Exhaust help (Exhaust gurus chime in).....

Well

Skinny looked funny .. The race pros i have look like flowmasters and are just as wide ..

You have to come to a common ground between noise levels and performance gains. Bottom line on these cars is backpressure=performance lost. The best performance exhaust would theoretically to cut your DP off right after the turbo. You want the best free flowing system you can stand to listen to.

10.12 @136 on a three muffler system that you can't hear drive up a drive way. Sertiously. It is the cross flow muffler with the two pipes running opposite direction through the muffler that cancels out all the drone. THis same system built in 3" went 9.16@149. The fuel pump (Weldon) was louder than the running engine.:D It's all about sound waves bouncing in a direction to cancel each other out. The design of the muffler doesn't restrict flow, just sound waves. The 2.5" three muffler system will SOON be running 9's. Those that think they don't have drone, build a three muffler system and see just how much drone you did have. I've been doing this a long time and have tried most of the systems out there or have built simular set-ups. I'm telling you, the ONLY way to eliminate drone is with the cross flow muffler (and two ultra-flows under the rear seat) behind the rear axle. Or........ you can run the factory cat converter.;)

unless i'm missing something, you already have all the parts to easily go 12's. your street tire 60' is decent, but slicks would net you another .4-.5 off your et. if it were me, i'd just up my boost to 22ish, add timing til she knocks, then back off a bit, and you'll be runnin mid-hi 12's all day long.

unless i'm missing something, you already have all the parts to easily go 12's. your street tire 60' is decent, but slicks would net you another .4-.5 off your et. if it were me, i'd just up my boost to 22ish, add timing til she knocks, then back off a bit, and you'll be runnin mid-hi 12's all day long.

Times given were done on M/T drag radials..

Sounds like alot of you guys are saying I should just get the car dyno tuned...

What kind of power gains have you guys seen from a decent dyno tune on a stockish:cool: vehicle?

If your all about performance gains I doubt the butt dyno is going to show much with exhaust.:biggrin: If your exhaust is in good shape I would look elsewhere. I noticed way less back pressure with the single exhaust. My boost numbers went up with only an exhaust change.

need to work on your launch! i've gotten a 1.86 60' on firestone indy 500's lol. with M/T's, even on a stock suspension you should be pulling 1.6x's. remember a tenth off your 60' is worth (roughly) 2 tenths off your et...

i didn't mean dyno tune, but you always can.. i meant at the track, by yourself. tune for highest mph. what boost/timing did you run on your highest mph pass? what, if any, scantools do you have installed?

again, if it were me... i'd ditch the cat and bolt on a test/dump pipe, whichever you want. then tune, tune, tune. 3 reasons: 1. its cheap! (and im a tightwad :) ) 2. your goals are easily attainable with your current setup. 3. you'll glean invaluable knowledge that you'll need for as long as you own this car (really any performance car for that matter)

if you want the exhaust for the sound, then go for it! but you certainly shouldn't need one to reach your performance goals.

If your all about performance gains I doubt the butt dyno is going to show much with exhaust.:biggrin: If your exhaust is in good shape I would look elsewhere. I noticed way less back pressure with the single exhaust. My boost numbers went up with only an exhaust change.

How much more boost did your exhaust give you?

Hooker cat-back (or similar) system with a straight-through type muffler (MaxFlow, UltraFlow or similar) will have much less drone than any chambered or baffled-type muffler in these systems.

Ok guys thanks for the replies...

As of right now due to budgeting reasons Im looking to either do a 3" single shot or a dump with w/ electric cutout..

Opinions Please...

Hooker cat-back (or similar) system with a straight-through type muffler (MaxFlow, UltraFlow or similar) will have much less drone than any chambered or baffled-type muffler in these systems.
had super comp turbo's and i switched them out for max flows. both systems are quiet, no complaints when cruising either.

maybe I'm an extremist, but I don't think the 3" single shot is really that loud, nor is there too much drone with it. My LS1 with headers and the Corsa catback even with extra Dynomax bullet mufflers in place of the cats is louder than my Buick.

Plus, its always nice to bounce that noise off of curbs, under passes, retaining walls, slower traffic, etc....especially when it all comes out one side!

maybe I'm an extremist, but I don't think the 3" single shot is really that loud, nor is there too much drone with it. My LS1 with headers and the Corsa catback even with extra Dynomax bullet mufflers in place of the cats is louder than my Buick.

Plus, its always nice to bounce that noise off of curbs, under passes, retaining walls, slower traffic, etc....especially when it all comes out one side!

Well said:cool: