Fuel pump access hole?

JUSTA3.8V6

Has anyone ever cut an access hole to make fuel pump changes quick and painless? If yes where in the trunk did you cut?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Have you done a fuel pump in your car yet, because a fuel pump is really easy. Two bolts, 1 plug and 3 lines

I haven't done one. The previous owner did. Has a walbro 340 it now. Didn't know it was that easy.

Super easy 1 hour max on you back

Don't cut.. way too easy to drop tank, a low pro transmission jack also comes in handy...Mike

While the tank was down cleaned the outside of the tank. A great look after it was reinstalled.

Yes, I did it. Tank was down once before not long ago. Trunk area isn't pristine as other work has been done. Just didn't see the need to drop the tank again, and it was full (Ultra 93, $$$).

Here is where I cut an access panel, between the four holes, see the lines:

GN_FuelPump_11.JPG

The drawn circle is the basic location of the pickup assembly. Be careful if you do this. The fuel lines aren't too far below the trunk floor.

The newspaper is to catch the grindings.

I used an old Buick trunk lid for metal to create the hatch. Also used a piece of it between the trunk floor and tank/lines when I did a cleanup (grinding) of the cut.

Speed nuts and short machine screws to retain the panel. Sealed with body putty and a piece of plastic over it to prevent the trunk carpet from sticking to it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Don't hack up your car. Fuel pump is an easy job. Take pride in your car and your work and try to enjoy wrenching on it. Although sometimes it can be difficult lol.

Come on guys, let's tell it like it is, you have to be stupid or lazy, or both, to cut a hole in the trunk floor of a GN
when you can R&R a pump in less than an hour? :(

An hour? More like 15 minutes. After helping friends change pumps on camaros and realizing how easy ours are I would drop the tank from everyone's tb and change the pump be for I even think about changing one in an f body

Access panels are to access what can not be gotten to an other way. They are installed to make access to what can other wise not be gained. Make readily and available, make repairs and replace. How often are you going to replace the pump. I used to run pump gas in the old days during the week. On weekends I switched to cam 2. I hooked up a hose to the fuel rail jumped the alternator to the gray female and pump out the 93. Please don't cut your car.

Somehow I just knew posting that picture would raise some hackles. :cool:

But as I said, the car/trunk isn't pristine, not even close. Left rear quarter panel has been replaced, frame is notched and the wheel wells widened (into the trunk!) There was a hole in the trunk floor from something being welded to it then removed (patched that when the tank was down).

Several other holes in the trunk due to audio equipment that had been installed (for wires and mounting screws), and now removed.

And, unless the trunk carpet is pulled back the access can't be seen.

Trust me, if the trunk was in good condition I wouldn't have done the access panel. But since it fit right in... :D

RemoveBeforeFlight

BEN 1.JPG
Somehow I just knew posting that picture would raise some hackles. :cool:......................................t

There can always be an exception with some cars and I have a rusty GN here from the East that also needs a quarter panel replaced and it would also be a candidate for the trunk pump hatch, :)

I do know that if my fuel pump in the TTA needs replacing one of 2 things will happen, one of my friends will pull the rear end and exhaust to remove the tank, or there WILL be a hatch for access! ;)

Last edited:
You should cut a hole in the fender to get to your fuse panel so you don't have to crawl under the dash.

Fuel cell with aeromotive A1000 in line :)

You should cut a hole in the fender to get to your fuse panel so you don't have to crawl under the dash.

Or a hole in the hood for filling the alky lol. Lately I open the hood for that reason more than anything else.

Or a hole in the floor so you can drop your WEED when the cops get after you!!:confused: