Fuel Pump

Branden Chenoweth

i have an 86 GN with less then 12k original miles. this car has been in my family for 25+ years. as of late when starting up cold for the first time it would fire and kick up the high idle just fine. after that it would fall on its face, then pick back up. i took it in to a shop and was told the fuel pump was going out. i was told they do not make a fuel pump for that car anymore. the mechanic purchased and aftermarket pump and put it in. the car fired right up, then it died. he cannot get it to fire again. first he stated that the power was not sufficient to the pump, now he thinks it may be a bad pump. any suggestions? this car is my baby and the mechanic has had it 3 weeks...... i want my car back and fixed. it is kept inside at all times like it is stored at home but i hate not having my car.

thanks.

First, do lots of browsing here on the board for a week or month.

Second, find another shop or someone near you that has some turbo experience so you can at least get some real knowledge about these cars!

The info from the shop is not unusual for a 30 year old car built in limited numbers?

I'll add, some aftermarket mass produced parts that they claim fit are not the totally correct part. Since you say this is your baby you need to educate yourself about it, find some local TB gurus and get a Scanmaster.
You can start reading here. There is a section that deals with fuel pumps.
http://ihadav8.com/forum/VortexBuicks/

Best bet is to get the car to a experienced turbo buick mechanic. Not saying anything bad about your guy but these car are a different animal.

The pump and wiring supplying it were barely adequate when the car was new. After 30yrs, it isn't even close any more. Check out the wiring on the tank hanger. They get corroded and if not checked and good can cause problems.
Also the fuel pressure regulator and idle air control valve in the intake.
Could be a bad maf.
Lots to keep one of these old beasts running.
The above suggestions of hitting this site and steves site and doing some reading. A scan tool of some kind and a fuel pressure gauge are pretty much a requirement. As stated on Steve 's page, without data it is just guessing.

This "mechanic" sounds more like a parts changer to me. As above you really need to get with some of the locals who wrench on their cars and know the common probs and how to solve them.

Let us know how you do.

The pump and wiring supplying it were barely adequate when the car was new. After 30yrs, it isn't even close any more. Check out the wiring on the tank hanger. They get corroded and if not checked and good can cause problems.
Could be a bad maf.
The above suggestions of hitting this site and steves site and doing some reading. A scan tool of some kind and a fuel pressure gauge are pretty much a requirement. As stated on Steve 's page, without data it is just guessing.

This "mechanic" sounds more like a parts changer to me. As above you really need to get with some of the locals who wrench on their cars and know the common probs and how to solve them.

Let us know how you do.
Can
Could be a bad maf.

Let us know how you do.
HELP ME DECODE MY VIN PLEASED

Mr mazzi, we would be glad to help you out but you need to start your own thread . Not polite to swerve someone else's off topic.thanks

OP, where are you located?

There are a lot of knowledgeable folks spread about the country that can be of assistance.

i have an 86 GN with less then 12k original miles. this car has been in my family for 25+ years. as of late when starting up cold for the first time it would fire and kick up the high idle just fine. after that it would fall on its face, then pick back up. i took it in to a shop and was told the fuel pump was going out. i was told they do not make a fuel pump for that car anymore. the mechanic purchased and aftermarket pump and put it in. the car fired right up, then it died. he cannot get it to fire again. first he stated that the power was not sufficient to the pump, now he thinks it may be a bad pump. any suggestions? this car is my baby and the mechanic has had it 3 weeks...... i want my car back and fixed. it is kept inside at all times like it is stored at home but i hate not having my car.

thanks.

Take it to a competent mechanic.. The guy wrenching on it now doesn't need to be anywhere near your "baby".

If possible get it to a Experienced Turbo Buick guy.. He can diagnose this in short order and get your baby back to you in no time

thanks for all the replies. i am in oregon and i have been looking and calling people all over to find a competent mechanic. someone who knows these cars. this particular one checked out with references for high end muscle cars, but nobody around here knows anything about a grand national. i will check into the scan tool for sure and read up some more on this forum. i posted this last night in a depressed mode. the mechanic was stating that power seemed weak to the blog at the tank. as for the scan tool, does anybody recommend a certain brand or model? i want what everybody is using for these cars.

thanks again.

thanks for all the replies. i am in oregon and i have been looking and calling people all over to find a competent mechanic. someone who knows these cars. this particular one checked out with references for high end muscle cars, but nobody around here knows anything about a grand national. i will check into the scan tool for sure and read up some more on this forum. i posted this last night in a depressed mode. the mechanic was stating that power seemed weak to the blog at the tank. as for the scan tool, does anybody recommend a certain brand or model? i want what everybody is using for these cars.

thanks again.

Word of advice.. Before you spend a dime further.. Do yourself a huge favor.. Find a buick guy locally or even
Have guys on here help you .. If the car is a stock car.. You need just basic troubleshooting help and dont even need a scantool, unless you want to start adding power to it

Where in Oregon are you? I'm in Warren. I can help you out.

You see? This bunch of folks is pretty tight and is almost always willing to help others out in most cases.

Most times, all it takes is asking for help. Then you just pay it forward.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Hi Branden It's got to be cool to have a GN with 12K on the clock! Like everyone else said, read everything you can about our cars. At the minimum, you need a Scanmaster to tell you what is going on with things. You can mount it permanently, or just wire the power side into a cigarette lighter plug so you can remove it as needed. Get your fuel pump issue straightened out, and add a hotwire kit to it. As mentioned, our cars barely had enough juice getting to the fuel pump when they were new, now they're getting on 30 years old. I like having a fuel pressure gauge right next to my boost gauge, so I can make sure boost and fp are increasing at 1:1 ratio, but at minimum I would get a fuel pressure gauge that screws onto the fuel rail, which will at least tell you something. Check out ALL your vacuum lines, if when touching them your fingers come back black, replace them. There's a lot more after this I like to do to make it a reliable driver, but just depends on your goals. Cheers!

so the mechanic said once he cleaned the plug up he had better juice to the fuel pump. however the fuel pump is defective. he took it back out of the car yesterday and hot wired it in his shop. it came on then shut off and made a "funny" noise. he ordered a new one and with any luck i should have my car back tomorrow.

i do appreciate all the advice on the forum guys. so a little history that tell you where i am at. my dad bought the car bak in 1995 from the original owner with 4k mikes. since then we have put about 7k miles on it going to car shows and the occasional cruz. my goals with the car are to keep it 100% stock. i love speed and hot rods but with this car i don't want to modify it in any way. i am doing little things to it each year as requires. this year was going to be new tires as it has the factory rubber from 1986, still with 75% tread. i have had them inspected but i am sure they are rotting from the inside. so i want to try and have the same tires made if i can find out how. again, thanks for all the help, maybe i will post a pic or 2 when i get a chance.

IMG_0811.JPG