GSP PIT Kills 2...thoughts?

:eek:
Not sure what to think about that.
They needed to be stopped, But that manuever, I dont think is right at those speeds. Spike strips would have, could have brought different results than spinning them out.

A tragedy. Killing two people far outweighs any danger the initial speeding presented, IMO.

If they were two fugitives, that would be one thing. Heck, they let OJ drive around forever, while being the main suspect in a double homicide! I guess the rules of engagement for this maneuver have to be reviewed. Sad.

Its hard to believe someone can't create a linear actuated height adjustable probe that could be used to stab the back of the deck lid at speed and hit the car w/ a voltage surge to cook the ignition and the car comes to a stop. They had those little RC type cars that could be launched and driven under the suspect car that did the same thing....why not? I guess the officer is put at more risk while trying for the quick stab manuver and might loose control if the suspect suddenly changed direction trying to lead the officer into a crash or something. They'd have to drive thru the other guys windshield for sure during that time but a quick ram is all it would take.

Just a thought...

"A tragedy. Killing two people far outweighs any danger the initial speeding presented, IMO.

If they were two fugitives, that would be one thing. Heck, they let OJ drive around forever, while being the main suspect in a double homicide! I guess the rules of engagement for this maneuver have to be reviewed. Sad."

Screw 'em. They are (were) a threat to society. Yes, in hindsite that should have been handled in a different way, but if they ran a minivan full of kids off the road because they didn't want to stop for whatever reason, there would be a lot of frowning happening because the cops didn't stop them earlier. Screw them. Don't stop for the cops, you deserve what you get.

I feel you are neglecting to consider the other people on the road endangered by the actions of the speeding vehicle.

How many people could have been injured or killed if the speeding car had hit them? How about a Mom with a mini-van full of kids? It happens.

The procedure for stopping the car demostrated in this video is now being taught accross the country. If you look closely, you will see the area around the vehicle has been cleared of traffic to prevent potential injury to non-related vehicles.

We ask law enforcement officers to make tough decisions every day. This is one of them. The officer driving the vehicle which makes the hit puts his own life at risk to do it. Done properly, this technique saves lives.

I'm for it and have several years as a speed enforcement instructor to back it up.

But on the other side, you will find some officers are not ready to do that manuver themselves.

They were running from the cops and deserved what they got.

Every metropolitan police department should have a helicopter at their disposal with an M60 doorgunner to quickly solve these problems when they occur.

Of course garbage pale groups like the ACLU would never allow this to happen.

OUTRAGEOUS!

She was being stopped for speeding! She didn't kill somone or try to run an officer off the road, she was freaking speeding!

From what I saw - she was not endangering innocent people enough to resort to performing a PIT at 100 mph. She was not passing traffic on the shoulder, she was not trying to ram the officers off the road, she was not in a crowded neighborhood.

She was driving a high roll risk vehicle, and obviously no other methods were used or considered like boxing her in or spike strips and forcing her to yield.

She was scared and ran. I am sure she thought when she crossed the state line, they would stop and when they didn't had no idea what to do.

There were more options and a better way to handle this, period.

The PIT is a reveered technique across the country - but from what I understand is that it is tought not to be performed at highspeeds as well as it is desired on a curve.

Think about every high speed chase you have ever watched - They do not PIT until it has slowed to a safe speed, regardless of the dangers presented to bystanders.

This officer made a mistake in judgement and it cost two people thier lives.:(

Vic

She ran from the cops, she deserved it. She was a risk to the other people on the road. As one person pointed out she was in a high roll risk vehicle. All it would take was one quick lane change that caused her to roll and in turn she could have killed several innocent people. If she had accidentally bumped another car just like the cop car bumped her, she could have sent an entire family into the trees.

You seem to forget that she could have avoided this whole situation by just pulling over at any time. That simple. She made the bad decision, not the police. Some times you have to do what you have to do.

And take into consideration the now dead passenger, if he/she would've been an infant or young person they wouldn't have done the PIT but resorted to some other way so now since you have 2 adults a PIT is worth the risk? Bad decision on the officers part at those speeds when there's a passenger no matter what the age. Driver could've been totally nutted up and passenger in fear of a crash if he/she tried to force her to stop once begging/pleading didn't work.....could've been any passenger like a babysitter with your kid.....changes the sitation just a bit don't ya think? But thats an "if" and we can do that all day. Bad judgment.

She was driving at speeds of 100+mph for 60 miles, 60miles!!!
She wasn't going to stop until something like this or worse stopped her.
Sure the cops could/should have slowed her down before attempting this move but ultimately it was her decision not to slow down or pull over which cost her and the passenger their lives:(
Maybe the next idiot that tries to run will see this and think twice before endangering other people's lives.

yeah they could have stopped, but don't you think the police put the public in danger when they pit a car at 100mph? cops have nothing but tunnel vision when they get into a chase all thats on their mind is this bitch ain't getting away from me!, they could have backed off, write down the tag number and pick ( him or her ) up later but to them it's the rush of the chase, a smart police officer would have backed off know that his persue was makeing them run faster, back off let the crooks think they got away then nab them at their homes or in a public place when their gaurd is down, i'm no police officer but i have arrested plenty of criminals when i was a bail bondsman which is a little bit harder because the crook knows if they get caught they are faceing an even longer sentence than what they got arrested for to begin with. to me that's the perfect example of what not to do in a chase, i would not be shocked if the family of the passeger files a wrongful death suit against the police dept. that passenger was in all purposes an unwilling suspect, which had no control over the actions the driver was doing.

but of course nothing is going yo happen to the police unless the family hires a lawyer, lawsuits are one of ways that police dept's look at their policy and sat " well i guess we won't be chaseing people at 100mph anymore" as much of a danger to the public those criminals were, by driving 2tons at such high speeds remember they werenot the only ones indangering the public

but whats done is done

They should invest if they dont have a police helicoptor or get the new people to follow the car. THey can back off, And wait fro the call telling them were they went, She is an asshole for driving like that,But i think there were many other ways to handle the situation than spin them out,
Just Think what if it was your daughter,sister friend, driving or in the passenger seat?? Would you say" Oh well she deserves it for driving that way" I doubt it. I believe she deserves puishment for driving like that, But i dont think the death penatly was in order.
And any car spun out at that speed would almost ensure death.
Way to many other ways to handle it, Here in CT an officer killed a lady and her daughter becasue he was chasing a speeder and crashed,
That situation could have ended up with a cop killing an innocent driver as much as she could have hit one.

Originally posted by no-nos
yeah they could have stopped, but don't you think the police put the public in danger when they pit a car at 100mph? cops have nothing but tunnel vision when they get into a chase all thats on their mind is this bitch ain't getting away from me!, they could have backed off, write down the tag number and pick ( him or her ) up later but to them it's the rush of the chase, a smart police officer would have backed off know that his persue was makeing them run faster, back off let the crooks think they got away then nab them at their homes or in a public place when their gaurd is down, i'm no police officer but i have arrested plenty of criminals when i was a bail bondsman which is a little bit harder because the crook knows if they get caught they are faceing an even longer sentence than what they got arrested for to begin with. to me that's the perfect example of what not to do in a chase, i would not be shocked if the family of the passeger files a wrongful death suit against the police dept. that passenger was in all purposes an unwilling suspect, which had no control over the actions the driver was doing.

but of course nothing is going yo (-to-)
happen to the police unless the family hires a lawyer, lawsuits are one of ways that police dept's look at their policy and sat(say) " well i guess we won't be chaseing people at 100mph anymore" as much of a danger to the public those criminals were, by driving 2tons at such high speeds remember they were not the only ones indangering the public

but whats done is done

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
They should invest if they dont have a police helicoptor or get the new people to follow the car. THey can back off, And wait fro the call telling them were they went, She is an asshole for driving like that,But i think there were many other ways to handle the situation than spin them out,
Just Think what if it was your daughter,sister friend, driving or in the passenger seat?? Would you say" Oh well she deserves it for driving that way" I doubt it. I believe she deserves puishment for driving like that, But i dont think the death penatly was in order.
And any car spun out at that speed would almost ensure death.
Way to many other ways to handle it, Here in CT an officer killed a lady and her daughter becasue he was chasing a speeder and crashed,
That situation could have ended up with a cop killing an innocent driver as much as she could have hit one.

well said klhammett,

she was not endangering innocent people enough to resort to performing a PIT at 100 mph.

With all due respect, that's an oxymoron if I've ever read one! Over labor day weekend here in SLC, some teenagers in a Stealth were zooming thru town at high speeds, lost control, (this is the key factor here!), hit a jeep, then ran over a woman walking her dog before crashing into a tree. "she was not endangering innocent people"? A 100 mph vehicle driven by someone who won't slow it down is simply and irrevocably a LETHAL WEAPON. Do what you must to "disarm" it.

And spike strips--think you could keep from rolling after 4 blowouts at 100 mph? Good luck!

As for what BoostKillsStres says-- OBD-III computerized cars are supposedly capable of being shut down by satellite...

Until then?

Originally posted by TRBON8R

'Every metropolitan police department should have a helicopter at their disposal with an M60 doorgunner to quickly solve these problems when they occur"

yeah and maybe they should have a crack commando unit, and a search and destroy unit, but wait why not just change the police helicopters in for some cobra's or apache helicopters

Get real,

Originally posted by CHARGED
She was driving at speeds of 100+mph for 60 miles, 60miles!!!
She wasn't going to stop until something like this or worse stopped her.
Sure the cops could/should have slowed her down before attempting this move but ultimately it was her decision not to slow down or pull over which cost her and the passenger their lives:(
Maybe the next idiot that tries to run will see this and think twice before endangering other people's lives.

She was 16 years old, I will bet this is not the first time she has run from the police.

She was breaking the law and was not going to stop breaking the law until she got away. The police do not know how old someone is just that they are breaking the law. She had more than enuff time to have stopped but she did not.

She took her own life and the life of the other one in the car.

your right boost police don't know, could you imagine if she was being forced by the other person to drive the way she did because she was being threatend:eek: :eek: , at 16 yrs old i'm sure most of us would get scared, i would definetly sue the police dept. to me they did not use all their resources to try to end this in a different manor,
what happened to shooting out the tires?
spike strips
backing off wow :eek:

too many things not taken into account