Front and rear Springs

78 Olds

I have installed the front performance springs from Global West in my 78 Cutlass. (S-16 their code)

While these springs work well and the car has improved handling, the springs, if anything, raised the front of the car. They were to lower it about 1". I don't blame Global, as my old spring was apparently at the end of it's life. But never the less, I want to get the car to handle even better by lowering the center of gravity.

Is there a better choice in springs, to provide a good handling package, and yet lower the car an inch or slightly more?

You might check with Global first, but....

....usually, you can cut up to a coil off with no adverse reaction. Depending on the lb rating of the springs you've got, 1/2 a coil should get you close. Global could probably better tell you what to expect. For the rears, Moog Cargo Coils have worked well for me in the past, they dropped the rear about 3/4", and they are progresively wound, the more weight you put on them, the stiffer they get, and they should be around $60 for the set. :cool:

Thanks for your help.

I have KYB shocks with this combo. Have you found these satisfactory, or would I be a lot better off with Bilsteins, QA-1, or?

Thanks again.

I always ran Monro's best gas shocks

I'm a cheapo. :D Bilstein seems to be accepted as the best, followed by KYB. So it seems you have second best at half the price of the best. Not a bad place to be unless money is no object. :cool:

78 OLDS,
I just replaced the front springs on my SS w/Eibachs. With the original springs (measured at the "highest" point of the wheel opening) it was at 27 13/16", after is 27". In the rear (measured at the center of the wheel cap) it was 28 1/16", after is 27 7/8". The original springs were still good. This should give you a reference as to whether the springs "lowered" it or not.
Larry.

Thanks Larry. This does help. I am at the 27" that you mentioned, which tells me that my original springs were sagging.

What size tire are you using to fill the wheel wells at this height?
I am still thinking that the car should be about one more inch lower in front to help the handling, and the appearance.

I am using a 245/50/16 tire on 8" torque thrust "D" wheel.

Right now I have my "winter" (215/65R15) tires on. They're 26" tall. The ones you have are 25.7" tall. Be careful about going lower, it won't necessarily improve handling. Much lower than what you have will start changing the geometry of the front end. I've done a couple of minor things to mine for better handling, if you're interested let me know. I also have some other things on the "to do list" which will help a lot too.
Larry.

Right now I have my "winter" (215/65R15) tires on. They're 26" tall. The ones you have are 25.7" tall. I wanted to do all my experimenting with stock tires, summer ones are 235/60R15's.
Be careful about going lower, it won't necessarily improve handling. Much lower than what you have will start changing the geometry of the front end. I've done a couple of minor things to mine for better handling, if you're interested let me know. I also have some other things on the "to do list" which will help a lot too.
Larry.

Any help is welcome.

So far I have put a Trans Am WS-6 steering box in place, front and rear sway bars, 1 1/16 front, 3/4" rear, with poly front bushings, Global's trailing Arms, and their front springs.

The car originally came with the Corp. engine (305 Chevy) Now has 350 with a cam, heads, headers, ignition, RPM intake, NOS.
700 R4 trans, and 4:11 posi rear.

It's been a fun project, and a great driver.

Thanks again for your help.