Front lower control arm bushings question

terryk

I've replaced lots of control arm bushings in the FWD cars and Fiero's but I'm getting ready to install new rubber ifront lower control arm bushings in my 86 TT (along with Eibachs and ball joints). The upper fronts are already done.

In looking at the service manual, it's about the shortest section in there (the G body is shown as an exception). It implies the bushings are the standard press-fit type but the tool looks different than the FWD bushing tools.

Are the front lower control arm bushings install any different? I looked at them on the car and nothing appears to be that different. They appear to slide in one side and are pinched on the inside.

I usually use the pipe/threaded rod method to remove them (press from one side and dent in the shell until they pop out of one side) and install in the reverse (press on the lip). Those that have done FWD's will understand this.

Are the lowers essentially the same? I had to get the lower ball joints pressed in so I can always have them do the bushings at the same time, but I'd like to do them myself if possible.

Finally, not to be a jerk (apparently you can't post if your name is Richard), but please no poly replies. I've driven plenty of cars with poly and I won't use it. The one time I installed poly I took them out a couple of days later. I will replace rubber until the cows come home. Ok, I lied. It works great in Fiero cradles. Maybe the spring isolators?

Terry

They're pretty easy to change,, easy as pressing bushing in/out usually is. I ended up using a rather large benchvise(even though I have a shop press too) and a short piece of @2" pipe. .

As far as Poly bushing go, that's what I used, and that's what I would use again. why? Because they deflect less than rubber, which keeps the lower CA properly located better and more stable,, especially on bumpy roads(which are everywhere in Pa.)

Thanks for the reply! Ok, it looks like it's normal stuff. I have a collection of different length and diameter pipes I used to fake the press in and out tool.

Terry

Oh,,, you ever going to change that stock dome light? A black-light bulb in there looks pretty cool, and helps the car ride better.:eek: