Got a boost question...

Robbie-87plz

Junior Boost-Head
The car's only hitting 10 lbs of boost. Didn't change a thing from the week I ran 13.X with xylene... Now I'm worried that I hurt something... no visible vacuum leaks, actuator not stuck, boost set at 18 or so lbs...any ideas? TIA

No siree

Didn't touch a darn thing...tried to wash off some grease off the chassis, but that's it...:(

Other than the max boost, have you noticed any changes in idle quality, engine RPM, etc...?

Idle seems a bit shaky...she still pulls pretty well...no stumbling whatsoever...
Anyone have a boost solenoid for sale/loan to see if mine is bad? I'd love to take care of this on Sat. Thanks for the help...

Have you noticed any difference in the lights on the factory boost gauge? One of your vacuum lines may have popped off somewhere, causing a vacuum leak.

Robbie,

If the boost solenoid is leaking as you might be suspecting then I would think the boost would be higher. The solenoid regulates the boost with the ECM by bleeding turbo boost pressure from the wastegate. If the boost pressure was zero then the boost will go sky high.;)

start with fresh set of plugs

a cylinder could drop out only when in boost and its hard to tell since it will fire when out of boost

no I dont live in Hawaii :eek:

Did some poking around again...

...the connector plugged into the solenoid looks like oily residue, could that have gotten in and messed it up or am I grasping at straws?

Not grasping at straws..... Keep looking. That oily stuff is just weather pack sealant (or something like that....). It helps to keep the moisture/corrosion off of the connectors.

Check for vacuum leaks. Check that your downpipe puck is not stuck open (disconnect the wastegate actuator rod and see if its swings freely. If it does, then leave the rod disconnected, and tie up the puck in the closed position and see what happens. Process of elimination. :)

Thanks...checked for leaks via visual inspection of the hoses, will try the free swinging rod/puck idea. Thank you again...

:eek: I feel no love in here ...lol

and I buy all my hop up scooter parts from Hawaii :p

:D

still say dead cylinder when in boost ;)

AC-CR43 TS, or NGK UR-5's for me. :cool:

Others like Autolite 23's or 24's.

Mahalo...

...Seems the shops around here only carry Champion, other brands, not the AC. Thanks Geoff.:cool:

I had this same problem a few times (back when I owned my GN :( ) But once it was a very small hole in the intercooler hose (couldn't see it until I removed the hose and bent it the right way to see th crack). Another time was a bad coil pack (Back to Red's idea of a bad cylinder).

If I remember right, if you were to connect the sensing port of the turbo directly to the wastegate, it would give 10 lbs of boost. Since this is what you are seeing, maybe the wastegate solenoid isn't working and bleeding boost off to increase boost to where you want it. You could buy a bleeder valve and install it to eliminate the solenoid all together. There are just so many things that could cause this, from what I mentioned to a clogged catalytic converter. Good luck though.

Now I'm back to my hidden shelf, watching this board. I just can't get the GN bug out of my system.

Derrick

Going to the wrong shops.......

Redline Auto for the A/C's. I think that I bought the NGK UR-5's from Checker Auto.