Governor Questions

milesengineer2

I had a local shop do a rebuild on a tranny of mine. When I got it back the tranny shifted too hard and would not kick down to passing gear. I took it back to him and he replaced the governor. Now the 1-2 shift happens at 20mph, 2-3 shift happens at 30 mph and not trying I can be into OD by 40. Before the car ran great, but now the problem is the car wont rev over 4k rpms without breaking up and just plain not accelerating. Tried it with no boost and with full boost, same result.
Was reading a post from a while ago and someone was explaining how the governor worked and I think that I am now onto something. Is there a limiter in the tranny? The only way I can build up enough RPM's to have this happen is by manual shifting. I am just wondering if I now have a governor out of a monte or something like that.

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

Lee

Sounds more like a bad coil or possible someone messed up one of the grounds on hte back of the block when installing the trans, But test the coil pack first, THere is noting in hte trans that will make the lotor break up unless it is not shifting and what your feeling is the rev limiter

I have replaced everything electrical that I can think of. Same conclusion. That is why I was asking about the rev limiter of the governor, or if there is one. Would a monte have a rev limiter lower than ours?

Still confused

Thanks

Lee

Lee, as you probably already know, the governor in our 200R4 trans is specific, could it be the builder did not re-install the correct governor?

HOW

That is the speculation. Before he tinkered with it the tranny shifted harder than any tranny I have ever seen. He played with it trying to adjust this and that and now it shifts like my Buick GS.
What I was wondering though is if other 200r4's like the monte have limiters inside the governor, whether for speed or rpm.

Just trying to solve the mystery.

Thanks for the help

Lee