Engine cranks trys to start.

Sinisturbo

Maximum Entropy
Out driving my Turbo Limited the other day. Shut it off to run into a store came out it cranks and try's to start. Fires and misses. Engine has about 40,000 miles on it.
I have checked spark and fuel and have both. I tried moving the cam sensor a little bit Clock wise. No help.
Checked the cam sensor cap and it does switch from 11 volts to 1 volt when I place a feeler gauge in the groove.
I noticed that I can pull the metal ring on the sensor out about 3/16 of an inch??
Kinda stumped and have been searching the archives and on Vortex Buick also.

Sounds like mass air flow.Try tapping on it or unplug it and see what happens.

Any issues before shutting it off like a high idle? Whats the tps voltage look like? Battery voltage still good?

Any issues before shutting it off like a high idle? Whats the tps voltage look like? Battery voltage still good?
No the car was running fine, the TPS voltage is .43, the crank sensor looks good not loose or broken. And I have spark.

You said it had spark and fuel then it has to do something. Either run or backfire. I'd re-check fuel and spark again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may OR may not help, but last time this happened to me, it was my timing chain. Car tried to start and backfired, and I seen a puff of smoke through my air filter. Just a thought though. Good luck finding it

This may OR may not help, but last time this happened to me, it was my timing chain. Car tried to start and backfired, and I seen a puff of smoke through my air filter. Just a thought though. Good luck finding it

Phil Jordan
Yes it trys to start and pops! Wonderful, Sounds like I need to check the timiing mark on the balancer and TDC of piston number 1. The timing chain can jump a tooth? @#!%&!!

Do a compression test to see if thats the case. My compression was somewhere in the 70 range when my chain jumped time. It was so random to because I had drove the car, parked, went in the house, stepped back outside to start it, and it wouldn't start.:cry:

I.A.C. !!!
HAD THE ISSUE WITH MY TTA
REPLACED THE IAC.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Yeah same here, that's why in my earlier post I was asking about some high idle situations. I would pull it off and clean it either way.

Had same issue "tries to start then pops". My cam sensor moved ~60*. Check your cam sensor timing.

Walter

Ok Back at it. Replaced the IAC still will not start and stay running un less I keep the throttle body open part way but it still is running rough. Like the firing order is off.
I have front 426 back 153. I have moved the cam sensor cw and ccw.
Also the cam sensor has some end play I can pull it up about 3/16"?

Ok Back at it. Replaced the IAC still will not start and stay running un less I keep the throttle body open part way but it still is running rough. Like the firing order is off.
I have front 426 back 153. I have moved the cam sensor cw and ccw.
Also the cam sensor has some end play I can pull it up about 3/16"?

Any one? If the timing chain slipped how would you check the cam timing.
Valve lifters opening?

"noticed that I can pull the metal ring on the sensor out about 3/16 of an inch??"

Start there.

Check your crank sensor, was at Gateway Int. Raceway 20 some odd years ago.
Kicked up something off the track,clobbered the crank sensor.
Borrowed one off another Buick guy there and got it running.