Filter change, added Type F and now.....please help

6SENSE

Just changed tranny filter/screen and gasket plus put in a new tcc solenoid while I was in there, yesterday. I added type F fluid per the "spring cleaning guide" instructions at gnttype.org (came out to about 4.5 qts). Okay..... why are my shifts softer now!?:mad: Before this my shifts were nice and firm in every gear. Now I feel them when cruising but they are much softer. When I go WOT I dont even feel the shifts anymore, feels like it wants to slip. Its not fun to drive anymore :(
Tranny is a BRF with superior shift kit that I installed myself a few years ago.
Any thoughts? Should I drain the pan and put dexron back in?

P.S. Ive been told that I didnt add enough fluid (gnttype said 4-5 qts), but Im checking fluid in park, engine warm/idleing, on level ground. Keeps registering in the full range on the dipstick. Also, dont know if this means anything but I drained fluid when cold. I noticed in a Chilton book the recomendation to drain when fluid was warm :confused:

some filters can leak air at the from seam.

Sometimes the old seal / o-ring stays in the trans, and the new filter won't seal right.

Try over-filling the trans by at least half a quart.

Worst case change the filter again, re-crimp or epoxy the front seal of the new filter.

Or use a deep pan and a 700 filter or something like that.

The real way to diagnose this kind of thing is with a pressure gauge, but most guys won't go that far (not even a lot of 'ordinary' trans shops....)

Bob

Originally posted by TurboBob
some filters can leak air at the from seam.

Sometimes the old seal / o-ring stays in the trans, and the new filter won't seal right.

Try over-filling the trans by at least half a quart.

Worst case change the filter again, re-crimp or epoxy the front seal of the new filter.

Or use a deep pan and a 700 filter or something like that.

The real way to diagnose this kind of thing is with a pressure gauge, but most guys won't go that far (not even a lot of 'ordinary' trans shops....)

Bob
I had a heck of a time getting the old seal out of the tranny but I did get it out. The new one didnt want to push all the way up to the stop very easily but I took what I think was a 5/8 socket and tapped it up in place. I believe the last filter kit I used was whatever Advanced sold. Seemed like a "el cheapo" for 9.99, but I guess it worked. This time around I tried to get the fram part # shown on the "spring cleaning guide" but couldnt find it so I crossreferenced the # at Auto Zone and they had a kit for about $13 so I got it. Dont know why when looking up a tranny filter at Auto Zone for a '87 none is offered:confused: But when I crossreffed the Fram # one comes up that they stock. Maybe the problem has something to do with that:confused: Dont know, weird.

Okay, I just looked up a '84 TR on Auto Zone's site and the tranny filter offered is a part # TF400 which is the one that I got when crossereferencing the fram # from Ken Mosher's info at gnttype.org . I looked up a '87 TR (which is what my tranny is from) and they say the filter kit is not yet available:confused: . Interesting.......unless their system is just screwed up. What is the difference? Pretty sure that they used the same filter.
Hmm, let me open another window and do the same check at Advanced site since they offer the filter for '87................ yep, same part # for both years there: #ATC FK140. Oh well, back to square one. Maybe I should just grab the filter from Advanced and give it another shot? From what Im hearing in my other thread in the General section the type F is not the culprit and everyone else has had good results with it sooo.....dont know :confused:

Used a socket to tap new one in place!!!

There may be your problem!!! Put o-ring on filter then lube with trans fluid and install as one piece

Re: Used a socket to tap new one in place!!!

Originally posted by Lee Thompson
There may be your problem!!! Put o-ring on filter then lube with trans fluid and install as one piece

YEP!! What Lee said!:D
ALSO!! Be sure you put the little "spring thingie" above the filter, not try to hook it below. The spring keeps the filter down in place, near the bottom of the pan.
IMO, your soft shifts are due to air in the system.. Prove it?? Do as Bob said, and get a gauge on it before you fry it...:eek:

Okay guys thanks for replies. The orange oring/seal thingee is hard, lined with metal inside and wouldnt push all the way up with the filter. Wish it was just a o-ring Lee. Kind of caused me to put a bit more force on the pan when I was attempting to reinstall it at first. I didnt like how it was so I remembered the prior filter/seal was pushed up further in the bore to the lip where it gets smaller in there so thats where I tapped it up to. Then I pushed the filter all the way in. The pan went on a bit easier after that since the filter wasnt hanging down as much.
Chuck, if your talking about the spring thingee on the bottom of the Vbody, yeah its in place doing its job.
I guess the best course of action would be to pour a little more fluid in there and drive to the parts store. If shifts dont improve Ill buy the filter kit from Advanced and give it a try. I Know Im not going to get the filter seal out of the bore in one piece, its in there TIGHT. It was hell getting the old one out, so I already know I will need a new one. I guess I will get more type F......or should I be scared back to Dexron after all this?

Make sure you didn't score the sealing surface up in there with whatever tool you used to pull the old seal out.......

I am using the DRW method for filter + pan.

700R4 filter, Art Carr deep aluminum pan with the 'bumps' cut down, trans overfilled a little.

Bob

Hey guys, I added 1/2 a qt with what I had left over. Then after getting some more ATF I added 1 more qt which would be a total of 6qts added after filter change. Their is a noticeable improvement. Not sure if its quite the same as before but its pretty good. Fluid level now on the dipstick is past the words "FULL HOT"! It is actually 1/2 way through the [dont know exactly what to call it] oval shaped curve thingee:rolleyes: that comes after the words. Before the change I know I didnt use to have my fluid this high. Before it fell within the crosshatch-full marks. Do you guys over fill this much? Maybe I should just go ahead and do the filter again? Perhaps something is wrong with the one I put on.

Almost seems a necessity to get the Art Carr deep pan and 700r filter..........how much and where to get it from?