Guess my time

many have stated that the stock exhaust is the biggest restriction. One look at the stock exhaust will make it obvious. I would take the elbow off and port it and put on a manual boost controller. At least at the manual boost controller. Get a test pipe or gut your stock converter if possible. Stock test pipes can be had cheap. I bought my stock test pipe, ported elbow, and an adjust able actuator for 60 shipped.

12.99 @112mph 1.69 60 ft. Do I win your nice car if I get it all exact?:D

Bruce '87 Grand National

13.7@96 2.2 60'

That et would upset me..

many have stated that the stock exhaust is the biggest restriction. One look at the stock exhaust will make it obvious. I would take the elbow off and port it and put on a manual boost controller. At least at the manual boost controller. Get a test pipe or gut your stock converter if possible. Stock test pipes can be had cheap. I bought my stock test pipe, ported elbow, and an adjust able actuator for 60 shipped.

I have a test pipe already installed... I will look into porting the elbow...

12.99 @112mph 1.69 60 ft. Do I win your nice car if I get it all exact?:D

Bruce '87 Grand National

I sure hope your right but I couldnt even 1.69 60ft in my Typhoon:eek:

Hmmmmm.

Let's see.
I'm going to say that your mechanic who put your boost at a conservative 19 lbs, also but your air fuel on the conservitive, rich side. This is a smart move for a person who isn't sure how far one can push the tune on one of these cars. If your not a person who plans on tuning their own car, you should keep this mechanic and your car will live a long and happy life.:)

Side note: Unfortunately, you'll get your @$$ handed to you by most slightly modded 5.0 mustang, with a carbon fiber hood and wing.:eek:

This tune should net you around 103ish mph in the quarter mile. This number will depend on how rich or lean he tuned your car, and what the density altitude is while your running. The cooler the air, the faster it will go. The quarter mile mph is a good indication of how much HP the engine is making.

At this point, what you want to focus on is the ET. This will mostly be a factor of how quick you can get your car to leave the line. The good news is that you've got great tires. Practice on the street. See how much boost you can hold before the car starts to move. You'll do better if you pump the brakes a couple of times quickly before you build boost. What ever the number is that you can hold, add about three lbs to it while at the track, as it will be much stickier. While at the track, don't worry too much about cutting a good light. Worry about leaving at (and remembering) the right boost. Ummmm... You do have a "good" boost guage, don't you?

Above all, have fun and be safe. Your not going to set the world on fire the first time out with this thing. You should be running in the thirteens with this tune. How deep you run in the thirteens will be dependent on how well you can adjust to what your car likes, to leave the line as quickly as possible. Watch your 60 ft. time to see what's working. It would be nice to get your car to at least a 1.8x sixty foot time.

Don't be disapionted if your car doesn't go twelves, this time. This is just a first time, base line run, to see what the thing wants. You'll be going elevens before you know it.;)

Oh yea, Put the MT DRs at 20 psi, and throw everything at em, but the kitchen sink.:D Let us know how you do.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

And, I'll guess 13.3X @ 103 mph.

Mike Barnard

Let's see.
I'm going to say that your mechanic who put your boost at a conservative 19 lbs, also but your air fuel on the conservitive, rich side. This is a smart move for a person who isn't sure how far one can push the tune on one of these cars. If your not a person who plans on tuning their own car, you should keep this mechanic and your car will live a long and happy life.:)

Side note: Unfortunately, you'll get your @$$ handed to you by most slightly modded 5.0 mustang, with a carbon fiber hood and wing.:eek:

This tune should net you around 103ish mph in the quarter mile. This number will depend on how rich or lean he tuned your car, and what the density altitude is while your running. The cooler the air, the faster it will go. The quarter mile mph is a good indication of how much HP the engine is making.

At this point, what you want to focus on is the ET. This will mostly be a factor of how quick you can get your car to leave the line. The good news is that you've got great tires. Practice on the street. See how much boost you can hold before the car starts to move. You'll do better if you pump the brakes a couple of times quickly before you build boost. What ever the number is that you can hold, add about three lbs to it while at the track, as it will be much stickier. While at the track, don't worry too much about cutting a good light. Worry about leaving at (and remembering) the right boost. Ummmm... You do have a "good" boost guage, don't you?

Above all, have fun and be safe. Your not going to set the world on fire the first time out with this thing. You should be running in the thirteens with this tune. How deep you run in the thirteens will be dependent on how well you can adjust to what your car likes, to leave the line as quickly as possible. Watch your 60 ft. time to see what's working. It would be nice to get your car to at least a 1.8x sixty foot time.

Don't be disapionted if your car doesn't go twelves, this time. This is just a first time, base line run, to see what the thing wants. You'll be going elevens before you know it.;)

Oh yea, Put the MT DRs at 20 psi, and throw everything at em, but the kitchen sink.:D Let us know how you do.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Well said.... Will do. Also yes I have all autometer phantom gauges... hopefully I can hold 5psi without rolling through the beams

100_0337.jpg

I went low 12's with the stock downpipe, so I'm going to have to disagree.:smile:

people don't want to believe that :p we went 11.20s with the crappy elbow way back in the early 90s :cool: So when ya goin to the track ??

Based strictly on the info provided in the OP, you'll likely be in the mid/low 13's at best. 19# of boost aint going to get 12's done with your setup.

But it's impossible to guess, because we don't know how good you are on the drag strip. Your experience level, etc.

... As many have stated I too expect a 13 sec pass due to exhaust/downpipe limitations...

I do not believe this will be your limitation. Your driving and the tune will be the only limitations. As many have stated they have gone even faster with stock parts. Besides, you have an exhaust dump so your exhaust system should not be a factor.

Listen to Spoolfool2 and you will do just fine. :cool:

My GN runs 13.0-13.3 with a similar setup, pump gas, slicks, injectors, chip, hot wire fuel pump, adj fp reg, kirban stock style 3" downpipe, test pipe, dual 2.25 exhaust. I only run 17-18 psi boost and trap 101-102. I even use the stock airbox.

I do not believe this will be your limitation. Your driving and the tune will be the only limitations. As many have stated they have gone even faster with stock parts. Besides, you have an exhaust dump so your exhaust system should not be a factor.

Listen to Spoolfool2 and you will do just fine. :cool:

My testpipe doesnt have a dump.. Its just a straight pipe...

Its hard to guess since we really don't know the over all condition on your car. Based on the the mods you have and assuming everything works as it should(valvesprings etc.) you should be able get mid 12's if you do your job as a driver. A stock turbo and downpipe will take you to very low 12's and possbily high 11's with a good 60'. I do wonder what type of exhaust your car really has though because unless its a really low mileage car the stock exhaust would likley not last this long or at least would be in very bad condition. It was very common back in the day for cars modded like yours to run low 12's at 20psi of boost only we used race gas back then because that was pre alky injection.

I do agree with some of the others about the downpipe. Do not waste your money until the car runs at least low 12's or high 11's. Years ago a guy here on the board tested his high 11 second car back to back with the stock downpipe vs. a THDP and the car picked up no ET gain and about .5 mph. Lots of people throw parts at thier cars and expect them to run right but I would take my time and get your car running right before you start with a laundry list of mods. Upgrading the exhaust would be a good idea and with that and the mods you already have I would not upgrade until you got the car running at least 12.40's on the stock stuff or else you will be spending money that you don't have too. I am always shocked when I see the list of mods in some people's signatures and see times in the 13's. My first GN ran 13.29 with nothing but a K&N, old school hypertech chip, and a dump pipe on regular 235/60 off brand tires.

I think you'll do better than mid 13's.

I ran 13.32 with a TT 93 street chip, 17 PSI, & M/T ET Streets.

With the more agressive timing & a couple more lbs of boost, my guess is 12.90-13.0

It's all in the launch my friend. Brake boost as much as the brakes will hold. If they hold, 6 PSI is a good start, 10 PSI is better, & anything over 10 PSI without a 'brake is golden:biggrin: Don't pay any attention to the tree or the guy in the next lane. It's all about learning how to launch hard without tire spin.

Ok guys so I got off work at around 1pm and decided to make my way down the the track this evening.... Drumroll please
I'll lead witha pic of the car at the track today
100_0349.jpg

I made three passes allowing the car to cool in between passes

First pass
60' 1.82:biggrin:
330 5.33
1/8 8.35 @81.35
1000 10.97
1/4 13.20 @100 mph

Second pass
I turned the boost up to sbout 20psi a little wheelspin out of the hole
60' 1.84
330 5.33
1/8 8.29 @82.84
1000 10.87
1/4 13.09 @101mph:)

Third pass
Same boost a little more wheelspin
60' 1.90
330 5.39
1/8 8.37 @82.56
1000 10.96
1/4 13.17 @102mph

Thanks for all the replies.. Its great to see how we all take time to support each other here on the forums.. Alot of you guys were dead on with your guesses.... 3 inch catback on the to do list...