engine work

chris_mile

hey guys its been awhile since iv been around and its time to get knee deep im wondering where on of the best places are to take the national for an overhaul. im looking at getting the rebuild kit from postons and the champion heads too. any suggestions? thanks guys.

Are you planning on removing the engine yourself? If you're going to have your motor out yourself then there are Ted's and Snyder's but the wait will be very long. Okuhara's machine shop can do all the work for you if you're not planning on getting the motor out yourself and they do there own machine work and engine rebuliding.

I had Snyder's do the machine work on my block on the last rebuild, but BEWARE!!! They did good work, but their "2 weeks" was actually 4 MONTHS!!! I got the impression they had other "regulars" that would bring them work and they would put them in the front of the line.... Do you plan to do the teardown/rebuild yourself? I have a cherry picker and engine stand if you need one...

Derrick

Engine rebuild

Yeah it could be fun to build your own engine up and have the honors of saying you built it. But what happens if you screw up then there is no warranty....but if you take the work to someone usually they will warranty the work plus you don't have to worry about lifting a single finger.....another problem with building your own engine is the down time which is usually considerable due to the fact that most machine shops take forever to get your stuff done.....oh well just a couple of things to think about....
:cool:

Engine work huh?

Those were and still are the days. I dont miss them but, when the car is running I wouldn't mind building up a spare engine (just in case). Snyders did the machining on my block and I assembled it all. They quoted me for two weeks and I got it in two. The machine work consisted of hot tank and magna-fluxing the block, decking the block, installing cylinder o-rings, over-bore, R&R cam bearings, polish and balancing of the crank, line-boring the billet-caps, R&R brass freeze plugs, and hanging the pistons to the rods. Cost around $1,100 and they did a decent job.
Derek:cool: