Fuel Filter ??

not-rdy

I have 1987 Regal LTD T that does not seem to have a fuel filter. Under WOT the fuel pressure wasn't rising far enough so it was leaning out bad. We dropped the tank to put a 255lph pump in and it already had one in it. It did not have a fuel sock and it had some debri in the pump screen. We dumped the gas out trying to get as much little pieces of dirt out of tank and installed new pump with the sock on it. When we went to find the fuel filter we cannot find one. The fuel lines are metal with no connectors from the 3 lines off the tank all the way to the front. Is this factory or did someone tank fuel filter out and create new lines. Anyone ever see this before??

Thanks,
Ken

There are 2 sets of 3 hoses, 1 over the tank and 1 above and in front of it. There is a fuel filter inside the DS frame rail, adjacent to the rear of the door.

Wonder if your injectors are toast now?

strike

It seemed to run stronger in 2nd on the way home but I did not really romp it because I didn't have the computer on it. I am hoping the injectors are ok.

The lines from where they come from the tank and connect to the 3 rubber hoses and then come out metal go from there all the way to the front of the engine with no breaks or connectors. It is weird because there is no place to even fit a filter they are complete lines all the way. I don't know why anyone would have changed it that way and they look factory.

The hotwire job was done by cutting some of the factory wires so we put the hotwire kit on it but we had to do some improvising so we are not sure it was originally done correctly. We believe we have it done correctly.

Thanks,
Ken

Well, if it has only 1 set of hoses and no fuel filter I promise you it ain't factory. Hotwire-wise, I have Caspers' kits on my cars - plug-and-play - no wires to cut, so I'm not sure what the previous owner(s) did to you, what you bought or DIY'd, or how it installs...

strike

You are saying that there is no fuel filter on the frame rail on the drivers side? Are you referring to the three hoses on the passenger side of the car?

Its at driver side rear almost in front of lower control arm mount.If you have no filter I would pull injectors and replace screens on inlet of injectors i would have to find part number but napa sells them. All the places that clean injectors by boxes of a 1000. car has to have gas filter. If not make sure you check your brakes and suspension components.Because if they took the filter off they were not to smart. make sure you put a gas filter on it if there is none

I think I must be missing something, the filter is on the drivers side frame rail. I didn't see the line go that way. I followed the lines up the passenger side. Well that makes me feel better unfortunately the car is backed in next to the wall so I can't go check it now. Thanks I don't know how i missed it but now that you say that there are only 2 lines going up the passenger side.

On the hotwire I did have the Caspers setup but someone had put a DIY setup on and so they had cut some of the wires already.

Thanks,
Ken

Don't worry

You are not the only one. I wasted 15 minutes following those passenger side lines from tank to underhood. Then i came on this wonderful forum and found the filter in 20 seconds. lol.:biggrin:

You are not the only one. I wasted 15 minutes following those passenger side lines from tank to underhood. Then i came on this wonderful forum and found the filter in 20 seconds. lol.:biggrin:

That's what it is all about. There are so many aspects to these cars that most of us would be lost without the help of other owners.

Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry it took so long to post back. My internet connection has been down.

Thanks Again,
Ken