Good engine builder in NC?

Phoenix_400

I was wondering if anyone knew a good builder for a GN engine around the Fayetteville/Raliegh area?

I'm looking to build my shortblock to handle low 11's-high10's. I'm nowhere near that but I probably will be once the speed bug hits. The car is an 85 hot air, soon to be converted to 86/87 setup.

My friends usually use Competition Machine in Fayetteville and have had good luck, but I don't know much experience they have outside older v8s.

Try bigwoodracing.com. Don't know what if anything they do engine-wise but they are the ones building Shane's beast.

Thanks for the prop Kevin!

We do not do motor work but come on down to the shop and talk to Jay and I am sure we can hook you up with whatever you need. We can have your motor done by one of the vendors on this board!!!

BIGWOOD RACING HOMEPAGE

SGRIM- Outstanding!! You guys are up in Benson? I pass through there every once and awhile. Might need to stop in and chat with ya. I actually work part time at H&H Performance in Fayetteville, but that's EVO and Subaru City with the AWD Dyno we've got. I'm one of the only old muscle car holdouts there and dangit, it gets lonely.

I see you guys do SCT and Diablo tuning. I can see about shooting you guys some business if you're interested. We've got some Mustangs and few newer domestics coming through looking for those. We can do the installs and some tuning with those but as I said, we've become sort of a subaru, evo, import specialty shop. :( for me.--

-- I called DLS today, they sound like they're slammed. Ya'll keepin' 'em busy I reckon :p . Maybe the guys up at Cotton's can help? I'm getting some parts from there, but I'd like to stay local on the buildup. (I'm cheap, don't wanna pay shipping:D )

try shottin NCturbos a pm to see if he is covered up. he is located in charlotte and does very very good work! his name is keith soffa.

If you aren't in a hurry Jack is supposed to be coming down in Oct to BUrlington, you might be able to leave it with him then to take back...save a few $$ on transport...or see what Jay and Co. have to say...

try shottin NCturbos a pm to see if he is covered up. he is located in charlotte and does very very good work! his name is keith soffa.

Thanks for the props... :biggrin:

Phoenix_400, let me know if I can help.

K.

Keith is a good guy and very knowledgeable. He has been helping me with some issues on an 89 Turbo TA that I just purchased.

Dang, you beat me to it Irene.Jack..... When I lived at Ft. Bragg back in 96-99 me and Eric and his brother Brian and a few others used to hang out and race together. Eric has been doing Hi performance for a long time and knows what works and what doesnt. At last I talked to him he had a Chevy II that was running high 7's in the 1320. He was using a machine shop down past the airport. Competition Machine on Suggs Rd. Give Eric a call and tell him Jeremy Walters from Louisiana says Hello!!!:biggrin:

Just because someone "knows what works" doesnt mean they know anything about Buicks. Seems like Im getting a Buick in the shop weekly that "someone who knows what works" jacked up to where it wouldnt even run.

From an engine builder standpoiint, I dont know anyone in NC I would trust. There are a few Ive heard decent things about but Ive also heard negative too but I guess thats to be expected.

If I were in your shoes, I'd find a shop that could get your engine built by someone reputable, put it back in, tune it and send you out the door happy.

There are several good engine builders on the east coast.

Just because someone "knows what works" doesnt mean they know anything about Buicks. Seems like Im getting a Buick in the shop weekly that "someone who knows what works" jacked up to where it wouldnt even run.

From an engine builder standpoiint, I dont know anyone in NC I would trust. There are a few Ive heard decent things about but Ive also heard negative too but I guess thats to be expected.

There are several good engine builders on the east coast.

Guess I should have said "knows what works and what doesnt ON BUICKS!"
Eric has built several buicks as there was a group of about 6 of us that ran together and relied on his help. Hope that clarifies things. Yes, there are several good "buick shops" on the east coast. But hes not asking for an 8sec car. He is asking for a high10 -low11 bottom end. No real magic there that doesnt apply to anything else. It is either right or its not. clearanced right, balanced right and assembled right. ATTENTION TO DETAIL. end of story.

Jeez, I wasn't expecting so many options. I've got about 2 months consider all my options before I've got the bucks. I'm trying to get ahead of the game right now.

--SGRIM- One of my buddies knows you guys and speaks very highly of you. Nick, he drives a yellow mustang, 94 or 95, with a cobra irs rear suspension swapped in. Says he talks with Randy there a bit I believe. He's part of the Sandhills Mustang Club. I've also got a buddy that just bought a mint 87 GN. I sent him the link to your website and he's really impressed, if he gets the time we'll probably roll up there together one day.

--irene.jack & jpwalt1987 - I'm interested in how much experience All Pro has with these engines. Competition Machine is just down the road from the shop I work at. We're off Old Wilmington, not far from the Collesium. We actually use them for alot of our machine work. I'll have to give them a call after the holiday.

--NCTURBOS- I'll definitly keep you in mind if nothing around here pans out. I'm trying to stay local, no offense. I'm a country boy and city traffic makes me crazy (and living smack in the middle of fayetteville has not improved my disposition). Driving in Charlotte left me pure dee certifiable for a few days:biggrin:

Thanks bud!

Check out the group meetings in the Southeast Section. The GM Turbo 6 group gets together every month in NC!! We just had open house at Bigwood!

Good luck on your build and feel free to PM me or email me if you need anything!