Frankenmotor autopsy

Saw the carnage when I saw Lou today. You really know how to blow it up! :)

Tim,

Any specs on the crank? STD/STD, 10/10, 20/20 or ? Looks like it has rolled fillets any idea how many miles were on the motor / crank?

Neal

Tim,

Any specs on the crank? STD/STD, 10/10, 20/20 or ? Looks like it has rolled fillets any idea how many miles were on the motor / crank?

Neal
The crank was standard, the bearings were perfect, the engine had at least 40K miles on it since rebuild, The crank broke as well as no 3# main cap. It could of broken the cap first but difficult to know. It also damaged num. 5 & 6 piston skirts. What shortens the life of a stock non reinforced bottom end were the ported heads, roller cam & BB larger turbo, those items enabled the engine to create enough power to stress components & cause a failure. Once 500 H.P. is reached its only a matter of time before KABOOM !

The crank was standard, the bearings were perfect, the engine had at least 40K miles on it since rebuild, The crank broke as well as no 3# main cap. It could of broken the cap first but difficult to know. It also damaged num. 5 & 6 piston skirts. What shortens the life of a stock non reinforced bottom end were the ported heads, roller cam & BB larger turbo, those items enabled the engine to create enough power to stress components & cause a failure. Once 500 H.P. is reached its only a matter of time before KABOOM !

You can only beat on things so hard for so long before they give up. I think Tim got his money's worth out of that motor. I did notice the broken main cap. I suspect it broke after the fact unless Tim had been experiencing unusual oil pressure problem prior to the failure. We'll probably never know. Was the crank nitrided?

Neal

You can only beat on things so hard for so long before they give up. I think Tim got his money's worth out of that motor. I did notice the broken main cap. I suspect it broke after the fact unless Tim had been experiencing unusual oil pressure problem prior to the failure. We'll probably never know. Was the crank nitrided?

Neal

Oil pressure was good. I look at that gauge and my water temp constantly while driving...
All the bearings and rings were in real god shape still....I just wore my crank out....it happens....:rolleyes:

I, don't nitride virgin cranks, Only when they are turned & the hardness is removed have I had a problem with bearing life. The broken crank was a result of many of thousands of mile of abuse. The head were shot also, springs were dead , seats pounded, loose valve guides & worn valve stems. Chicken very graciously is letting me have them. Bless his generous heart !

Well he's the one that broke his "crank" Lou, and I'm not a kalifonication guy so I prefer the ladies.:p
Could of fooled me cause it sounded like you were coming on to the chicken & wanted to pluck him.