Got the 84 started - Running rough

84GNTTOP

Just bought the car a month ago - It's been sitting since '94 (over 20 years) due to bad Cam Sensor.
Car has 132,xxx original miles on it.When I start it, the oil light comes on and the motor makes some ticking noise (Sound like lifters are not getting oil).The oil which I drained before starting - was very black. I'm not sure if that was from sitting or lack of maintenance. I'm guessing a little of both. Also, the previous owner replaced the timing chain before parking it. I'm planning on pulling the oil pan to check the oil pickup screen and pump (Not sure where the pump is located on these). Should I run some oil flush through it first? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
I would pull the cam sensor and run the oil pressure up. That should have been done before even trying to start it imop

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I would pull the cam sensor and run the oil pressure up. That should have been done before even trying to start it imop

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'm learning as I go. I did put some mystery oil in all the cylinders and cranked by hand. This car is completely stock - so I only have the idiot light to go off for now. I can definitely pull the cam sensor and try to run the oil pressure up. Do I need to pull a valve cover to see if I'm getting oil up to the lifters? Any tips are much appreciated. Thanks for your help Boost231.