engine start up problems

Santos Moreno

I need some help in diagnosing a hesitation problem.... its an 87 gn with 87xxx miles. When I go and start the car and its been sitting for more than 4 hours it fires right up but it dies and this process can keep going for a while, not unless I hit the gas at 1500-2000 rpm for 5 minutes and the car will stay running but with a rough idle. CHECK ENGINE will come on, but if I can put it in drive and take it for a spin the CHECK ENGINE light will go off and as soon I get back home after a 10 minute drive the car will IDLE nice and quiet.. I feel no power loss what so ever, but if you hit the gas hard and spin the tires and lift quickly the car will shut off some times....Ive change the fuel filter, and spark plugs, and waiting for a set of MSD wires and a Jegs Igniton coil Pack......I found An exhaust leak at the "test pipe" that the previous owner installed....Am I on the right track or could it be something else, llike injectors or a Vacuum leak or any other electrical component......Any suggestion would help, I am not to familiar with the MIGHTY V6 but I have lots of plans for this car but I want to enjoy it in a stock form before I start feeding the STEROIDS TO THIS POWER PLANT

Until you post some data logs, Scanmaster readings, etc, there's only guesse as to what's wrong....

Fuel psi?
Vac leaks?

Jegs ign pack?? If that's NOT a Delco, I'd rethink that strategy....

Get the code when the check engine is on. I sounds like a bad/miss adjusted idle air control valve.

vic