg
    IMGP1581rs.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 848
Supposedly the Enduras don't require lubing.

I've already chamfered the ends of the tubes for welding penetration. A couple of rose bud welds per end will be done also.

Are they rebuildable like the rose joints Don?
I don't believe so. They can be ordered with grease fittings. I chose not to because of the change in load rating with a grease fitting. It's like U-joints. You start drilling holes through components and the holes weaken the component. If you're looking for the best strength for the size, you don't want grease fittings.

I'm going to have to find out more about the lube requirements of this model joint. If they're self lubing, then why is a grease fitting option offered? Maybe the grease fitting option is just a general offering covering all the models of joints.

Can we get another pic with something we know the size of.......like a beer can? You may have REALLY big hands or something. :)

BTW, they look great !!!

Can we get another pic with something we know the size of.......like a beer can? You may have REALLY big hands or something. :)
I think my hands are pretty average. I'll get a pic of them next to the stock control arm when I get it removed from the car.

Just messin' with ya Donnie. They look great, hopefully they will get your 60' down a little more.

I'm gonna bet it has some sort of nylon/teflon insert in them. If that's the case the zerks would be a good idea. I've seen some of those bushings wear out quickly depending on use.

I'm gonna bet it has some sort of nylon/teflon insert in them. If that's the case the zerks would be a good idea. I've seen some of those bushings wear out quickly depending on use.

I will keep an eye out.

Yes the heims do wear pretty regularly. But zerk equipped heims are not all normally used in drag race applications.