GN vs. Syclone <surprise ending>

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a valid point.However and not to sound bias because i'm a die hard BUICK enthusiast but BUICK had every thing right from the start on the gns,at least with the intercooled ones.The cranks, rods etc was a unheard of problem.The syty is rare and quick and cool i'm not bashing them at all i was just stating a fact from what i've learned through my own experience and have heard.

they should have put the buick 3.8l in that truck. They could have done it. I have heard of several problems with the drivetrain and bottom end of the motor. I have a friend with a typhoon that has had the motor out 3 times. the bottom end is very weak. I told him to buy a gn or keep his foot out of it:eek:

Actually, the prototype, the one that started it all, was built by one of our club members in the GSCA . I don't remember his name but i remember talkin to him a couple of years at the nats and seeing the truck.I haven't seen him or the truck in 3 years at least now maybe longer but it had the buick engine in it and that is the way it should have been!But that's another subject about how GM put the smackdown on buick and wouldn't let them do anything anymore.They said that there "flagship" line chevy had been made look bad by buick to much.The 89 "BUICK" TTA INDY PACE CAR WAS A HUGE EMBARASSMENT TO THE ZR1 and etc,etc!!:cool:

Originally posted by buickman69
Actually, the prototype, the one that started it all, was built by one of our club members in the GSCA . I don't remember his name but i remember talkin to him a couple of years at the nats and seeing the truck.I haven't seen him or the truck in 3 years at least now maybe longer but it had the buick engine in it and that is the way it should have been!But that's another subject about how GM put the smackdown on buick and wouldn't let them do anything anymore.They said that there "flagship" line chevy had been made look bad by buick to much.The 89 "BUICK" TTA INDY PACE CAR WAS A HUGE EMBARASSMENT TO THE ZR1 and etc,etc!!:cool:

"Made to look bad by buick to much" you act if as the Buick line has produced many performance vehicles. The 87 Gn/GNX and the 89 TTA. Thats it. (Please expain your etc. etc. which buicks have embarrased chevy autos. althought they were awsome cars). now go ahead and start listing every performance car that bucik has ever made since 1929.

super 6--- if your friend replaced his motor 3 times he is an idiot. He should of replaced it once and right. The reason he has been blowing motors was because the GM (which buick is under) replacment motors for sy/tys are garbage. How do i know he has been getting the GM replacements? Because there is no other excuse for it.

the truth is the turbo buick line was and is a huge sucess but there are also other nice automobiles. Sy/tys are not perfect but neither are the turbo buicks. Everyone has there likes and dislikes. One of the major reasons I didnt buy a turbo buick was because they just looked old. Yeah there very easy to make fast but fast isnt everything to everybody. you might be the fastest one out there but people still think you are driving a grandmas cars. And you might say you dont care what people think but that would be a lie, if you didnt car what people thought you would drive a ford!

Originally posted by dboosted1

One of the major reasons I didnt buy a turbo buick was because they just looked old.

Because they are old! I sold my '67 GTO for mine, so it was like getting a brand new car for me. I like old - especially when nothing "new" can keep up with it.

Yeah there very easy to make fast but fast isnt everything to everybody.

Which is why there's Mustangs....now you sound like a GT owner.

you might be the fastest one out there but people still think you are driving a grandmas cars.

Sleeper - part of the Turbo Buick aura.

And you might say you dont care what people think but that would be a lie, if you didnt car what people thought you would drive a ford!

Personally, I don't care what people think. If I did, I'd be driving a 3-series BMW or a giant mini-van like the rest of my neighbors.

Let's face it, you're not hurting anyone's feelings by telling them you don't like the way the Regals look. If that's your argument in support of SyTys, it's a losing one. Lots of people hate the way the SyTys look, too (shoe box comes to mind). Listen to the Lightning owners when they lose to a SyTy - they fall back on the "shoebox" argument. I own a Ty, I love it, I don't care. If everyone liked the same things we'd all still be driving black Model As.

Second, the bottom ends in the SyTys are an acknowledged weak point. I've been trying to be nice, but let's be realistic here. You can't compare the strength of the bottom end of the 4.3 to the 3.8. It's silly. Yes, like ANY other brand of car there are examples of some going really fast. It all depends on your loyalty to a particular configuration, the limits of your patience and the size of your bank accout. The TRs are a proven go-fast combination. It doesn't make the SyTys bad. No need to put up a big defense. We've made our choices, if you're comfortable in them you should let what others think roll off you.

Jim

DBOOSTED1

I'm young and like to drive my old buick to kill all these new cars. My friend an idiot? I would say the person rebuilding his motor is the idiot.:rolleyes: I see you have 3 posts:rolleyes: I don't give a rats a@@ what people think about what i drive. I drive a 92 tercel to work and back but i know what i am going to play in. Guess? my gn old car:D I get many many compliments on my cars looks everytime i take it out. To each his own but for me i will take the gn over any other car on the planet:cool:

Originally posted by turbojimmy

Second, the bottom ends in the SyTys are an acknowledged weak point. I've been trying to be nice, but let's be realistic here. You can't compare the strength of the bottom end of the 4.3 to the 3.8. It's silly. Yes, like ANY other brand of car there are examples of some going really fast. It all depends on your loyalty to a particular configuration, the limits of your patience and the size of your bank accout. The TRs are a proven go-fast combination. It doesn't make the SyTys bad. No need to put up a big defense. We've made our choices, if you're comfortable in them you should let what others think roll off you.

Jim

Yep the stock 3.8 is much stronger than the 4.3L, but a set of pistons and rods and the 4.3's good for high10's, which in my opinon is pretty tough, now I know the 3.8's can go high 10's without aftermarket pistons and rods, they just blow head gaskets and eat cams, I guess we all have our weak spot.

TurboSy

I'd much rather blow a head gasket than blow up my motor, but to each his own... BTW, these cars don't eat cams and if your car is tuned properly and your not running lean u won't blow head gaskets... FYI, I've seen several TRs running well over 30lbs of boost with the stock bottom end and not blowing head gaskets... Orlando Granada has run over 40lbs of boost with his stock block GN for 3 or 4 years now and hasn't blown his motor yet!!! I'm pretty sure he's still running the stock pistons, rods, and crank... Yeah, sure he's blown a couple of head gaskets, but I'd love to see one of the Sy's or Ty's run 40lbs on a stock block motor... Can u say KABOOM!!!:D Also, he launches with 20lbs of boost... I wonder if u can do that with an AWD Ty or Sy??? No flames intended, but the 4.3 V6 is a far cry from the Buick 3.8 IMO.

As stated before the argument of looks is nothing more than opinion. The argument of which is stronger is fact. To me I love the look of the GN. It just exudes power. I think it is one of the meanest, toughest, most intimdateing cars out there. I didn't like the look of the 4th gen f-body at first, but now it is starting to grow on me. I really like the look of my brothers 97 SS camaro convertible. The new mustang looks sporty with a modern edge to it. Does my opinion of these cars matter? Not one bit. Thats the point.

Here's some ideas

25 MPG
mid-high 11s
less than $1600 spent for the above
insurance- $300 every 6 months
rides like a Caddy
Mean reputation
easy mods
super aftermarket
etc., etc., etc.......

The biggest reason:
I love my GN- SO KISS MY ASS:D

No flames intended

I wouldn't say that the syty bottom ends are total junk. The one in my typhoon has been keeping up pretty well. I have made over 50 passes at the track on 28psi. My motor is COMPLETELY stock. Of course I use race gas and watch the knock. Now I know they dont compare to 3.8's as far as strength, but i'm impressed with what my truck has done so far.
Later
Jordan
92 ty 11.94 @ 114

To dboosted1:In answering your statement that" i talk as if BUICK had a lot of performance cars" you seem to forget about the STAGE1 and the GSX which STOMPED EVERYTHING ON THE STREET IN 70 AND WAS THE CHEVYS AND MOPARS NIGHTMARE.Don't forget how they dominated nascar some in the 70s and 80s and paced many races, you obviously don't know your BUICK HISTORY very well,you probably aren't a loyal buick enthusiast either!If you'll check back to an article in MUSCLE CAR REVIEW from sometime in 70 they raced and compared and rated all the muscle cars for that year.The BUICK GSX was 1 the LS6 chevelle 2 and the hemi cuda 3.In 82 the nat aspirated v6 gn would beat the vette which was a slug and the mustang.In the 60s buick wasn't the top dog like the gto but they were fair.Again i don't mean to sound like a smart a!# but you need to research your buick history.My next project is a 63 2dr nova with a BUICK 350 with factory heads and intake "worked and hogged out of course" i'll have at least 600hp at the rear wheels.Why am i doing this and going to all that expense you mighr ask? Well your right it's costing ,"trust me" but just to make a statement to guys like you that doubt buick.If you've never been to the buick nats in bg ky you should come and see guys like TOM WAGNER with a full factory weight 2dr 69 buick wildcat full interior and crome bumpers and all 4,700lb car run 11.70 @ 117 mph in the summer heat.Yes i can go on and on!

Originally posted by grnmachine
I wouldn't say that the syty bottom ends are total junk. The one in my typhoon has been keeping up pretty well. I have made over 50 passes at the track on 28psi. My motor is COMPLETELY stock. Of course I use race gas and watch the knock. Now I know they dont compare to 3.8's as far as strength, but i'm impressed with what my truck has done so far.
Later
Jordan
92 ty 11.94 @ 114

Jordan, you forgot to tell them to KISS YOUR ASS, and then write NO FLAMES INTENDED.

HOSSV6, KISS MY ASS, BTW: We have truck doing the very same thing as you. Here's mine, 20G trubo ($700), fuel pump($100), injectors($250), regulator($100), chip($5), k&N($30). 12.19@110. My best is faster, but with a different intercooler.

HOSSV6, Kiss my ass, flame intended.

Originally posted by dboosted1

One of the major reasons I didnt buy a turbo buick was because they just looked old. Yeah there very easy to make fast but fast isnt everything to everybody. you might be the fastest one out there but people still think you are driving a grandmas cars.

Man WHERE have you been???

I get plenty of compliments on my GN and alot of them are from 16-20 yrs olds, young kids!

I mean the cars just look awesome with the black paint scheme, hell mine looks like it's doing 140mph just setting in the driveway!

Need I say more!!!

TurboSy

Since were on the topic of TRs why don't we bring the TTA's into this arguement since they also have the Buick 3.8 turbo 6 motor... I've heard of a couple running high 10's (I think I even heard of one running a mid 10) with only bolt ons (No Heads/Cam/Intake)... Can u do this with your Ty??? NO FLAMES INTENDED cause I'm fast with class and u can kiss my ass J/K LOL;)

Yes 86brick you are absolutley correct!The "BUICK" TTA has better heads than the GN and you can run higher boost on pump gas with no downsides,somesthing the sy/ty can't do!

Re: TurboSy

Originally posted by 86brick
I'd much rather blow a head gasket than blow up my motor, but to each his own... BTW, these cars don't eat cams and if your car is tuned properly and your not running lean u won't blow head gaskets... FYI, I've seen several TRs running well over 30lbs of boost with the stock bottom end and not blowing head gaskets... Orlando Granada has run over 40lbs of boost with his stock block GN for 3 or 4 years now and hasn't blown his motor yet!!! I'm pretty sure he's still running the stock pistons, rods, and crank... Yeah, sure he's blown a couple of head gaskets, but I'd love to see one of the Sy's or Ty's run 40lbs on a stock block motor... Can u say KABOOM!!!:D Also, he launches with 20lbs of boost... I wonder if u can do that with an AWD Ty or Sy??? No flames intended, but the 4.3 V6 is a far cry from the Buick 3.8 IMO.

So this guy was launching with 20 psi with stock tires, stock rear end, stock tranny, stock suspension? I'm guessing not and that brings me to my next point, here's a stock 4.3L, wonder if he can launch with 20 psi? The truck ain't stock, but neither is your 40 psi Buick.

rwd_ty.jpg

Alright you can all kiss my ass now. J/k You know, I was ready to buy a Buick, but after watching many street races I found that mid 12 second Syclones were killing mid 11 second Regals, so I made the right choice and bought the Syclone. Now we all need to keep this "Buick Rules" thing going though, that way I can continue to collect your paychecks at the lights. Buick guys make great customers, in fact they've bought all my mods, damn life's great. Hope to see ya at the lights.

Mark L

TurboSy

Yes he launches with 20lbs of boost on slicks with the stock rearend, mostly stock suspension, and a built 200R4 factory tranny with a 4000 stall converter... This car was running 10.0s with 40lbs of boost and now with a newer combo it has run the same 10.0 times at a lower boost level of 30lbs and I'm sure this car will see 9's very soon... Keep in mind this car has a 90% factory stock long block (stock pistons and crank) the only thing that isn't stock is the rods I believe and this car also is using the stock iron heads ported and polished (not aluminum heads), and from what I was told the car uses the stock intercooler with bigger necks and a cool box and also I'm pretty sure this car does not have a DFI setup on it either, so IMO it is pretty damn impressive!!! I'm sure there is a couple of Sy's or Ty's running similar times, but they have built motors and most likely have been converted to RWD which doesn't come at a cheap price... Stage II cars are a whole different story and I can tell u there are some very fast ones driving around on the street that are 9 and 8 second cars, and I wonder if your AWD Sy runs 9's LOL!!! BTW, your Sy might beat a TR 0 to 60 on the street with street tires, but I'd venture to say that after about 60 70mph you'd be seeing Buick tailights:D Oh yeah before I forget what has the fastest Sy or Ty ran in the 1/4??? I'm guessing high 9's or maybe a little faster where as the fastest TRs have run in the 6's!!!:D No competition in my book, so u can kiss my ass pal:p

Status
Not open for further replies.