1/2 mile event setup advice

DoubleD

Too many Regals
So chicago is having a 1/2 mile event on an airport runway... I'd like to run this car in it, but could use some combo advice. This didn't get much response in my other thread that includes all my combo information. (here: http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/new-personal-best-10-78-122-8.386142/)

1. I am not sure if I should re-gear the car to a 3.23 or a 3.08 for the event or just leave it as it is right now. on the 1/4 mile pass I think it went through the traps at about 5600 rpm and about 123 mph on 28" tires, through a TH400 and a neal chance converter. the way I figure it, the second 1/2 mile is another 7 seconds of WOT time on top of the first 1/4.

2. I have read in other threads where the suggestion would be to run race gas versus pump 93 and methanol. I would consider running the car this way with a new chip obviously. I could also attempt a very small amount of methanol with the race gas...

3. I guess what I am asking is for advice on where people would start being worried about RPM on a 109 and a 210/215 roller cam setup. Where might the horsepower dropoff be in terms of RPM? this would obviously determine if I would need different gears or if it would even perform well with different gears.

4. any other concerns? another thought I had was what to do about engine cooling at speed with the front mount.

I feel like I cannot be overly cautious in this situation.

All thoughts are welcome.

-D

You'll need the 3:23's with TH400,the 3:08's if like to try the mile,your Cam card will tell you your Max. RPM's,if you didn't Box the rear an urathane the front/rear control-arms you'll get a "death wobble" at 120mph plus. (my old factory stock motor,trans,currie 9" 3:50 gear,12.7's e.t.s with pit bull chip,19psi,only 93 octane would 160mph a standing 1 mile,thats Redlining O.D. on factory 87 GN LED gauge) You'll need set Z-rated tires all the way around....I bought set of goodyear Gatorbacks just to try it, V-Rated wasn't enough, The Tire's was all you heard at 160mph....(do it with your windows down,or at over 130mph your windows will pop out from the retainer clips an scare the heck out of you...)

Good Luck

How did you keep the front end down? In my younger, much more foolish days, I ran up past 120 chasing an '89 TTA, and the front end lifted and I lost steering. Thankfully the road was straight and I gently backed out of it and lived. Not something I'd like to repeat.

You'll need the 3:23's with TH400,the 3:08's if like to try the mile,your Cam card will tell you your Max. RPM's,if you didn't Box the rear an urathane the front/rear control-arms you'll get a "death wobble" at 120mph plus. (my old factory stock motor,trans,currie 9" 3:50 gear,12.7's e.t.s with pit bull chip,19psi,only 93 octane would 160mph a standing 1 mile,thats Redlining O.D. on factory 87 GN LED gauge) You'll need set Z-rated tires all the way around....I bought set of goodyear Gatorbacks just to try it, V-Rated wasn't enough, The Tire's was all you heard at 160mph....(do it with your windows down,or at over 130mph your windows will pop out from the retainer clips an scare the heck out of you...)

Good Luck

Thanks Mr. Bozos. The car is lowered pretty far, so I'm not too worried about the front getting crazy. I will have the front shocks turned more to a stiff street setting than a 90/10 like I use for drag racing. Suspension is done with solid bushings everywhere except the lower front control arms. I have mickey thompson DRs and sportsman fronts, which I would imagine should hold these sorts of speeds (much faster cars in the 1/4 running these tires) unless someone says they are unsafe at these speeds. I will very likely build an extra rear end for the event with 3.23s in it. Don't have the cam card... I'll see what I can search out on the forum. It is only a 1/2 mile event, so I won't have to do any 1 mile stuff.

I think I will invest in some race gas and a race gas tune vs the methanol injection, even though I have a fuel cell in the back for the methanol instead of the crappy coolant reservoir.

Keep the suggestions coming. Maybe some other GN guys will wanna come to the event once registration opens.

How did you keep the front end down? In my younger, much more foolish days, I ran up past 120 chasing an '89 TTA, and the front end lifted and I lost steering. Thankfully the road was straight and I gently backed out of it and lived. Not something I'd like to repeat.

22mm ATR adjustible sway-bar on hime-joints,28mm rear,Urathne uppers/lowers bushings all the way around,AK series circle track bilisteins, ATR stock height rate springs, an remove the rear Under Hood rubber seal. Ran KB's fibroglass single ram air front full one piece spoiler.

Yeah man, should be a great event. Thi chicago garage is a sponsor (i spend most of my forum time there) so I will definitely be there.

Anyone else interested in bringing some black bricks out to play?

If its the air strip I'm thinking of it's a really nice place. Basically a neighborhood where the garages on the huge houses are hangers too. You can land your plane and taxi straight into your own garage.

I think you are correct. There are videos and stuff up on the website. I believe registration is opening very soon too.

would love to see more people come out. There will be some cool big hitters out there too. For instance AMS built GT-Rs and stuff. I'm thinking maybe the Alpha Omega will show up.

any more setup advice?