Engine cranks trys to start.

Would a car start with the MAF unplugged? Can you swap maf's with somebody local? Is it the stock MAF?
The car seems to run a little bit better with the stock MAF disconnected. It will stay running if I keep the throttle body cracked just a bit. But it is running rough. All of the spark plugs are firing and look good
In order to get the car to run I replaced the Ignition module (auto zone). Seems like the timing is off. But how. And it is running rich!
This car was running good! Came out of the store two weeks ago cranked no fire. Towed it home

Sounds like a good time to ditch the stock maf. If possible at least try a known good one if there is another Buick guy in your area.

I've seen where off brand modules throw off injector timing and require a tweak of the cam sensor. Don't know how but there is something different about them.

I would get a ac delco module or switch to a type2 ignition set up.

Rick

I've seen where off brand modules throw off injector timing and require a tweak of the cam sensor. Don't know how but there is something different about them.

I would get a ac delco module or switch to a type2 ignition set up.

Rick
Who sells the type 2 setup? Cost less?

I received the AC Delco Ignition Module and coil from NOS4GN.com.
This fixed the problem! The car is running just fine now!!
AUTO ZONE modules do not work in Turbo Cars apparently!!

Our board vendors are great and supportive, and Highway Star is no exception. I too bought both AC Delco Ignition Module and coil from Glen.
You claimed you have 40,000 miles on the engine, is that original mileage or rebuilt mileage?
If it's original 40,000 mileage, then you might want to start in looking into replacing the timing chain, nylon cam sprocket gear, cam button and chain tensioner.
Do a search and you will find many members has replaced the nylon sprocket gear since from the factory is 25 years of age. You don't want this to break while engine is running, or it will cause major engine damage.

173,000 miles on the car, engine replaced in 2000 with a gm crate motor.
Thanks for the heads up.
Earl Brown states that the stock timing setup is good for 100,000 or 20 years.

I received the AC Delco Ignition Module and coil from NOS4GN.com.
This fixed the problem! The car is running just fine now!!
AUTO ZONE modules do not work in Turbo Cars apparently!!

Glad it's working. I have a new wells module I purchased from kirban some time ago. What a piece of junk, out of the box it didn't work!!!!! Never had an issue with anything from Highways Stars.