Fuel pump access hole?

Man, I didn't think this was such a touchy subject guys! I was just inquiring about it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I made an access hole for the fuel pump in my regal, not a big deal to me, it just makes sense. I have done fuel pumps both ways and it is much easier with the access hole. Take your keyes and open the trunk pull back the carpet lift the access cover unplug the fuel pump remove the retainer ring and disconnect the hoses all without getting under the car and getting dirty and you could do it anywhere without drawing attention from anyone like the police or fire dept. No one knows it's there unless i tell them, so my car looks like every other car. I will say thou in the 27 years of owning a turbo regal i have never had a fuel pump go bad on me, so it's there just in case or troubleshooting,fuel sock replacement,maintenance, etc. It's my car so i make it as easy as possible to work on since i'm not getting any younger.lol

I do know that if my fuel pump in the TTA needs replacing one of 2 things will happen, one of my friends will pull the rear end and exhaust to remove the tank, or there WILL be a hatch for access! ;)

Pulling the tank on 3rd gens is no fun. It's OK when there isn't any rust, but a touch of rust on the bolts and the fun's over. Lot's of folks do the hatch on those cars. The #1 issue is that the fuel lines need to be cut then re-connected. That's where the biggest fail often occurs.

GasTank_Tank.JPG

RemoveBeforeFlight

Where to place the hatch:

GasTank_FuelPumpDoor.jpg

Note that this is on a '82 - '92 Camaro/Firebird, which the TTA is.

RemoveBeforeFlight