got a turbo question about removing housing

R

Raist103

OK here goes I don't know the names of the pieces well but what I have is a Inlet from the intercooler, a middle section, and a exhaust housing. Now I can not remove the inlet housing, not just the cover but the hole thing from the center. I removed the 4 bolts that hold it on but now it just spins. I did the same for the exhaust housing(couple more bolts maybe 6-8) and after a couple light taps with a hammer the housing comes off, not so with the inlet side. I need to remove this, do I have to take the fan out to do this?
I broke 2 bolts off changing the turbo but still want to use it I am plannig on useing the inlet housing and exhaust housing on the newer turbo both almost the same size. TE-60 & TE61.

Just to make it clear I am tring to remove the inlet from the middle section. Exhaust side is fine and already removed and replaced.

either email me at raistlin103@hotmail.com or reply to this and I should get an email telling me there is a new post.

Thanks for all the help

The inlet housing (connected to the air cleaner and the intercooler) is held on by the wastegate bracket and two other small brackets with a total of 6 - 1/2" bolts. The bolts are on the side facing the exhaust elbow. Once you have these bolts and brackets off, disconnect the intercooler/air cleaner/vacuum line.

It should pull off relatively easy pulling towards the driver side.

My guess is that you are missing the wastegate bracket and the 2 bolts holding it on.

Hope this helps.

Yup I got that off I just can not get the plate that is behind that and before the fan off.

Thanks

Still a little confused here. Sorry.

Your original post said that you removed the 4 bolts holding the inlet housing to the center section.. but there are 6 bolts holding that on. That is why it is spinning. You missed 2.

But now you said you got that. When you pull that off you should see the turbine blades exposed. The flat surface between the blades and the center section is actually part of the center section and can't be removed unles you remove the blades.

Is this what you mean?

If you buy a rebuilt center section you only need the inlet and exhaust housing. There is no need to remove the blades. It just causes hassle because they will need to be rebalanced then.

Hope this helps.

ok thanks that was what I was looking for the plate IS part of the center section then I need to try some thing different to fit my problems
Thanks for the info