Fry the ECM?

dthrock

While doing some test and tune on friday I think I fried the ecm. I was recording the runs with DS and then reburning the chip to get my fuel curve fixed up. I think I forgot to unplug the orange wire by the battery one time between pulling the chip out and reinstalling it. After that, no matter what chip I put in it it wouldnt work. Luckily I had another ECM sitting at home in the garage. Once I swapped them it worked fine. Anyone ever run into this? It seems like I read somewhere that you didnt really have to unplug it each time, guess this proves that wrong.

Also, is there a way to put a switch in the car so you can just flip it and remove power from the ecm without having to get in and out of the car each time? I have it set up so I can erase and reburn chips in the front seat on the laptop, so getting in an out to unplug and plug the wire is a pain.

Dave

No, you really don't have to unplug the orange wire when doing chip changes. What kills things is when chip changes are made with the ignition key left on (BAD). I've been changing chips in mine for over 15 years with no ill effects.
You have to remember, there is more than one source of 12vdc power to the ECM. That orange wire is only one, and is primarilly the "memory keep alive" voltage.

I think you were just the a victim of cirumstance. Random ECM failure. Taking chips in and out with the orange wire hooked up definately wont cause such a failure. Just happen to occur along with your ECM failure.

Originally posted by TurboDave
. What kills things is when chip changes are made with the ignition key left on (BAD).

Hmm you may have something there, I honestly cant remember if I left the key on or not so its very possible thats where I screwed up. Ill not do it again, thats for sure.

Dave