Guidance requested on soft shift/slippage

kgouldsk

Kevin GNCrazy
My '87 transmission is, as far as I know, stock and never rebuilt. It's got almost 100k miles on it, but babied up until I bought it at 90ish. It's always shifted really nice and crisp.

I changed to a 3000 stall converter and didn't do any hard driving for quite a long time, but when I have recently been trying to tune the new combo, I found that the shifts seemed soft, and may have been encountering some slippage. I discovered that if I slip the detent cable a couple notches, the shifts are nice and solid again, ie when shifting at higher rpms. But to get full throttle deflection, that's not right - so I moved it back to where the throttle play would fully extend, and it's mushy again.

Can anyone suggest what may be the issue here? If the pump was getting weak, could it need higher rpms to get the pressure up where it needs to be? Is this because of the torque converter, could it be too loose?

3000 stall smaller than stock one ?sounds like you need a shift kit and a better servo !the orig. art carr or pts makes a nice one too. ;)

if the transmission is internally sound install our valve body kit and servo and restore real performance to the unit.we take over where the factory left off.read customer feed back on my site it is a testimony to the credentials of the kit :D