Engine shuts down

gndeligirl

Ok this is the third time my car has quit on me while driving to work. It only shuts down after 20 to30 minutes of driving.Car starts popping in the exaust and intake and the quits. Car will restart after a few minutes and then it might quit again or it will be fine once Im off the freeway. I have changed the maf the coiland module,with spares no help. the fuel pump is new also. Question does anyone know if the crank sensor could be intermittant like this. I need some serious help. THANKS

I've had that problem on my hot airs and know of a few others but I've never encountered it once on my IC cars. What would happen on the hot airs is the same problem. After the car was warmed up it would suddenly back fire and die. Everytime the ECM fuse would blow though. Since crank sensors are relativly cheap it might be a good place to start. Just make sure the air gap is set properly on the interupter ring. One cheap test that I find that works is if the car dies crawl up underneath and pass a screwdriver blade between the vanes of the crank sensor. You should hear the fuel pump relay clicking on the fender. This at least tells you a signal is being sent from the sensor. Hope this helps.

Check to make sure the balancer bolt isn't loose...if it is the balancer walks out and the crank sensor loses the signal then after sitting for some time the belt pulls the balancer back in place and the car starts...also check the cam sensor...pull the cap off and make sure the screw that holds the interrupter ring isn't loose...if it's the balancer remove the bolt...blue loctite it...crank it on with an impact...

Possible coil pack or module prob also. When it shuts down on you one time you need to check for spark while cranking when it will not start. Good luck,Frank:D

Thanks for the info, coilpak and module have been changed. No help. The biggest problem is that it is so intermittent. The car will restart. Just so unnerving driving on the freeway and having it stall.

u may want to check and see if u are gettin constant voltage to the comp...my car done the same thing due to the fact that the main power wire was loose in the ecm harness....drove me crazy and i would have never found it if i had not of replaced the carpet and seen it layin out of the harness....i could go 2 months and not a prob and then boom the car was down....so give that a whirl...
wes

i had this same EXACT problem when my car was stock...car would randomly die on me when coming to a stop...would start right back up...never knew what caused it...

i began doing all kinds of mods to my car...the problem went away...i cannot tell you exactly what causes that problem...i think my fuel pump was bad though...

also check all sensors...make sure you have new plugs, wires, coilpacks, clogged injectors might cause this as well, maybe a clogged cat would cause it too...