EGR issues?

asrnj77

So tried a vacuum leak test. Hooked a compressor to the lines and sprayed the soapy water. No signs of a leak but a definite sound of a leak. The leak sound appears to be coming from the EGR. Usually not an issue but the emissions chip is hooked up and running the EGR. It appears to be hooked up properly but clearly not working (I bombed N0x in emissisons). It sounds like maybe it's stuck open? Is there a way to test this? Does anybody have an extra EGR laying around that I can try? Thanks

Idle the car in the driveway and lift up on the bottom of the round EGR valve the thing should move for ya and the idle should drop and almost stall the car.

If it's stuck it won't move at all and won't be working emissions chip or not.

Vacuum is supposed to lift but if you can't with fingers on either side of it it's stuck in there.

Non-use with most non-EGR chips can gum them up when you go to use them with an emissions chip.

Yeah it wouldn't budge..guess it's gummed up. Autozone says they sell them for $36. Is it just the EGR itself that I need to replace? Just pull the bolt on the bottom and switch it out?

Should be all you have to do.

I was able to free mine up every year, never changed it out.

Yours will probably be good if you can remove the old one and clean it.

Diaphragm usually doesn't go bad they just get stuck.

When you free it up by cleaning polishing etc. so it fits and moves free it should work with vacuum.

Or you can swap it out for a replacement, save the stocker I believe the replacements aren't identical in looks, might be worth something in another 10 years. :cool:

EGR valve itself, not the solenoid.

If you have hose problems, or vaccum isn't getting to the valve, that would be another problem, they work at part throttle not at idle or WOT the pulsing of the EGR solenoid which causes various amounts of vaccum to open the valve while driving.

Usually it's the EGR valve that gets stuck though that is the only problem, I'd pull it out and clean it up and wire brush all the carbon off it, if it moves freely with your fingers behind it on the car and stalls it out a bit at idle I'd skip the replacement but make sure it works with the emissions chip too.