Engine gets hot sometimes

Will try a re-torque to see before I pull the engine :mad:.

How often is a re-torque is it required with Cosmetics ?

Besides I need to adjust the rockers anyway.

What machining to the deck and heads did you do prior to installing the Cometics?

It had Cometics on it when one let go so I took the heads off and just replaced then both.

I did talk to a few people before I put them on and the told me it needed an AR2 ? finish or better.

I outlined all the water passages on both sides of the gasket like recommended by someone on this board.

Over the winter since it is put up, I will retorque the heads with my new torque wrench and add the GM tablets like mentioned before.

I guess it is totally different than my Tomahawk with a procharger.

There are a lot of opinions on how to install cometic head gaskets. I have always followed manufacturers recommended procedure and have had good luck with it. When installed dry they really don't need a re torque. If you use any kind of sealant it can interfere with getting a good even clamp on the gasket. In this case it may need re torque.
Try a re torque without loosening. If the nuts move, you may get lucky. If they don't move, you may find yourself redoing head gaskets.

Good luck and keep us posted. I be curious if nuts move.

It had Cometics on it when one let go so I took the heads off and just replaced then both.

I did talk to a few people before I put them on and the told me it needed an AR2 ? finish or better.

I outlined all the water passages on both sides of the gasket like recommended by someone on this board.

Over the winter since it is put up, I will retorque the heads with my new torque wrench and add the GM tablets like mentioned before.

I guess it is totally different than my Tomahawk with a procharger.

If this was my situation, the last thing I would do is put those pills in my rad. That does more harm then good. Coats your rad , motor and heater core with sludge. I did it once in the past and when I tore it apart I swore never to do that again. It ruined my rad and affected the heat I was getting inside the car. Bandaid fixes are not the answer. Retorque or replace the head gaskets imo.

Last edited:
Winter is here so i would pull the engine and have the heads checked and or resurfaced if needed and replace the head gaskets. Do it right and forget all about the over heating / loss of water problem.

I like and use the Fel-Pro 9441 pt head gaskets. The set on there now are 8 years old and never an issue with a pte 67 turbo at 21lbs boost. I'm not as aggressive as some people but i like to drive and enjoy my car which means keeping the head gaskets where they belong. lol

Here is a thread that may interest you.

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/who-has-the-best-head-gasket.430396/#post-3579652

If this was my situation, the last thing I would do is put those pills in my rad. That does more harm then good. Coats your rad , motor and heater core with sludge. I did it once in the past and when I tore it apart I swore never to do that again. It ruined my rad and affected the heat I was getting inside the car. Bandaid fixes are not the answer. Retorque or replace the head gaskets imo.

That is the plan to first try to re-torque to see if that stops the leak. If the heads have to come off, then the engine will come out. I did them both the the engine in place and I will never do that again.

Winter is here so i would pull the engine and have the heads checked and or resurfaced if needed and replace the head gaskets. Do it right and forget all about the over heating / loss of water problem.

I like and use the Fel-Pro 9441 pt head gaskets. The set on there now are 8 years old and never an issue with a pte 67 turbo at 21lbs boost. I'm not as aggressive as some people but i like to drive and enjoy my car which means keeping the head gaskets where they belong. lol

Here is a thread that may interest you.

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/who-has-the-best-head-gasket.430396/#post-3579652

I am thinking if I pull the engine now I do away with the 109 block and upgrade to 14-bolt heads and block.

When installed dry they really don't need a re torque. If you use any kind of sealant it can interfere with getting a good even clamp on the gasket. In this case it may need re torque.
Try a re torque without loosening. If the nuts move, you may get lucky. If they don't move, you may find yourself redoing head gaskets.

Good luck and keep us posted. I be curious if nuts move.

Over the winter I will do this.

I was wondering how much water pressure does the water pump impose when it is spinning at highway speed ? Does it increase with engine speed ?

Would an electric water pump stay constant ? :yawn: