Gents! Need feedback about my motor, oil pressure, car in general

Esasky's85GN

RACE ME WITH WHAT?
Ok,

Maybe I am reading too many posts and starting to doubt myself so once and for all. I have been around cars all my life but for some reason, I am starting to feel stupid when it comes to this one. I want to ask you guys your thoughts.

When I 1st start my car, oil pressure is about 60 PSI. As the car warms up to op temp, the oil pressure goes down.... all the way to about 10 PSI @ idle. Mind you, I am running Brad Penn 20W-50 oil with a Professional Products aluminum oil filter w/50 micron screen.

The nice thing is... as soon as I hit the throttle, oil pressure goes up 10 PSI for every 1K rpms.

My motor has a desernible tap from passenger side. sounds like cylinders 4 and 6. it doesnt get any louder whether the car is cold or at op temp, of course just faster with engine RPMs. Car runs well and I have no hesitiation under normal driving or under boost. Should I be worried about what I am seeing here?

From some of my other posts, I do have some issues I am currently working through. Bad TB shaft seals, car having low BLMs (117-112) and running rich, the absence of my MAF screens... which I had no clue were missing, as well as the issue stated above.

Your opinions and feedback are always welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Chris

I would validate your pressure with another gauge before going further. Mine is about 24 at idle, full operating temp, stock 50k engine.

Put a long screwdriver on the valve cover and listen like a stethoscope with it on the pass and driver side. See if the tap is different from side to side. Ensure the tap is internal. Maybe an exhaust leak over there? Pull the plugs and see if there is a difference also.

Like John said get another gauge I had one go bad freaked me out thought I killed the motor put a new gauge in 80psi wot and 25psi hot idle again mine went down to 10 also and one more thing drain the oil and look for copper in the oil if your bearings are headed south you will see the tell tail glitter in the oil just from my own experience

That sounds fine and is pretty much what I got......cold start up I am 60 plus psi and it idles around 18-20 when it gets hot in traffic it will drop to 10 psi..... like yours pressure risses like it supposed I also run 20w-50 but in the Valvoline VR1

I would check everything like mentioned above and if all is good then dont sweat it.....8-10psi hot idle is fine especially if you have a high volume pump and cover and I have also cleaned up alot of oil passage ways in the block so 10 psi is not a worry at all

Oil pressure is okay.

Noises aren't.

Get a TurboTweak chip and good stock style MAF used, or a translator system the original one or GEN II and a LS1 MAF and Extender chip.

With 20w-50 that is pretty low idle pressure. Could be from poor oil pump assembly/clearences or just worn out. Oil pump set up takes a fair amount of time to do correctly. TA has a blueprinted timing cover that maybe your answer. Bearing clearances may be a bit loose, too. Verify pressure as stated earlier and go from there.

Ok, as John stated earlier, I actually used a wooden stick and listened for the noises. definitely internal. Sounds like rocker arm chatter to me. Car runs too well for it to be cam lobes. I know that the bottom end has around 80k on it. Possibly just clearances open up. I am going to verify with another gauge and also check oil for any metal shavings. May be time for a small rebuild over winter.

Pull that valve cover. Doesn't take long. See if the rocker shaft is ok. You can remove and re-install rather easily. Then you can check the rockers themselves.

John, will have to do that. Just sucks cause my car is still set up like a hot air. Have to pull up pipe to get valve cover off... sigh... the love turbo Buicks....