Garrett or Precision; pros and cons

Gentlemen, lively debate as always! I 'm sure you guys will hug it later, that's what friends do. It's all cool. I'm the same way with my friends. Unless of course they talk smack about my dog or my mother! So no need to put the gloves on! Anyway, as always I appreciate the advice. I like to ask the experts because I don't know shit about the technical stuff. Or for that matter the un-technical stuff, too.... I do have another question as well; why doesn't Precision have any compressor maps on their turbos? I meant to ask that in the original post.

Compressor maps cost a bunch to make and not all companies may have the ability to do it in house meaning the work would need to be outsourced. And they [pte] may not want The results to be known by others. At the end of the day The maps only serve purpose for bench racing chatter for most because as Bison has said now and before Most guys never come close to maxing There combos out any way. If you can decide what your goals are we can point you in the right direction. To me the service and support that you get after the sale is worth way more than any savings on the front end will ever be.

My recommendation is that the turbo is the very very last item you buy. There's lots to consider. Technology comes out often enough. I'm not saying new tech will actually make you go faster. But sometimes it will and it will solve the itch to upgrade for awhile. Get recommendations from your dealer and or someone that's been at least as fast as you want to go.

Pte maps have always been a mystery their probably buried on Oak Island.

I guess I have a dog in this fight... I do have a 6466 and I run it on c116 at 31 or 32psi... I was one of the first to buy it, Its from Hartline and they were big fans... I will say I am down on PTE, the 6466 never really impress me I thought it would be more real punch... I also added a small amount of spray to add at the big end. Maybe its me my car has been in the low tens and Dyno's at 644 and 688TQ. Just my opinion

I guess I have a dog in this fight... I do have a 6466 and I run it on c116 at 31 or 32psi... I was one of the first to buy it, Its from Hartline and they were big fans... I will say I am down on PTE, the 6466 never really impress me I thought it would be more real punch... I also added a small amount of spray to add at the big end. Maybe its me my car has been in the low tens and Dyno's at 644 and 688TQ. Just my opinion
Al, just curious you said Ta6466 in your sig do they make that version? does it have a inlet bell?

why doesn't Precision have any compressor maps on their turbos?
why not its an easy way to get guys to swap out turbos;)i will say this there are a lot of guys out there that buy turbos based off comp maps.i push my stuff so I like warranties and well built stuff so it lasts a little longer.

why not its an easy way to get guys to swap out turbos;)i will say this there are a lot of guys out there that buy turbos based off comp maps.i push my stuff so I like warranties and well built stuff so it lasts a little longer.
They most likely don't have the test equipment necessary to provide a compressor map and is way to costly for an aftermarket company to provide. If you notice only the OEM (Garret, Borg) only really have this capability and is why they will more than likely be on top of the technology curve.
AG.

Just for transparency a couple offending posts were hidden and a member received a vacation due to the nature of their posts in this thread.

If you notice only the OEM (Garret, Borg) only really have this capability and is why they will more than likely be on top of the technology curve.
Turbonetics has comp maps too.we have a pretty diverse crew up here and have seen good power from each company.

Greg, sorry my mistake on the 6466.... Turbo, sorry don't know your name, but If you don't mind what turbo do you use those are very impressive Dyno numbers?

Turbonetics has comp maps too.we have a pretty diverse crew up here and have seen good power from each company.
Yes they do but mostly on older product. They have switched owners quite a bit and unfortunately seem like there falling behind the curve. I used to really like there product and had great luck with it but they don't seem to be on top anymore with the latest and greatest wheel and housing designs.
AG.

I used to really like there product and had great luck with it but they don't seem to be on top anymore with the latest and greatest wheel and housing designs.
That's interesting, I felt the older stuff needed more comp size to make power compared to some other Competitors but he newer hpc billet stuff seems to make more power size for size.

I think it's about results. I don't think any other turbo has EVER won TSO or TSL besides Precision. I think Sully won a TSM race about 10 years ago with a Turbonetics. I haven't really followed THS or TAI closely enough to know what turbo is winning races.
I spoke with John N. about the new Borg Warner stuff. They have some cool features like internal blow off valve and wastegate solenoid. I have yet to test them.
I understand Bison is building stuff too, but I haven't tested anything of his either

I haven't really followed THS or TAI closely enough to know what turbo is winning races.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure a Precision unit has been on the winning car at the Bowling Green event the past several years.
2011 6768
2012 6768
2014 6766