FAST XFI....do I need it and is it worth it??

I don't want this thread to turn into an advertisement for us.

Pricing is here: http://www.hartlineperformance.com/fast.html

We have a Veteran's Day Special that lasts all this week for $1900 on our XFI package. The special gets you a free internal logger ($150 value). Included in the package is XFI, adaptor harness, WBO2 with cable, communication cable, O2 weld bung for your downpipe, 3 bar MAP sensor, and most importantly, a custom start-up tune and free tech support (we charge $250 to support systems purchased elsewhere). This is EVERYTHING you would need to run an XFI on your car (except laptop). About the only other option to consider is a long lead adaptor harness ($35 more). If you don't go with that, Shane has a real nice mount for the XFI in the stock location.

Hey your a vendor here why not !!! :cool:
Gotta throw another 2 cents in here now. Up here for years I have watched guys try an figure out how to use a Fast system/XFI .. Never had many that were able to go down the track smooth.. Burping an farting the whole way down. Friends would always ask us when we were goin to get rid of our chips. Ya they were ball busters but hell it was bad watching them go down the track.
Key to this move is to get someone who will actually support ya. Thats where Cal comes in . Support after he sells you a system !! That my friends sums it up !!

I've been running chips for a long time. Ran 10.40's (C16) on a max effort for years. Now im running Turbotweak with 93/alky. Tune with a wide band/knock gauge. Other than wide band I don't have much tuning. Car won't MPH. Only 98 1/8 and 121 ish in the 1/4. I need to know where the weak spot is and I can't with what I currently have. That's why im considering going to XFI.

Pricing is here: http://www.hartlineperformance.com/fast.html

I have an XFI from Hartline and it was one of the best moves I made. Once I started selling all the stuff I did not need after the XFI was installed I realized that it was not that much more and I should have acquired the XFI years ago. With Cal's customer support, Hartline Performance is the only place to purchase it.

I just know a couple people that have them but rely on others to tune.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Great experience with the XFI purchased from Hartline. I bought my car this past spring. I have been out of the Turbo Buick scene for over ten years so I really had no idea about these translators, WB02's, powerlogger and adjustable chips which is what was on the car when I got it. I had no idea about an XFI either but I figured it would be easier to learn the XFI than learn about all this other stuff. I purchased it from Hartline along with injectors and some other things to convert to E85. Cal sent it out with a tune and I installed it under an hour. It took more time to remove the other tuning things than to install the XFI. He walked me through the start up on the phone and taught me about the basics. I've been playing with and making adjustments. It also has the Self Learning mode which makes its own adjustments. I'm very happy with it.

Get it, you wont regret it.

Cal,
Are you aware of anyone that makes a plug and play for a C4 Corvette? If so, my brother will purchase a XFI from you this week also. Any Veterans day specials on the Fuel & Oil Logging kit?

[quote="HighPSI, I'm curious. How many of those who think it is too complicated are speaking from experience and actually had an xfi system on their car? Not, know a guy, who was a friend of my cousin,....[/quote]

I'll be the first to say "I wish to God I never bought that freakin' FAST XFI". I was smooth talked in to buying it (yes, that is my fault, I fell for the smooth talk) about how wonderful it is and how easy it is to use. I bought it from a East Coast vendor (not Cal) who apparently knows nothing about it. Every time I called him for help - the car ran worse! I printed off everything from FAST site and many things from here.
I never figured out how to get the car running good. Not sure if it is because the instructions aren't that good (they're not) or if is because I had zero tuning expierence. As far as calling FAST for help? You would get better answers from your neighbor's dog. And a better attitude too! I just wanted to sell the car sooo bad but it wasn't running hardly and I'd never get my money back.

I just wanted to get a 60's muscle car and be done with that FAST sh-t! Back in the 60's-70's I could reasonably tune the cars(have not tuned anything since then). If I have a problem tuning one, I could throw a stick off my back porch and hit a 100 people that know how to tune one. FAST XFI - I don't know of one single person who has it within 100 miles of my house - let alone on a turbo buick. I'm sure there is one - but I'm not aware of him. Luckily Otto has been tuning it. What if Otto stops tuning it? I'd like this FAST off my car quicker than a cat can lick his azzhole!!! There has got to been something simpler with good vendor
support out there. It's a street car, for me FAST is overkill for a street car. OK, flame away, it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No flames here. I'm sorry you were unable to get the support you needed. If Otto is unable to teach you, than it probably is too complicated. I can almost guarantee, you can find somebody with a chip/powerlogger/wbo2/etc...that would be willing to work a deal with you.

I will agree the xfi is not as hard as people think but still not for the novice.

I would trade all my stock stuff and even do the swap.;)

Rick

I still have my old powerlogger, translator, chip, WBo2, MAF...id be happy to trade for a XFI 2.0 if longballs or anyone else is interested in getting the XFI off of their car.

Well, I am a novice with this type tuning. It's not so much that Otto is unable to teach me - he hasn't any time to teach me. I see him maybe 3 times a year and we're usually too busy and don't have enough time for that.
And we live 150 miles apart. Now I figure that if I can learn physics, chemistry, and calculus, then I can most likely learn this if someone would take the time to teach me. Like I mentioned - don't know anyone in my area
using FAST. Maybe I'll meet someone at the track next year.

Longball..if your car still isn't running how you want it. You might want to consider on purchasing a tune from Cal Hartline. Save the file and always have it as a good baseline in case you get to far on experimenting on your own, you can always have a good file to re-upload. He you might see the awesome capability a of the XFI and have a change of hart. If not as you can see you will have plenty of people who will trade with you the old style system. There is a reason people from stock to all out racing use the XFI and love it especially if you have a person like Cal set your tune, its his tune/support is worth every penny.

[quote="FASTV6HENRY, Longball..if your car still isn't running how you want it. You might want to consider on purchasing a tune from Cal Hartline. love it especially if you have a person like Cal set your tune, its his tune/support is worth every penny.[/quote]

That's an interesting idea. I have bought many things from Cal in the past and will continue to do so. I hear from everywhere that his support is just awesome! If only Cal had been the East Coast vendor I had bought the FAST from.

Yeah brother, there is a reason you purchased this car and that's because it's BADASS. I really think once you get this car running right you fall in love with it again. You have everything you need already. In my opinion there is no need to go backwards in technology. Give Cal a call, he isn't the go to guy for XFI for nothing. Eitherway I hope everything works out buddy.

Man what a response. Thanks to everyone for your comments. I enjoyed reading all of them. I must say I don't know if I feel any more confident in a decision however that's the fun of having these cars is to contemplate all the great options to improve them and make them faster.

I love mine, installed alky a couple of months ago and tuned it with my FAST XFI by myself. If you can read this you'll see target AFR 10.75 and actual AFR of 10.75 at 289 KPa. Personally, I couldn't have done this with a chip I've tried to tune with chips and I'm not good at it. FAST XFI is easier for me.

[quote="OhioC5, Personally, I couldn't have done this with a chip I've tried to tune with chips and I'm not good at it. FAST XFI is easier for me.[/quote]

That's funny! Good for you!!! :) I don't see why FAST XFI is really needed on a 12 second car though. Maybe when you are consistently running
10's or faster. At that power level things can go BOOM! in an instant. 10's or faster I can understand spending that money for a stand alone engine management system.

The OP has stated no clear goals and is running 11.87. I agree with the folks who mentioned buy go fast goodies at this point. When you hit 10's look at FAST.

When you do get around to buy a FAST system, BUY IT FROM CAL!!! :)