G80 Posi Standard on all 1986-87 GN's??

LIGHTEMUP

Hi All;

I am trying to negotiate a deal on a 1986 GN a long way from home. Low miles, pictures look great. Over the phone, they read me all the options and codes from the dealer's window sticker and G80 limited Slip Diff was not on the list. Is it possible that this car did not come with G80. I thought all 1986-87 GN's came with G80 standard. If it is not a G80 car, should I pass on it?

HC

I thought I read posi was an option on all years and never mandatory......???

If the trunk sticker that has all the RPO codes matches the vin on the car and the vin plate has never been swapped, then will it tell you for sure if it's a posi car or not. Otherwise if the trunk lid was replaced and the original sticker not retained.....

If it's not a posi car I'd still pick it up as long as it's affordable. You can always add a posi. ;)

P.S. I hope you're not planning on buying this car sight unseen.

G80 wasn't std for 86 or for any regular production 87 ( except for the GNX) it wasnt until the extended production run ( sept 1987 to the close of the plant in dec 87) that it became std equipment on the GN (still option on the T) .
those cars should have been tagged as 88 models but having announced that 87 would be the last year which spurred orders which could not bemet during the std model year they decided to continue making the sept -dec regals as 87s , the monte ,cutlass and granprix built along side them were tagged as 88s

Thanks for the info, Yep, it is sight unseen. The pictures look good and they have receipts showing recent repaint and documentation since new. They are 1000 miles away so for the right price, I'll take a chance and fly in, if the car is a dog, I'll fly back home. The G80 thing bothers me though, I don't want to start messing with such a low mile (32K) car.

Hhhmmm....weren't the T's all done by Aug 87? I know the GN's continued until Dec 11 1987.

And weren't Cutlass and GP's FWD starting in the fall of '87? I am aware the MC's were still RWD for 1 more year.

At any rate if you're going out to see the car, that's cool. I just thought you meant you'd wire him the $$ and have him ship the car to you. Bad deal right there. You need to see the car in person and drive it too.

The G80 thing bothers me though, I don't want to start messing with such a low mile (32K) car.

I wouldn't worry about it. My GN had 17K on it when I bought it and I swapped in an Eaton posi shortly after. There is no downside. It's an "invisible" mod that the car should have had from the factory. I doubt that anyone would consider it a negative if you choose to sell the car later and it's nothing but a benefit for you as the owner. Besides, you can keep the original peg-leg so you have it just in case.

Last I checked the carrier was like $450 new, then the labor of a shop to set it up for you if you don't know how to do it, plan on $125 there, then maybe $125 for bearings if needed. But when all is said and done you can leave 2 black marks.

Also something to keep in mind the clutches eventually wear out overtime, so even a posi car can have a burned out posi. Best bet is to either jack it up and test or do the old "let's see how many marks it can leave" test.

I was involved in purchasing two new GNs in 87, and I can confirm the post by pace carta. I ordered my 87 in fall 86, and specifically had to check the posi option. My dad loved mine, and we ended getting another one in the fall of 87 with the extended production, and they only allowed 2 or 3 package grouping of options (pretty much loaded) which included the posi for him.

If the RPO code says G87 that is non-posi.

that is incorrect

G87 is the RPO for the 8.5 rear axle

on the turbo regals if it had posi it will have the G80 and G87
no posi it will have just the G87 code

Bought a new '86 GN in August 1986 and it was a standard non-posi peg leg. Purchased my '87 TR used in 2000. Have original window sticker on this car it too was a standard, non-posi peg leg. I had a new Eaton carrier put in and paid a mechanic to set it up including back lash. Your 3.42 ring/ pinion set gears from the non-posi are transferred over. All of these cars should have had posi rears from the factory! :cool: