FAST XFI....do I need it and is it worth it??

Longball, I never said I needed it, I wanted it and enjoy tuning. Next summer when it's quicker it will be because of my tune, not somebody else's.

I love mine, installed alky a couple of months ago and tuned it with my FAST XFI by myself. If you can read this you'll see target AFR 10.75 and actual AFR of 10.75 at 289 KPa. Personally, I couldn't have done this with a chip I've tried to tune with chips and I'm not good at it. FAST XFI is easier for me.

Damn...spot on

I would rather have the XFI covering my azz than a chip. If things went south with the tune I think your chances are much better to avoid major failure.

One of the deciding factors for me was the fail safes that the FAST system provides. I believe if there is a problem, injectors go to 100% and timing is pulled. Friend of mine put one on his 10sec WE4 and during initial testing at the track he blew a wastegate hose and went to 30psi+. FAST paid for itself on the first outing. The software isn't that hard to understand if you take the time to go through, make some logs, and experiment on your own. Worst case you reload your known good base tune and try again.

I doubt the fast xfi would save you if your alky pump failed or you had some type of issue with alky wiring.

If the car has Alky wiring or pump issues it would not be the XFI fault, but if that would happen the XFI would be your best bet over any old school ECM or chip on saving your motor.

Dan aka grumpy ive always looked up to you an this board since I bought a bone stock 87GN non posi slipping trans. with the help of this board its been in the 10's stock long block. Dan id love to see how fast that lil mazda would go on a dead nuz perfect tune

If my alky pump fails my XFI is going to throw fuel into the tune.;) I have a chance at survival for sure. Some chips will also. I don't have that uneasy feeling like I did on the chip. I run high boost and have begun to add even more. Will be trying over 30psi in the near future.:eek:

I ran 30 on erics chip an a scan master .. when I get my efi hooked up im lookin for 32-5

Damn...spot on
those logs you have dont show what you need to know to be safe and stay safe
they show that you maintained the AF but not what they did to get there,or if the XFI was covering up a fueling issue
your logs should include injector duty , O2 correction , battery and spark as well as inlet temp if running alky , its the only way you will know if your fueling is adequate or if things change that should be fixed before they bite you in the ass
and with your build and the $$ in it you should be logging fuel pressure and oil as well

those logs you have dont show what you need to know to be safe and stay safe.....

I hadn't bothered to look at them until I saw your response. I'm trying to view it from my phone, but it looks like the tps isn't calibrated correctly. The rpm climbs without the throttle opening. Also could use a little more ae vs tps and probably needs the ae map limit raised slightly. I don't want to be over critical, since most of the essential data is missing.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for the tips. The only reason for pic was to let the OP know he could do it. You're correct not to be too critical of this photo. The limited info was for ease of viewing.

This is also a work in progress, I'm teaching myself.

One more thing, if he can afford it and Cal is willing I think he should have you do it.

[quote="OhioC5, "Thanks for the tips. This is also a work in progress, I'm teaching myself."[/quote]

Perhaps time to go back to Pro Car Associates in Akron, Ohio for more tuning lessons? :oops:

[quote="HighPSI, I'm curious. How many of those who think it is too complicated are speaking from experience and actually had an xfi system on their car? Not, know a guy, who was a friend of my cousin,....

I'll be the first to say "I wish to God I never bought that freakin' FAST XFI". I was smooth talked in to buying it (yes, that is my fault, I fell for the smooth talk) about how wonderful it is and how easy it is to use. I bought it from a East Coast vendor (not Cal) who apparently knows nothing about it. Every time I called him for help - the car ran worse! I printed off everything from FAST site and many things from here.
I never figured out how to get the car running good. Not sure if it is because the instructions aren't that good (they're not) or if is because I had zero tuning expierence. As far as calling FAST for help? You would get better answers from your neighbor's dog. And a better attitude too! I just wanted to sell the car sooo bad but it wasn't running hardly and I'd never get my money back.

I just wanted to get a 60's muscle car and be done with that FAST sh-t! Back in the 60's-70's I could reasonably tune the cars(have not tuned anything since then). If I have a problem tuning one, I could throw a stick off my back porch and hit a 100 people that know how to tune one. FAST XFI - I don't know of one single person who has it within 100 miles of my house - let alone on a turbo buick. I'm sure there is one - but I'm not aware of him. Luckily Otto has been tuning it. What if Otto stops tuning it? I'd like this FAST off my car quicker than a cat can lick his azzhole!!! There has got to been something simpler with good vendor
support out there. It's a street car, for me FAST is overkill for a street car. OK, flame away, it's my story and I'm sticking to it.[/QUOTE]
Who was the EAST coast vendor that you wish you hadn't bought from? I'm looking to buy XFI through Bill Anderson of Anderson Performance. It wasn't him was it!?