Fan turn on temp question

Turbo6Smackdown

I was wondering about our chip's (both eric's & bob's chips) fan turn on speed. I know they turn on a bit lower than stock but is that it? What other factors does the ecm take into account when turning on the fan. Does it look at vehicle speed or rpms at all?
Why I ask is because it can't be just a 166 fan turn on point & that's it because what if you're 170 and driving 55 mph then what? Your fan would still be running? Hell at that rate you'd burn out your motors because it would be running all the time right? Plus the fan would never be able to draw air across the radiators as fast as driving 55 mph so it would be a waste. What else does it take into account?

Well my sd2 chip I set it to turn on at 170 . So with my sd2 and I believe all of Eric's chips if your Colant temp is above the set point the fans will be on even if you r driving 55mph 80mph 100mph it doesn't matter

My regular chips have selectable fan temp, 175 or 145, basically street or race mode. But can be ordered with what ever you want. The stock ecm does not do vehicle speed logic well. The stock fans seem to tolerate being on all the time pretty well.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Ah I see. Not sure I'm comfortable with all that. I mean, what's the fan motors doing when they're trying to turn something and it's going faster than they can keep up with? Plus fans are a pretty high draw item from what I hear. What's that doing to the alternator? I think it's manual fan harness time. :)

Been working that way for 30 years. Don't fix what ain't broke!

If you're afraid of burning the motor out then switch to a set of Spal fans. They'll last longer than you'll live worrying so much.

I was wondering about our chip's (both eric's & bob's chips) fan turn on speed. I know they turn on a bit lower than stock but is that it? What other factors does the ecm take into account when turning on the fan. Does it look at vehicle speed or rpms at all?
Why I ask is because it can't be just a 166 fan turn on point & that's it because what if you're 170 and driving 55 mph then what? Your fan would still be running? Hell at that rate you'd burn out your motors because it would be running all the time right? Plus the fan would never be able to draw air across the radiators as fast as driving 55 mph so it would be a waste. What else does it take into account?
You need one of those old school ATR Fan Revision Kits. The kit came with an electric module that replaces the stock high speed relay and is designed to switch the fan on immediately after start up. Once the car reaches a traveling speed of approximately 30 - 40 mph, the fan will shut off via the "airflow pressure switch" mounted behind the grill. Had one on my GN for years. Worked like a charm. Here's what it looks like http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1987-B...64e56a08a:g:SkwAAOSwll1Ww1kr&vxp=mtr#viTabs_0

If you're afraid of burning the motor out then switch to a set of Spal fans. They'll last longer than you'll live worrying so much.

It's not only about burning up the motor but it's about wasted energy, and putting a totally and completely unnecessary draw on the alternator. Plus I like the stock look :)

Thanks for all the intel thus far guys!

You could wire a kill switch for the fan. One mode would be normal auto mode. Then the kill for long highway trips if you so dare. Obviously this will be a problem when you slip and leave it off.

don't need to rewire the fan, just the relay trigger wire from the ECM. I can think of a couple clever ways to do it.

what version chip are you running right now?

B

Give Bob a problem and he always finds a " clever solution " [emoji4]

In a stock chip the ECM turns the fan off at 48mph and anything over 63% TPS. Not sure what Eric's or Bob's chips do.

Oh I know if anyone could figure it out it would be Bob Bailey. I run three chips, Bobs alky chip, TT alky, & a TT non alky street. And Mikestertwo, if the old factory chip can do that wouldn't Bob's or Eric's be able to as well?

Oh I know if anyone could figure it out it would be Bob Bailey. I run three chips, Bobs alky chip, TT alky, & a TT non alky street. And Mikestertwo, if the old factory chip can do that wouldn't Bob's or Eric's be able to as well?
I looked into my TT chip and the code is there to turn the fan off at 48 mph and the TPS appears to be set for 50% turnoff on the fan.

if I remember correctly, the TPS threshold works the way you think it does. The MPH does not.

The MPH is only related to the AC fan override: When the AC is on it will turn the fan on unless the temp is below the turn-off temp and the MPH is above that setting. So it does not work the way you want it to. (thus the ATR fan gizmo)

its technically possible to patch the chip to do this. we haven't since there has been no demand for it.

Bob

If the car car has a 160 thermostat, fans will come on at say 170, unless advised differently.
That is one of the reasons the fan comes on at a temp higher than the thermostat.

If the car runs at say 180 on the freeway with a 160, the fan will run but the coolant system may be also be suspect, which the chip maker could not take into account. So in that example, the chip could be reburned to come on at 185.

If you have dual Spal fans, could a company like Turbo Tweak program the "chip" to start both fans at say 170 degrees & then program them to cycle off once a certain MPH has been reached?