GNTTYPE cold air kit opinions

The ram air effect doesn't really happen all that well. But it never hurts to put the air filter outside the engine compartment. Don't cut your air damn up just because you think there will be some significant gain. Unless you like the look, it's not worth it at all.

I got this one from GBP. 4 inch all the way to the front of the rad support. I run FAST so not having maf and one piece is a plus. If you run a maf, it would be cut in...like I have done in my prior system setup

Attachments

• 20160116_121048_resized.jpg
    20160116_121048_resized.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 20160116_121652_resized.jpg
    20160116_121652_resized.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 20160116_121705_resized.jpg
    20160116_121705_resized.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 238
Has anyone made one of these? If so, any noticable gains? And how does it look? I just have a cone filter on the end of a maf pipe/maf in the engine bay at the moment. Here is the link. http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/coldair.html

Hey Cole give me a call. You know I'm a sheet metal welder and I'll fab you up something kick ass with out cutting anything up on your car.

No one will even know it's there from looking at the car with the hood closed.

I got this one from GBP. 4 inch all the way to the front of the rad support. I run FAST so not having maf and one piece is a plus. If you run a maf, it would be cut in...like I have done in my prior system setup
Looks great!!

Hey Cole give me a call. You know I'm a sheet metal welder and I'll fab you up something kick ass with out cutting anything up on your car.

No one will even know it's there from looking at the car with the hood closed.
Cool! Thanks

That is a nice piece. If you notice the small picture in my avatar I had to do something similar for both sides.

Has anyone made one of these? If so, any noticable gains? And how does it look?..........

If you are wanting HP gains with an air intake system under the bumper, that is NOT going to happen?

Any airflow in a tube or hose will be restricted to a degree, and a lot when you add bends as you then add more restriction.

When we were running a few turbo cars in NHRA class racing where there is very close competition and every single HP needs to be available, we did lots of dyno testing in stock and modified turbo cars. We found 12-40 HP difference from no air inlet ducting to various ducting configurations.

The best configuration when rules allowed, the turbo would be oriented with the inlet facing the front of the car and at high speed the ram air direct into the turbo would add HP.

In the case of a street GN, the air temp under the hood becomes the same as ambient air temp as soon as the car gets moving, so this negates the thought of incoming air from under the bumper being cooler. :)

If you are wanting HP gains with an air intake system under the bumper, that is NOT going to happen?

Any airflow in a tube or hose will be restricted to a degree, and a lot when you add bends as you then add more restriction.

When we were running a few turbo cars in NHRA class racing where there is very close competition and every single HP needs to be available, we did lots of dyno testing in stock and modified turbo cars. We found 12-40 HP difference from no air inlet ducting to various ducting configurations.

The best configuration when rules allowed, the turbo would be oriented with the inlet facing the front of the car and at high speed the ram air direct into the turbo would add HP.

In the case of a street GN, the air temp under the hood becomes the same as ambient air temp as soon as the car gets moving, so this negates the thought of incoming air from under the bumper being cooler. :)

Nick I love ya but I will call no way JOSE" on the last one.

Even when the car is moving you are passing hot hair into the engine compartment while moving. That is just how the radiator works.
If you pull air from the engine compart it will be higher than if you pull it in from outside the engine compartment.
When sitting still the fan does it and pulls it in the compartment.
I have my intake air coming in from under the bumper and the IATs don't lie.

When at a standstill in traffic with the fan on the temps will rise because of the fan wash forcing air through and downward in the engine compartment reaching my filter.

Once rolling or with the fan off the temps don't go up as high or as fast if the intake air is outside the engine compartment. You will never be at ambient air temp as there is heat soak that will be passed on into the intake system to a certain degree.
Pun intended.

Nick I love ya but I will call no way JOSE" on the last one.

Even when the car is moving you are passing hot hair into the engine compartment while moving. That is just how the radiator works.
If you pull air from the engine compart it will be higher than if you pull it in from outside the engine compartment.
When sitting still the fan does it and pulls it in the compartment.
I have my intake air coming in from under the bumper and the IATs don't lie.

When at a standstill in traffic with the fan on the temps will rise because of the fan wash forcing air through and downward in the engine compartment reaching my filter.

Once rolling or with the fan off the temps don't go up as high or as fast if the intake air is outside the engine compartment. You will never be at ambient air temp as there is heat soak that will be passed on into the intake system to a certain degree.
Pun intended.
I'm kinda on this fence with this one...... Kinda. Although I still believe a little colder air to start with at idle is never a bad Idea, I'm not sure it matters much when your moving. I also don't believe that a 4" inlet pipe bent into a pretzel poses any real amount of restriction either. It simply isn't small enough on most any of our TR's. Maybe for the big, BIG dogs. But not us.

I think what it boils down to for most average street guys is to generally follow the standard rules, "bigger straighter intake piping, and colder air can't hurt."
But don't go cutting the crap out of everything unless you know your gonna love it. Because you might not gain a single ounce of anything.

Search Grumpy's posts on this, no difference. If you like it get one , it's a personal preference with no et difference. The new Mustangs and Copos pick the air up under the hood with 8 second et's . I think leaving the weather strip off from the cowl would do more.