GN1 downpipe- what do you guys think?

What are the advantages to running an external wastegate over internal?What else should be done to take advantage of that setup?

i got the gn1 downpipe, Brer Rabbit helped me install it since im new to turbo buicks. here are some pics

Downpipe looks real good Letsndy. I just ordered one this morning, along with the matching cutout pipe and cat-back exhaust. $1274.00 for everything with shipping, and like I said in my earlier post about getting a quote since I bought the entire system he threw in a free Turbonetics boost controller! Can't wait to get this stuff and get to work!!!

What are the advantages to running an external wastegate over internal?What else should be done to take advantage of that setup?

My understanding: The external wastegate is newer/better technology. A big advantage would be the internal wastegate/stock wastegate solenoid setup is progressive, meaning if you have your boost set at, say, 17 psi the puck will actually begin opening at a lower pressure like 10 or 12 and will be fully open at 17. This causes issues with boost creep. With the external wastegate/boost controller, the WG stays closed until the boost reaches the set pressure, then the wastegate pulsates or opens completely as needed. This, along with getting rid of the stock wastegate elbow, allows for better spooling of the turbo. Another advantage in my book is no more losing wastegate actuator clips or burning yourself trying to adjust a hot wastegate--just turn a remotely-mounted knob and you're done!

remotely turned knob?

I take it a boost controller is required and how much adjusability is there what sort of boost range?

I believe it is a requirement for any external WG setup and they're available in different ranges. The one I'm getting if I remember correctly goes from 0-25 PSI, then Turbonetics makes one (useless in our application) that goes from 0-10 PSI and another that goes from 0-50 PSI which I may end up ordering for my CTD Dodge truck since right now I'm already seeing 24 PSI of boost in it during moderate to hard acceleration. The CTD is altogether a different animal; even just cruising down the highway the boost stays at a constant 8-15 PSI (depending on engine load.) The only time it's at 0 on the boost gauge is if I'm driving at a steady rate of under about 30 mph or idling.

I ordered Archies 3" dual stainless exhaust a couple days ago. Cant wait to get it and I really have to say Archie is a nice guy to deal with. I talked with him for a few hours over a couple days about different items I need for my Stage 2 motor. He's making 3.5" externally gated down pipes now. They are made to clear all headers including ATR. He said we would need to clearence the plastic inner fender about 2" on the round hump for this DP. I didnt order because I really want one that fits closer to the block as I am using TA headers anyways. I'm going to think it over a little more and may end up ordering one. I suppose my car is modified enough I should worry about originality anyways! But I'll give Archie a thumbs up so far! -----Jeremy

Can you post some pictures of where the boost controller is installed?

You can put it wherever you can find room; some people put it in the car where it can be adjusted on the fly but most people prefer to keep the hoses shorter by mounting it under the hood close to the wastegate, such as on the passenger side inner fenderwell near the coolant recovery tank which is where mine will probably go. Still beats losing the stock wastegate clip just before burning yourself on a hot turbine housing while trying to adjust an internal wastegate.

On a side note, I received everything (downpipe, boost controller, cutout pipe, cat back exhaust) the other day and everything looks great except the exhaust clamps & hangers and some fittings for the boost controller kit were missing, but I called Archie up and he said he'd get them out to me right away. Aside from that, I just need to get a broken bolt (with a broken easy-out in it:mad: ) removed from my turbine housing and I'll be all set to put this stuff in...I can't wait!:cool:

You can put it wherever you can find room; some people put it in the car where it can be adjusted on the fly but most people prefer to keep the hoses shorter by mounting it under the hood close to the wastegate, such as on the passenger side inner fenderwell near the coolant recovery tank which is where mine will probably go. Still beats losing the stock wastegate clip just before burning yourself on a hot turbine housing while trying to adjust an internal wastegate.

On a side note, I received everything (downpipe, boost controller, cutout pipe, cat back exhaust) the other day and everything looks great except the exhaust clamps & hangers and some fittings for the boost controller kit were missing, but I called Archie up and he said he'd get them out to me right away. Aside from that, I just need to get a broken bolt (with a broken easy-out in it:mad: ) removed from my turbine housing and I'll be all set to put this stuff in...I can't wait!:cool:
congratz on your purchase and believe me you will notice a big difference, archies a really good guy and is all about customer service.

congratz on your purchase and believe me you will notice a big difference, archies a really good guy and is all about customer service.

Thanks, after he said he would make everything right with the missing parts it made me feel a whole lot better. He does seem like an outstanding guy to do business with and he's got a bunch more stuff I want to eventually get.

I sent my turbine housing to work with another board member that lives real close by to try to get that broken bolt out--hopefully soon he'll call me with some excellent news...

Just got my 3" stainless dual exhaust a couple minutes ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN NICE! High quality exhaust and it's fully pollished. I cant wait to put it on! Archie also sent me a fitted TURBO 6 hat and a nice TURBO 6 T Shirt! Thanks ARCHIE!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin: -------Jeremy

Just got my downpipe. Man it looks purty! I didn't get any hat or t-shirt though...bummer:(

Attachments

• Downpipe.jpg
    Downpipe.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 355
i got his 24 row polished intercooler $555.00. fit like a glove and the performance out of the box is awesome my car at 21 psi is rippin it pulls like a mofo compared to the duttneck at 24psi. at 27psi it is just plain scary!!!!!! also my car runs alot cooler. archie is a great guy fast shipping

i got his 24 row polished intercooler $555.00. fit like a glove and the performance out of the box is awesome my car at 21 psi is rippin it pulls like a mofo compared to the duttneck at 24psi. at 27psi it is just plain scary!!!!!! also my car runs alot cooler. archie is a great guy fast shipping

That's next on my list...gotta get my downpipe & exhaust installed first, then recuperate from buying them...:biggrin:

Just thought I'd throw up a few new vs. old pics--I got so involved with putting this stuff in I forgot to take pictures of the mufflers & tailpipes though. Just so you guys know the old muffler was a crappy Flowmaster crossflow. The old downpipe (not even sure what kind it was, only that it was 3" and used the stock elbow) was a pain in the a$$ to remove--I had to jack the car up as high as it would go and pull it out from underneath. The new one slid in from up top and fits great. The difference this new exhaust made is huge, probably mostly due to getting rid of the stock WG elbow and the Flowmaster.
DSC00028.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

I also bought archies downpipe and exhaust last fall, was part of my winter project and it fits great, someone asked about clearance, I got antsy and put the downpipe on before I was done replacing my motor/trans mounts. mine were original on my 135,000 mile car. needless to say the downpipe rested on the upper control arm and the framerail. I called and spoke to archie about it, he reassured me it would fit great when my new mounts were in and he was right, a ton of clearance all the way around with new poly mounts. Also someone else asked about turbo sheilds, I was able to install mine by cutting the side with the template that is floating around and I also trimmed a small half moon shape where the wastegate comes off the pipe. Let me say, everything fit great and looks awesome. Deffinately notice a difference even from my still stock turbo. Best of all is the customer service from archie. I was a little worried after ordering from him when I saw some pretty negative things written about him here, I thought OH S%$T DID I JUST BUY A BIG PILE OF USELESS PARTS. Answer is NO WAY, they were all just as advertised. I have emailed archie several times with questions, once late at night on a weekday after coming in from the garage, and much to my surprise I got a response within about 5 minutes, then on a sunday afternoon I emailed him another question and he called me about 10 minutes later, and helped me figure out an issue, and another that didn't correspond to his product. I have done business with many of the vendors on this board and will continue to do so, but archie will get the first call from me, because noone else has been as helpful and straightforward to deal with.

I don't think anyone will be disappointed with his products or his customer service.

Jeff

I also just installed a GN1 downpipe and cat-back. I called Archie with a question and he got out of line at the post office to talk to me right there. I have to ask, did anyone else have to change there factory hanger that held the cat converter? Mine is a little small, but may have been changed by the shop that did the crappy system I just took off. If you did, where did you get your new hanger, and do you have a part number. I am going to the parts store tomorrow and just try to match up one with the gasket that should fit. All in all THUMBS UP TO ARCHIE!

My understanding: The external wastegate is newer/better technology.

Ummm.. no

External wastegates are older technology and what the fast people USED to use. Then everyone got brainwashed into thinking the TH style pipes were "better."

External gates are just all around better than the stock style. Not to say that the stock style dont work but IMO the externals give better control. I was running Turbonetics Deltagates on my car back in the freaking 80s.

Ummm.. no

External wastegates are older technology and what the fast people USED to use. Then everyone got brainwashed into thinking the TH style pipes were "better."

External gates are just all around better than the stock style. Not to say that the stock style dont work but IMO the externals give better control. I was running Turbonetics Deltagates on my car back in the freaking 80s.

Jay, Have you tried the new Racegates?

Attachments

• Brians4inDP001.jpg
    Brians4inDP001.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 246