exhaust housings on te45a turbo

stevek

I have an te45a turbo with a precision exhaust housing and i read on another post to have the exhaust housing changed over to a garrett housing to increase spool up and little more power. Is the housing just changed or are the blades changed also and the whole turbo needs to be sent out i assume to Bison to be changed.

You can just change the exhaust housing but need to make sure it is machined for a TE45A. Dave Husek usually has some. He can hook you up. Got mine from him.

I've seen 45A's made with different kinds of turbine wheels, so watch for that. Also, if the turbo has some runtime on it, it may be tough to get the housing off.

Bob

I've seen 45A's made with different kinds of turbine wheels, so watch for that. Also, if the turbo has some runtime on it, it may be tough to get the housing off.

I wanted to do the same thing with my TE45A but couldn't get the housing off . I sent it to Bison for R&R and ended up getting a new turbo due to the work it needed . He had a hell of a time getting the housing off .

Last edited:
DSCN0267.JPG
DSCN0267.JPG
DSCN0290.JPG
here is some older pics of exhaust side of my te45a turbo , does this look a standard turbine or is to tough to tell. maybe once i take it off i'll just send out turbo itself .

iirc a TE45a is a 66mm compressor with a PTrim exhaust wheel. I think the Garrett hsg will give quicker spool up and driveability while the Precision hsg might give you some top end.... but I guess stall speed will help determine spool time also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i..... I think the Garrett hsg will give quicker spool up and driveability while the Precision hsg might give you some top end.... but I guess stall speed will help determine spool time also......

Your thinking is totally correct, I have installed 6 TE-45A turbos so far this year, and have 2 more in the works for January, and will only use a Garrett exhaust housing!

if you cannot beat your opponent off the line, doubtful if can be the winner. :)

My torque converter i from Dave Husek i believe it is a 3021 , I'll try to get ahold of Dave and ask him to make sure thanks