Engine Rebuild

supadave

Hi everyone.. my husband and I have an 87 gn and we need to rebuild the engine.. i bought the kit and everything else that i need to do this, but i am not sure of where to take it.. my husband is in florida so he cannot check into it for me..i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me? thanks, jazmin =)~

Give Darren at Okuhara's Machine Shop a call. I usually take my cars there if I got big jobs that I can't do. He does excellent work and its the only shop i'll take my car to. Just give him a call and mention ME (Jackson) :D

thanks for that info..i called, gave them your name, and got a price quote.. booked a date, but am still looking around for now.

the engine has about 116,000 miles on it..i have had the car less than a year... i myself dont know too much about the gn's but it is my daily driver and i know that there are a lot of leaks.. it seems to run really rough also..it seems as though its not getting enough air or something..my maf went out twice in the past 6 months and i replaced the computer..but it still runs funny.. it runs ok right now, i just dont want to wait until it breaks you know? my husband would know what to do if he were here, but since he's not, its just really hard for me and a bit scary too..and i dont know anyone else who knows anything about these cars so i cant get any help..guess you can say i'm confused????

116,000 miles is still kinda low for a rebuilt but I could be wrong. There is many thing, sensors, ect...that could be bad thats causing your problems. Leaks are easy to fix. Also too many of the rebuilt MAF go bad very easily or its no good anyways. Got a scan tool? I'll copy this post and put it in the general tech sec. maybe you'll get more info and help there.

But since you got the parts anyways, might as well.

Welcome to the board! :)

Does the car smoke a lot through the exhaust?

Who has been working on the car for you?

When you say the car has a lot of leaks-what kind (oil, water)? and where?

Is the oil changed regularly?

It could be that all you need is a good MAF, and some common maintainence stuff; gaskets,vacuum lines, plugs, wires, PCV, etc.

Geoff

I wouldn't go as far as a rebuild unless you have the $3000+ to do it. It sounds like you just need some "spring cleaning" type things and have it checked by someone that does work on these things a bit. I'm willing to bet you could have it running like new (or close to it) for under $300. And damn, for the $3000 for a rebuild, you could have it running SUPERB and faster than any other type of car out there if that's what you really wanted. I have a compression gauge. I would check that before going for a rebuild. If that all checked out fine (which I bet it would) I wouldn't go for the rebuild unless you have a good knock in the motor. Even if you just started replacing every sensor and gasket it wouldn't cost over about $1000 (I'm not including labor at these Hawaiian shops). They have to pay for the OUTRAGES cost of living here too). But I'm sure, myself included, there are a lot of people on here that are willing to look at it for you, and we have some "time" working on the TR's (literally a couple thousand hours on mine alone here).

Just putting my $.02 in here, but save some money unless absolutely necessary and just fix the problems vice replacing the world. :)

Derrick

P.S. They are inducing the wife this afternoon, so there will be ANOTHER Turbo Regal FANATIC in the world later today!!! :D

rebuild?

Rebuild or not to rebuild? That is the question. Since you guys are throwing in your pennies, I'll add my 2 cents too.

I believe and concur with them, you wouldn't want to rebuild the engine unless you got some kind of knocking noise emanating from the engine at start up or something. Or your car doesn't turnover as in the engine is frozen. To become clear in your decision to rebuild this motor, you should have the motor go through some tests. Like a compression test or cylinder leak down test. These test determine the condition of your cylinders, the piston ring wear, and valve condition. Just as important it also gives you an indication on the piston integrity. You need to get a basis on the engine condition before you determine if you’re going to rebuild or not. And the main reason is, at this time you're indicating bad idle characteristics and replacing ECM several times. Those problems are consistent with electrical discrepancies, not internal engine wear. The last thing you want to do is pump in hmm 2, 3000 bucks, have an excellent rebuilt engine, try to start it and have the same problem you had before you took the engine out. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
:)

If I had the cash I'd go for a rebuild. I had my heads finished up by Ted's and they put is some freebies for me. I started the port & polish, then I screwd up polishing the bowls. I got too close to the valve seats. I didnt know that I was supposed to leave the valves in and grind them from there:eek:. They adjusted my valves and 3 angle cut my seats for free. Oh well..they finished them up for me for less than $200.00. I think summit sells a rebuild kit for TRs for less than $600.00. Machining may run from $800 to $1200 if you're building it yourself. and up to as much as $4000 if you have the shop build it.

hey guys, i really appreciate the help..anyhow, here are my replies to you all- geoff: i do not have any smoke coming from the exhaust right now. i did 2 months ago so i took it to the buick dealership in waipahu, had a diagnostic done, ended up being the computer and maf..replaced both, no problems yet. besides that, only my husband works on the car. the leaks that i know of are oil and coolant leaks-there may be others though. and yes, the oil has been changed regularly by me =)~ "gokada": great advice on the compression test..dont know how to do that though?.. husbands suggests it... Derrick: first, let me congratulate you on your lil one! boy or girl? but i would really appreciate if i could get some insight as to what else may or may not be wrong with the car.. if anyone has time, you can reach me at this number: 677-4291..if i am not home, leave a message and i will call back. thanks!

I would suggest you check for codes as far as the rough idle. I wouldn't rebuild yet. I have 127000 miles, and it's still running strong. I would fix the leaks,and save your money for when the rebuild is needed.
Maybe one of us could check for you.
Welcome to the board:D

Paul

thanks for looking out Paul.. i actually just emailed derrick and asked him to talk to you all to see if someone could check the beast out for me? it seems you guys are afraid to call so heres my email address if you can help: jada6657@aol.com. =)~