GTR getting paid killing domestics at the track

2 years ago I was lined up with a brand new GTR at the track. It still had temp plates on. He had run a few low 12/high 11s. He got me off the line and beat me by a hair. We ran within a few tenths of each other. So with some seat time and a few minor mods I'm sure that GTR could be running low 11s easy. Now, 2 years later and the mods coming out for them, they will be 10s or better all day long. That engine is a very well designed starting point for a high hp built.

I'm not too impressed with the GTR engine, at all. If Chevy ever gets off its' ass and builds a turbo LFX V6 engine from the factory, then stuffs it into a more compact design w/RWD, I think it would blow the doors off of the GTR. They won't of course, because of their beloved Corvette...

You guys better go looking for some horsepower before you get next to that thing again.

This is how it should have went for the Turbo Buick... :cool:

Holy Crap!
That's my old car RU! :D
That was Avon in late 2005. A few months after he bought the car from me and got the bugs worked out. Thanks for posting that video, I've never seen it before.

RU's in good hands now.
The car now runs consistent very low 8's and should be in the 7's later this year.
Good luck Avon!

Thanks again Street Lethal.

Patrick

Funny how they think its 17 PSI, pump gas, runs low-mid 9's for a small motor. :rolleyes:

A few weeks ago I pulled on him.. hey its a fast car.. but a better racer as he's getting a handicap. You dont give a mid-high 9 sec AWD drive the hit unless you have a high 8 sec car.

Too bad I missed the event when I threw my back out.. I would have run him..

hey its a fast car.. but a better racer as he's getting a handicap. You dont give a mid-high 9 sec AWD drive the hit unless you have a high 8 sec car.

That is what I am saying! Who gives fast AWD car the hit?!?!? He would have been giving me the hit!

Many many moons ago when I street raced in Miami.. I remember lining up to a Syclone on 58th street in Miami with my GN. I had race gas in it.. Mcreary tires(remember those) open dump.. car was set to kill.. there was this black Syclone guy named Gabby had(dont know if its the same Gabby that now has the Buick down there).. as soon as the arms dropped the Syclone pulled a bus on me and no way to catch it. Ever since then.. I have a huge respect for AWD especially on the hit.

Many many moons ago when I street raced in Miami.. I remember lining up to a Syclone on 58th street in Miami with my GN. I had race gas in it.. Mcreary tires(remember those) open dump.. car was set to kill.. there was this black Syclone guy named Gabby had(dont know if its the same Gabby that now has the Buick down there).. as soon as the arms dropped the Syclone pulled a bus on me and no way to catch it. Ever since then.. I have a huge respect for AWD especially on the hit.

Tremendous difference between AWD w/an automatic, and an AWD w/manual setup...

Ya..back in 06-07, there was a EVO that was racing 8 and 9 second muscle cars and winning with some regularity. Turned out the evo was a high 8 second ride. AWD on the street is like getting the hit, even if it is a heads up race. Giving a AWD the hit at the track is basically forfieting the race unless you have atleast an equally quick car or faster, with more mph on the big end.

I call it fishing.. cause you know its going to pull way out there and you better have a big enough reel to pull it in. Buicks are typically 60 foot cars.. so when buick gets pulled on.. its really tough to reel it in. Unlike a Porsche, Supra, blown Vette, etc.. Even a Mustang with an 88 mm :eek:

I think some of my GN brothers are in denial...the GTR is the whip. No denying technology and AWD.

i'd like to have 2 races with him..the first one straight up..hopefully beat him by a fender..the next i give him the hit..get in front and pat the gas a couple of times:) just to let him know he ain't the only one that can be sneaky and do some sand bagging..he took advantage of all those cars and trucks he raced..he will roll up on the wrong one 1 day and the table will be turned........Bob

the GTR is the whip. No denying technology and AWD.

Ha Ha... Krom laughs at your technology and AWD. ;)

There's an old school 1988 L98 Callaway on the internet tearing it up against a lot of the new high tech cars out there. Says he's got some against the GTR that he didn't upload yet, but with the same results...

There's an old school 1988 L98 Callaway on the internet tearing it up against a lot of the new high tech cars out there. Says he's got some against the GTR that he didn't upload yet, but with the same results...

Ome who finds themself laughing at technology and AWD often finds themself asking, WTF just happened. Lol
Technology is your friend no matter how you look at it. Commordore 64 was cool when it came out. Lol

Ome who finds themself laughing at technology and AWD often finds themself asking, WTF just happened. Lol Technology is your friend no matter how you look at it. Commordore 64 was cool when it came out. Lol

Technology enhances the driving experience, and 32-bit computers process the information faster, but it does not make the vehicle faster, just more efficient. Give me a $10,000 budget and access to ten different junkyards and I will build a car that will annihilate the GTR above using an old fashioned carburetor and homemade turbo setup...

Technology enhances the driving experience, and 32-bit computers process the information faster, but it does not make the vehicle faster, just more efficient. Give me a $10,000 budget and access to ten different junkyards and I will build a car that will annihilate the GTR above using an old fashioned carburetor and homemade turbo setup...

If you dont think technology will make you faster and more efficient you are sadly mistaken... Computers get faster my friend thus more effocient. To each his own tho my man. I'll take the GTR over a 10k junkyard dog...even if it did beat me in the 1/4...thats just me tho.

Nice and quick for sure. But you dont see alot of these running 9's, let alone 8's. Sure there are some GTR's built for this purpose alone, but most are strip driven and will never see 9's. You can take these at the track any day, any week, so long as you know how to drive and have car set up to hook and that it runs the same number as the GTR. He was sleeping at the tree on most races, out here in San An TX, he would have been put on the trailer early pulling those lights.

Alot of people laugh at technology. I remember bringing my limited to the grove in 92. They paired me up with a dual quad 440 1968 charger. The guy looked at my car and laughed.You know the grandpa car thing:rolleyes: I had a hooker down pipe with a delta gate and some other bolt ons. I had hoosier sand boss tires and he had mt's. I 60'd a 2.1 and he knew what he was doing because he 60'd 1.5. He went 12.90 and I went 12.70. when he came back to the pits I had the hood open I thought he was going to cry. That new GTR is a bad machine bolt ons and they go 9's touch the engine and you go 8;s
Dont forget the price on that car is almost 100k after bolt ons and labor another 50k and when the transfer case/trans breaks to the tune of 20k you would rather be Lonnies getting a trans for 3k for you gn while this guy takes out a second mortgage to get his fixed. Let alone find someone to put a cage in it. Thats probably another 15k+. Technology costs money just like speed costs money. If a gtr beats you by 2 cars you won in my eyes