GTA Wheels and Spacers

bigz

I've searched the archives on the board and am still confused on the use of spacers with the GTA Wheels. I've been looking for a set for several months and haven't been able to find a used set of four fronts in good condition. I've got the chance to pick up a set of 2 fronts and 2 rears for a good price. What type of spacer will be required to put the rears on front? It also seems that some people are running spacers with the fronts when they put them on the rear. I would like to run 245 50 16 tires all the way around. If I go with longer studs what size spacer will be necessary to use the wheels with no rubbing. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mike

bigz...

there is no such thing as NO rubbing if you want to go w/ the front/rear combo...

I have (had) the same problem..couldn't get a good set of 4 fronts, so I also went with the front/rear combo.

The front rims on the rear work excellent...NO SPACERS!

I first put 1/4" spacers on the front (rear rims), and if I turned the wheels ALL THE WAY in either direction, you could hear the scraping or grinding sound of the inside of the rim scraping the strut, but if I hit a BIG bump, is was fine...

Then...I went ahead and did the longer wheel stud "thing", and put another 1/4" spacer on (a total of 1/2"). Now, there is NO scraping or grinding when I fully turn the wheels, but they scrape the inner fender well if I hit a big bump. To me this is the better of the two, and this is the way my car is set up now. If it's just me in the car, there's no enough weight to scrape anyway, just when I have someone else with me. And also, if I'm in a parking lot, and hanging out, as I turn, I don't get embarassed by that scraping sound:eek: .

There is NO difference in the look being that the wheels have a 1/2" spacer behind them...just to let you know.

Anyway...that's just my experience.

John;)

I have front offset GTA rims on the back of my GN as does Keith Mease and they rub the frame rail/inner wheel well if you dont run spacers. The back spacing is approx 4 3/8" and is really too much for these cars.
IMHO opinion, 8" wide rims with 3.5" or 3.75" back spacing would be perfect.
On the front of my car I have rear offset GTA's, but I also have b body spindles which increase the track width. These do rub at full lock on the plastic inner fender and/or the sway bar.
I have the 1/8" thick steel spacers that GM used on the drum brake equipt IROC's on all 4 of my wheels and they still rub in the back.
Yes, you really would need 4 fronts if you want to use GTA rims, but make sure you get some thicker spacers than I am using since they will rub AND make it look like the rims sit too far into the wheel wells.

As Lee says, 275s will rub on the frame on the front gtas when used on the rear. 255s work fine. I have never personally felt that they sit too far in but others have made that comment. Using aluminium brake drums will move them out another 1/8" of an inch an improves the frame to tire clearance.

On my cars 4" bs seems to be the best on the rears. With a 275 tire there is plenty of clearance between the tire and frame but I am getting pretty close to the fender lip with the aluminium drums.

3.75" has often been proclaimed the ideal b.s. and it is pretty close but I think 4.0" is closer. It may well be dependent upon how the body sits on the frame in some cases.

It is a lot easier to handle a tire that is too close to the fender lip than one that is on a wheel that puts it too close to the frame. :)

I went ahead and bucked up for the four fronts from classic industries. I just didn't want to have to use spacers and rubbing is something I really want to avoid. I'm planning on going with 245 50 15's all the way around so hopefully that will work out ok. I have a set of Centerlines I can put on with drag radials for the few times a year I go to the track. Thanks for everybodies help.

Mike