Car will not shift out of 1st after filter change

Alaskabuick

Stock 87 Turbo T Tranny with 70k miles. Changed Filter and Fluid, Also added 1.2 gram screw to the small weight on governor to bring my shifts down a bit.

On short test drive it did not shift into 2 and almost felt like a tranny starving or low on fluid, rev up and not engage. Maybe sucking air? not sure. Dropping the fluid again tonight.

I am suspecting it is more to do with the filter. It did not feel like it went up very snug when I pushed it in the hole.
Yes I did make sure the old o-ring was out their. I gave it a couple smacks to get it up in their tight, maybe I went to far? not sure.

Just thought I might ask for some tips on that filter and common mistakes made. Im a 1st timer at this particular task.

I will look at the governor again as well to make sure the little balls are in proper place.

Thanks

Dennis

did you get the seal out from the old filter before you put the new seal and filter in. This can result in the "sucking air". Was the transfer tube in the valve body seated properly?

When you fooled with the governor did you make sure both check balls were in place? Was the seal on the governor shaft in good condition? if you took spring(s) out are you sure you put them back where they came out?

did you get the seal out from the old filter before you put the new seal and filter in. This can result in the "sucking air". Was the transfer tube in the valve body seated properly?

When you fooled with the governor did you make sure both check balls were in place? Was the seal on the governor shaft in good condition? if you took spring(s) out are you sure you put them back where they came out?

very good points,

Ok have the pan off again and yes I did indeed pull old seal o-ring looking deal out of the hole. However I do not trust the new one as It does not feel like it is a solid seal. Have seen on line where folk add an additional o-ring to help seal the tube, any advice on this?
I do have O-rings to help this issue out and planning on adding one below he supplied o-ring looking thing.

Next, I did find when pulling governor that the one of the balls looked like it was wedged off to the side an not moving freely. I still scratch my head on how this system operates as good as it does.. seems like alot of room for error with this little balls.

I did not touch the spring on this governor.

Thanks a bunch for the advice!

I do not know about the seal in governor shaft?? what should I look for?

Thanks!

Many ditch the crummy seal that comes with a filter and go with two o-rings.
The governer seal is a ring on one end of the governor shaft. It is in a grove on the governor shaft. The balls must be free. If the weights can't move and the balls don't unseat and seat when the weights are extended by centrificul force it will never shift as the sealing of the balls sends fluid to the shift valves.
If you disassemble, I use trans gel to hold the balls in their seats when reassembling the weights and putting the pivot shaft in. It takes patience.
If you do disassemble wrap a rag around there as the c-ring that holds the plastic gear on has a tendency to 'take flight' and it is hard to find when it flies off. The rag prevents this .
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app